Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Drain/Fill & 2 new axles

My Cars
    2003 525i

Tranny Drain/Fill & 2 new axles

1). Well documented issues of late:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1615440

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1618822

2). TODAY was two new rear axles (so much easier than re-booting and re-packing CV's) and ZF Auto Tranny drain, new filter and Pentosin ATF1.

3). For those of you timid about touching your tranny...it's no more difficult than an oil change. With the exception of needing to know the temperature of the tranny, it's an oil change to your engine, but it's your tranny. Very simple. Joe from Eurodyne has the DIY in the DIY Section above. Jason5driver has a few threads as well.

4). Installed new rear differential/output shaft seals. Installed new axles. Made certain my rear differential flanges were IN ALL THE WAY.

5). Gumbi4u lead the way with I6 technical modifications...he supercharged his I6, beefed up differential and also his transmission. I would like to do what he did here and if I can find the funds, will place him and his shop in charge of doing the following, "Gears and lubricant...the best of both worlds":

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz56gJ2rgqw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

6). My ZF transmission IS VERY HAPPY. There IS INDEED a noted change in the tranny. It is not placebo effect. The tranny has 137K miles. What came out of it was black syrup. There was no metal in the pan, a good sign. The tranny really revs up, the car feels snappier. I had my tranny DINAN-chipped along with the engine, about five years ago. The tranny now really spins up and then when you slow down, it quietly comes back down; our trannies are known the 'get lost' and kinda work like the original Cylons from Battlestar Galactica (clunky). My tranny is smoother. I had noticed it wasn't until now. I will wait another month or two and do it again. I used PENTOSIN ATF1 and a FEBI Filter. I'll use PENTOSIN again and an OEM filter. My entire process seemed to put back in about 6 new liters of fresh fluid. By doing it again in a month or so, I'll assure the vast majority of good, new fluid is in there.

7). Half-shafts and seals. I believe many of you will face rear diff leaks at the output shafts. Tackling the job is actually quite easy.

8). Half-shafts. I also believe some of you might have vibrations which can't seem to be resolved no matter what you do/replace. With high miles, consider your half-shafts to be a cause.

9). I wish I had the funds. I would hand Gumbi my keys and say, "The rear diff, do what you did, have the gear ratio changed to make my car a little faster and also drop the tranny and install an upgraded version with beefier parts from www.importperformancetrans.com or whomever is 'the' guy."

10). Next up...new driveshaft to eliminate any/all vibrations whatsoever end of story never wanna hear or feel another vibration in my car. And just prior to this...new wheels and tires as I am currently rolling on Style 16 Honeycombs with Blizzak WS70.

Pics...new outer axle nut, the sign of a complete job. Tranny ointments and Scarlett.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 03-15-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Great work!
    No more bang?
    I really wanted to see pictures of the old transmission fluid, although, Scarlett is soooo nice...

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 03-16-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    MY02 530iA Sprt, '95 911
    Great job man, will be doing a trans drain and fill over the weekend if my fluids get here on time...can't wait to see the condition of the old fluid.
    Ken

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Great job Fiver! Glad to hear you're back on the saddle again.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    I have an A4S-270R in my 528 with about 100,000 miles. Would a fluid/filter change benefit? If so, what fluid should I use?

My Cars
    00 540i, 11' X5 50i
    Do you mean 6 qts of ATF....not 6 Liters??

Current:
    2016 BMW 535i xDrive
    2017 Volvo XC60
    2000 BMW 540i

Past:
    2012 Audi A4 S-Line
    2011 BMW X5 50i
    2010 Mercedes ML350
    2002 Lexus IS300
    1998 Audi A6 Quattro
    1988 Honda Prelude

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al's540i View Post
    1 qt = .946 liters
    close enuf either way i think

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    So wait what exactly was the problem again? i read through both threads and it seemed to be 2 different things? So which "Well documented" issue is it lol?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Al's540i View Post
    I bought a 5 liter jug and then five individual liters.

Here is data on the Pentosin ATF1:

http://www.pentosin.net/pressrelease...in_ATF1_V3.pdf

I have 4.5 liters leftover after yesterday's effort.
    I'll buy another liter or two so that I can do it all again in a month or two.

My tranny is really, very, very happy. I notice a difference.

