Thread: instrument cluster of M5 in 540

My Cars
    BMW 540I6

instrument cluster of M5 in 540

HI,

My name is Federico and I'm new in this forum. I'm writing from Argentina so my english is very poor. I'm sory.

I want to know if my instrument cluster of M5 can show me the lights red/orange and the oil temperature.

My car is a 540i6 of 06/1997
    I bought the car with this instrument cluster but doesn't work complete.
    I have a BMWscanner, could be used to repair it?

what would be the steps to repair it?

Thanks!!

My Cars
    BMW 540I6
    one more thing, when i traid to change the odometer I cant because the scanner doesnt let me.

how I can to change it?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Your English is better than some of the Americans that post here.
    Pretty sure the chip needs to be changed so the mileage can be set to your actual mileage
    You need to get in touch with Blackknight530i, Paul can answer all of those questions.

My Cars
    BMW 540I6
    thanks JimLev!!

I'll put in contact with him to know more about this thread.

My Cars
    BMW 540I6
    One more question, can I make the oil temp and the orange/red lights work fine?

Or I've to change another module?

In the hidden menu I can see the oil temp and the water temp but in digital way, I would like the instrument cluster to work in its entirety.

Thanks for all!!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Paul can answer those questions for you.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    FEDERS,

Unfortunately, since your 97 540i doesn't have the M62TU engine, the oil temp lights and gauge will not be able to work in your car. You can however get the other functions working, though it would only be a cosmetic upgrade. Sorry. If you want just the cosmetic upgrade of having a M5 cluster (higher speedometer max speed and higher tach, but non-working oil temp gauge and warm up lights), I can help you mileage correct and code the cluster, but it would require sending me the cluster and a readout from PA Soft from your car with the original cluster in it. PM me if you're still interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the odometer can't be changed without sending the cluster to have the chip erased and correct information loaded. It can then download the correct mileage from the car.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    BMW 540I6
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    FEDERS,

Unfortunately, since your 97 540i doesn't have the M62TU engine, the oil temp lights and gauge will not be able to work in your car. You can however get the other functions working, though it would only be a cosmetic upgrade. Sorry. If you want just the cosmetic upgrade of having a M5 cluster (higher speedometer max speed and higher tach, but non-working oil temp gauge and warm up lights), I can help you mileage correct and code the cluster, but it would require sending me the cluster and a readout from PA Soft from your car with the original cluster in it. PM me if you're still interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the odometer can't be changed without sending the cluster to have the chip erased and correct information loaded. It can then download the correct mileage from the car.
    thank you for all blackknight530i!!

I bought the car with this instrument cluster and the ex owner said me that reprograming the LCM module, the instrument work fine.... :S :S

I thought that this was something simple. Thanks for all !!

My Cars
    BMW 540I6
    Paul, some days ago, I found a page where sell a module for all E39's with m5 instrument cluster. the lights and the oil temp work fine. Unfortunately I didnt save at that moment the page and now a dont remember where I can find it... Do you know about something?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by FEDERS View Post
    Paul, some days ago, I found a page where sell a module for all E39's with m5 instrument cluster. the lights and the oil temp work fine. Unfortunately I didnt save at that moment the page and now a dont remember where I can find it... Do you know about something?
    I knew someone made one, but not that someone was selling them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    BMW 540I6
    hello Paul, forgive me for bothering you again.
    I just found out that I have an ekombi2 module installed in the car ( https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...roduct=EKOMBI2 ), with which I can see the temperature of the oil and the water in digital form.
    Does this module serve to make work the M5 instrument cluster? The leds light and the oil temp gauge?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by FEDERS View Post
    hello Paul, forgive me for bothering you again.
    I just found out that I have an ekombi2 module installed in the car ( https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...roduct=EKOMBI2 ), with which I can see the temperature of the oil and the water in digital form.
    Does this module serve to make work the M5 instrument cluster? The leds light and the oil temp gauge?
    I don't think that will make the m5 cluster lights and gauge work. I believe that just takes the info and displays it on the message center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-Paul