Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tranny Drain/Fill & 2 new axles

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
    and BTW should be almost no difference when you change your fluid if your tranny is OK
    orly? the more he changes the fluid now @130K+ miles, the more he introduces detergents that move the gunk from the place they DIDNT do damage to a place where they COULD

if it whines and isnt underfilled its goin south IMO
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Orxan4ik View Post
    orly? the more he changes the fluid now @130K+ miles, the more he introduces detergents that move the gunk from the place they DIDNT do damage to a place where they COULD

If it whines and isn't under filled its going south IMO.
    Well, I guess it is a good thing that his transmission was under-filled...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i

if it whines and isnt underfilled its goin south IMO
    The concept of tranny fluid in and around the Albany area from NNNYYY528 is well documented. Being consistent doesn't make one right; he's of the firm belief to never replace tranny fluid. Then again he believes all brake rotors are "the same" and Karlyn balljoints are FTW.

In post # 19, subset #3, I stated the above highlighted.

I also offered that since topping off, the noise has disappeared...which still isn't any guarantee the tranny is fine. These autos are imho on borrowed time anywhere post 100K miles and this is from reading hundreds of items and speaking to several very sharp folks. Automatics, they are what they are.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    MY02 530iA Sprt, '95 911
    only got 4 liters out when I did my drain and fill? was I low all along?
    Ken

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    The concept of tranny fluid in and around the Albany area from NNNYYY528 is well documented. Being consistent doesn't make one right; he's of the firm belief to never replace tranny fluid. Then again he believes all brake rotors are "the same" and Karlyn balljoints are FTW.
    idk whats NNY got to do with this but fwiw he has yet to post about a problem with his car, let alone have it towed. a 97 with 170K miles, on original transmission fluid too

take notes
    Last edited by Orxan4ik; 03-31-2011 at 12:51 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    idk whats NNY got to do with this but fwiw he has yet to post about a problem with his car, let alone have it towed. a 97 with 170K miles, on original transmission fluid too

take notes
    Take notes?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=409201

Notes I need?

Take notes? LOL. If you read the thread above linked and spent a fraction of your time researching (if you had a ZF auto) you'd find out that ALL (even Porsche) are on BORROWED TIME after 75K NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR DO NOT DO.

With 137K on the clock you missed the point...my tranny was acting badly. Note that I addressed it like a ZF Jedi would've at 137.5K miles. And if the tranny decides to not accept my love and tender care via fresh juice and fluid, I tried. At that point, I remove a handful of bolts and drop the tranny and remove it like an Alabama tick and install one from NJ.

You're reading my thread. Not sure I need to take notes.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    Take notes?

Notes I need?

Take notes? LOL. If you read the thread above linked and spent a fraction of your time researching (if you had a ZF auto) you'd find out that ALL (even Porsche) are on BORROWED TIME after 75K NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR DO NOT DO.

With 137K on the clock you missed the point...my tranny was acting badly. Note that I addressed it like a ZF Jedi would've at 137.5K miles. And if the tranny decides to not accept my love and tender care via fresh juice and fluid, I tried. At that point, I remove a handful of bolts and drop the tranny and remove it like an Alabama tick and install one from NJ.

I do have a ZF, its a lill beefier than yours so idk bout borrowed time after 75K miles. Seen em ALL (even GM hydramatics) go over 150K so I guess it depends how lucky you get

it sure is your thread, my car is fully operational, so do take notes if u want urs to be too lol
    Last edited by Orxan4ik; 03-31-2011 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

take notes
    Take notes?

Notes I need?

Kids, kids...
    Do I need to put you two in a time-out?

LOL!
    It's no mystery that these transmissions are very sensitive to having the correct level of ATF in them IMO.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I do have a ZF, its a lill beefier than yours so idk bout borrowed time after 75K miles. Seen em ALL (even GM hydramatics) go over 150K so I guess it depends how lucky you get

it sure is your thread, my car is fully operational, so do take notes if u want urs to be too lol
    No truer words spoken regarding autotragic ZF's, "Luck."

Do I believe I killed my tranny by driving her -.3 of a liter for an hour total? Nope. The noise was heard only when cold. Do I believe swapping fluid itself created more or greater issues? Nope. Do I believe my tranny may have had an issue, I dunno. I know I need a driveshaft. That I do know. And rear wheel bearings. And to install my crank and two cam shaft sensors. I'd like to move on and away from my tranny, time will tell. I cannot will it to work.

If it decides to crap out I have a plan. Which is all you can do with these transmissions is wait for the day they die and my plan was post # 15:

http://www.autotransparts.com/cart.p...t_detail&p=991

Snag a beefed up version from Joe Sirugo and talk to Gumbi to see if they would like to install. It's prolly ~$500.00 and Five Guys Burger for install.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 03-31-2011 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    2003 525i

Update...

If you read above you'll see I had a slight noise when cold, post fluid change.
    My tranny is now and has been super duper quiet.
    No noise when cold.
    The noise was there for two days---due to slightly low fluid.
    The tranny has been super quiet and silky smooth.
    However...I cheaped-out and re-used my original fill plug (and drain plug).
    My fill plug now has the slightest leak.
    Going to remove FILL PLUG tomorrow evening.
    Run it through the check-fill-full procedure...and install a NEW fill plug.

Set it and forget it. Can't wait to be miles away from feeling skeered about tranny.

cliffs: When you do this...buy a new set of drain/fill plugs and install when you do your FINAL tranny fluid/filter swap.

Here is another fyi/diy:

http://bimmerinfo.com/e46trans.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12