Everyone should drain their rear differential and fill er' up with LubroMoly. They should tackle their tranny at 50K miles and every two years (this is my plan looking back in time). I've done it at 137K miles and I will do this every 30K miles, until the thing explodes.

Between new axles, diff fluid, tranny fluid and oil change, my car is Charlie-Sheening aka winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary(FH) View Post
    So wait what exactly was the problem again? i read through both threads and it seemed to be 2 different things? So which "Well documented" issue is it lol?
    There is no problem.

I am winning.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 03-16-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i
    Oh so this is just a pre-cautionary maintinence thing?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary(FH) View Post
    Oh so this is just a pre-cautionary maintinence thing?
    Winning is always the plan.

If you read my threads linked above there was something fubar-ish taking place as the car locked up, wouldn't move, didn't throw codes at all and so I applied what is known in the medical field (when the Dr. prescribes the most powerful antibiotic) as "shotgun" therapy. Kill everything suspicious.

I killed the e-brakes, killed the rear axles, killed the rear diff (replaced seals and inspected it's innards and then gave her fresh 75w90) and then killed (to the best of my ability) my transmission. I do not have the ability to DIY a tranny re-build and could only drop the pan and take a looksy. If there were metal pieces abound, I'd look at it and then grab my wallet.

For now the car is without any Poltergeist, which is what it was as an unknown force would not allow my car to move in 'reverse' and then moved in 'drive' as if I were towing a tractor trailer.

I believe tranny service is a brilliant idea and I meant to do it much sooner and without a direct cause. I believe tranny service for the automatics should be required maintenance, just like engine oil changes. The 'lifetime' fill is a joke and the updated 'replace at 100K miles' is almost as funny. So the main thrust is, consider tackling your tranny service as it's a). muy importante and b). quite easy and c). you shouldn't fear doing tranny service.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    No more bang?
    I really wanted to see pictures of the old transmission fluid.

Thanks!
    Jason
    This ^.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    This ^.
    No bang or clunking or locking up, yet.

And close your eyes. It's dark, right? That's exactly what my fluid with 137K miles looked like. In fact it looked exactly like Guinness:

http://www.crawfishcoofcentralflainc...essDraught.jpg

The new fluid is amber, light honey and German. it resembled a damned fine IPA made here on Long Island, Hoptical Illusions for all you IPA lovers:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4...l+Illusion.JPG

Bottom line gents, don't dwell on what's sitting in a recyling bin at my local shop. My old fluid was black and the new fluid ain't.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    No bang or clunking or locking up, yet.

And close your eyes. It's dark, right? That's exactly what my fluid with 137K miles looked like. In fact it looked exactly like Guinness:

http://www.crawfishcoofcentralflainc...essDraught.jpg

The new fluid is amber, light honey and German. it resembled a damned fine IPA made here on Long Island, Hoptical Illusions for all you IPA lovers:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4...l+Illusion.JPG

Bottom line gents, don't dwell on what's sitting in a recycling bin at my local shop. My old fluid was black and the new fluid ain't.

Yes, I understand the old ATF was black, obviously...
    I was hoping to see a picture like this...

I think it is cool that your transmission pan has so many magnets to catch the metal...!

I think my pan only has one magnet...

Good to hear there is no more clunking...
    Makes sense that it came from your diff. CV's, since the clunking happened right after your work.

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Yes, I understand the old ATF was black, obviously...
    I was hoping to see a picture like this...

I think it is cool that your transmission pan has so many magnets to catch the metal...!

I think my pan only has one magnet...

Good to hear there is no more clunking...
    Makes sense that it came from your diff. CV's, since the clunking happened right after your work.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Joe Sirugo from here:

http://www.autotransparts.com/cart.p...t_detail&p=148

Believes it could be the D-G Drum Clutch about to go South.

I have signed up for AAA.
    I will budget for one of his transmissions.

In the meantime, drive the car.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 03-16-2011 at 09:25 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I don't want to jinx it, but the transmission continues to behave better than ever. Quiet. Smooth. Tight. I ask all of you who smoke to flick your cigarette lighter in the air and offer my tranny good vibes.

I hope to have the time and budget to now tackle the things that have mattered most to me...new driveshaft, new springs, new shocks for the rear and wheels/tires.

