Thread: Stupid BMW dealers

My Cars
    2003 540i m-sport

Stupid BMW dealers

We'll, I was excited BMW NA was paying for 75% of the cost of replacing the instrument cluster for bad pixels. I would need to pay for the labor. I thought it would be an hour at best so no big deal. When I called BMW to see how much this would cost they quoted me $1000 for the cluster and 1.9 hours of labor. YIKES!

What's the freaking point.

Looks like if I want to get it fixed I'll just ship it out to VDO.

My Cars
    540i, Brabus
    1.9hrs of Labor .. HAHAHAHAHa .. crooks!

I can swap a cluster in under 10 minutes.

My Cars
    540i, Brabus
    Just tell them to send you the cluster for the 25% you need to pay and you will deal with the rest sending them back your old one ..

My Cars
    2003 540i m-sport
    I'll still need to get it coded though.

My Cars
    88 535is/89 325ic
    you did go to dryer and reinbold, what else would you expect from them. I wouldn't give them the time of day. Go see Reggie up in Westfield to get your coding done.

My Cars
    2003 bmw 540i
    I called my local dealer yesterday to see how much they charged for the auto tranny filter+drain and fill not a complete flush $825.00 I said your f*cking crazy click only 2hrs labor and 585.00 in parts I did it myself for 130.00 not to mention they wanted 175.00 to verify that the Dinan tune is currently on the vehicle Leith BMW btw

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Kuni quoted me $600 to change ball joints, and $1000 to fix my oil filter housing gasket. Lol

My Cars
    2003 540i m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    you did go to dryer and reinbold, what else would you expect from them. I wouldn't give them the time of day. Go see Reggie up in Westfield to get your coding done.
    Unfortunately that's the price you pay when both dealers in the city have the same owners.

Interesting that Reggie will code the cluster. He did my thrust arms and seems to be really knowledgeable. I live right down the street from his shop.

My Cars
    BMW 1997 528I
    It seems to me that because BMW dealerships treat their service advisors as salesman, they will just make up the most ridiculous costs....

My Cars
    540i, Brabus
    BMW's mentality, if you don't want to pay those bills buy a new car ..

Talk about environmental costs then!

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by sferley View Post
    1.9hrs of Labor .. HAHAHAHAHa .. crooks!

I can swap a cluster in under 10 minutes.
    So can I....it is the coding that ends up eating some additional time. There is always "padding" in the book times, but one hour is reasonable charge. 1.9 hours is gouging.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernanzx View Post
    I called my local dealer yesterday to see how much they charged for the auto tranny filter+drain and fill not a complete flush $825.00 I said your f*cking crazy click only 2hrs labor and 585.00 in parts I did it myself for 130.00 not to mention they wanted 175.00 to verify that the Dinan tune is currently on the vehicle Leith BMW btw
    The fluid is the killer charge in that. They use the factory Exxon (now Mobil) synthetic fluid and it is $35+ per liter. You can get it from Bavauto.com for around $22 liter.

The couple times I had it done at a dealer (BMW Store, Vancouver, BC and BMW Seattle) it was around $500, maybe $550.
    Last edited by f355spider; 04-06-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by indy525 View Post
    We'll, I was excited BMW NA was paying for 75% of the cost of replacing the instrument cluster for bad pixels. I would need to pay for the labor. I thought it would be an hour at best so no big deal. When I called BMW to see how much this would cost they quoted me $1000 for the cluster and 1.9 hours of labor. YIKES!

Try another dealer would be your first option. Then have BMWNA have the service performed at the alternate dealer.

The part should retail for around $800 tops from most dealers. The majority of dealers charge for one hour of labor to perform the swap and coding.

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Convertible
    I am 99% certain that new clusters come bare, and do not need to be coded. The mileage is the concern, but a new cluster does not have the memory that a used cluster does. The cluster will take the cars mileage after XX miles of driving. I read all this on the e38 forum, There are some experts there, and they should be able to definitively answer this.

good luck,
    Joe

My Cars
    2001 740IL,2000 540I/6
    Quote Originally Posted by oldss72 View Post
    I am 99% certain that new clusters come bare, and do not need to be coded. The mileage is the concern, but a new cluster does not have the memory that a used cluster does. The cluster will take the cars mileage after XX miles of driving. I read all this on the e38 forum, There are some experts there, and they should be able to definitively answer this.

good luck,
    Joe
    Some experts they are, lol, . It has to be coded, it has to "know" what kind of "series" it's in, lol.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    So when jason5driver says, "See your local certified BMW mechanic"...I hope he knows it's funny.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    90 E30, 00 E39, 01 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by indy525 View Post

bmw called me today offering to pay 25% for a cluster replacement. may have to go the vdo route. grr...
    cheers,
    larry

My Cars
    05/2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Hahaha yeah Dryer & Reinbold is funny. Had a ppi done there. I was quoted $900 for a lower hose and thermostat replacement. I did it myself.
    Last edited by allamer35; 04-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.