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    I have no service records for my car so after reading your post I ordered fluid and filter kit, thanks for the info and motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post

Here is data on the Pentosin ATF1:

http://www.pentosin.net/pressrelease...in_ATF1_V3.pdf
    This link did not work for me until I went to the Pentosin web site first, may need a cookie to see it, some milk may help too.
    Last edited by Hivolt540; 03-18-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 525i

Update...

I did the second drain and fill with new filter on Friday 3/25 after doing the first one on 3/15. It was about 250 miles since the initial drain/filter/fill.

Observations:

1). After the first drain/filter/fill on 3/15, the tranny was awesome post-service. Smooth, butter, quiet and happy.

2). After the 3/25 drain/filter/fill, the tranny had a metallicy, whirling noise ONLY when cold and ONLY at 2,800 RPM's out of first gear. Once the car was warmed up, the noise disappeared. It wasn't a horrible noise, but noted. The tranny shifted beautifully, no clunks, slips or slides.

3). I did some research and found this same Noise/RPM/When Cold occured with two types of situations. One, after someone did a tranny fluid drain/filter/flush...and their tranny was going to bite the dust. Two, after someone did a tranny fluid drain/filter/flush and they may be low on fluid.

See 'o1sport' and his posts:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=619814

# 21:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...problem-3.html

I also wonder if the FEBI Filter might not be to blame, though I doubt it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Editor's Note: It's IMPERETIVE that only original (OEM) BMW filters with the word "FILTRAN" stamped on it be used. The OEM filters have vertical ridges on the interior that prevent the filter from collapsing on itself under pressure, which can starve the transmission for fluid and cause the dreaded metallic "whining" noise. -- David Cecil

4). It is crucial to not underfill, even slightly. I put the car on the lift last night, as the noise was only heard a few times over the weekend. When you do a tranny fluid drain/filter/fill, it is normal to hear some odd noises as the fluid is worked around so you give it a little time to re-balance and work air out etc. However, the noise was apparent, not going away and I opted to give her one last chance. I didn't drive over the weekend and after hearing it yesterday morning in the cold...I put the car on lift last night and re-filled her. On 3/15 and 3/25 I was a ninja in monitoring what came out and what went back in. However, it seems that even being off by 1/3 of a liter, you can get 'this' noise.

5). The noise was not there this morning and it was 32* outside.

I hope the noise stays away. Hope the tranny lasts for a year or two more. I did use a FEBI Filter both times, I doubt that is the cause, but it's noted. I believe the proper level is there, it couldn't have been off by a small amount. The pump I use is driven by compressed shop-air...it contains a ton of bubbles and I can say on 3/25 I added the fluid when it was closer to 50*C. Anyway, back-tracked to see if low fluid is the cause. Since the noise is gone today, let's pray.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 03-30-2011 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    That's a standard "use our parts only or else" warning. I would imagine your filter is fine, but if you want to be perfectly safe swap back to OEM.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix2k View Post
    That's a standard "use our parts only or else" warning. I would imagine your filter is fine, but if you want to be perfectly safe swap back to OEM.
    +1.

There was no noise this morning. I just went out at lunch and no noise as well. Temps are going to drop considerably tonight. I'll let her sit and test her again when cold-cold.

I think my tranny is fine. Shifting flawlessly, quieter than ever, smoother than ever. My next BMW will be a manual. I've changed several clutches in my old Honda and Volkswagen, cheaper than a tranny lol.

Can I move onto driveline issues like driveshaft and rear wheel bearings?

Can I? Please...

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Lots of tales out there about filters. Add in people freely mixing ZF and GM transmission information, and you have quite a bit of misinformation. "Filtran" is a brand of aftermarket filter made by SPX. As I recall, they were OEM for GM years ago. Don't think they ever were a direct supplier to ZF.

/.randy

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Lots of tales out there about filters. Add in people freely mixing ZF and GM transmission information, and you have quite a bit of misinformation. "Filtran" is a brand of aftermarket filter made by SPX. As I recall, they were OEM for GM years ago. Don't think they ever were a direct supplier to ZF.
    Word.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    I can line up a couple of dozen different Filtrans that all say "made in China" now days.

/.randy

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Filter has no relation to noise
    hope tranny is not going to be "caput"
    On your place i'll better pray

and BTW should be almost no difference when you change your fluid if your tranny is OK
    Last edited by champaign777; 03-30-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast