Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: S42 engines?

My Cars
    E46 330iT E36 328i
    Im starting the building process of an S42B20 tomorrow. Im getting a complete block for $166, yes I have contacts and they are legal. Im also getting 86.5mm M3 pistons for $166. I will also get a cyl head and build it up for the high revving I will be doing. I have a long process ahead of me but it will be fun.

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    Tom - are there any changes necessary to the intake manifold to get more air in for the stroker?

Gizmo - definitely keep us posted!

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    '91 318is
    What crankshaft are you going to use? A custom one? Are you going to start with a stock M42 head and convert it to solid lifters?

It's about time someone did this!

Hope everything goes smoothly

And DEFINATELY keep us updated
    "Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines." - Enzo Ferrari

"A Gentleman does not motor about after dark" -Joseph Lucas

My Cars
    1996 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by 943184dr
    I would have to double check with my source but it should be your factory forged cranks (m44's are cast) modified to give you a longer stroke getting 15-20% more displacement.

Tom
    how exactly would the crank be modified?
    I call BS - there's no bmw driver that can't run his car faster than any magazine has ever done before.
    -Joe

My Cars
    '96 318ti, '15 Focus ST
    make sure to post updates and LOTS of pics!
    BMWMOFO C6MPACT

My Cars
    E30
    Yeah, definitely keep us updated on this.

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB
    how exactly would the crank be modified?

This would be accomplished by modifying the lobes and installing larger bearings. and as far as the intake manifold you may want to get one of my custom build units but I think if all you did was the stroker you should be fine with the stock one but i'm not sure

Tom

My Cars
    98 318ti, 67 Dodge Dart
    This would be accomplished by modifying the lobes and installing larger bearings. and as far as the intake manifold you may want to get one of my custom build units but I think if all you did was the stroker you should be fine with the stock one but i'm not sure

Tom
    Tom, I am interested in your intake manifold setup, and possibly the stroker, as they say there is no replacement for displacement

I am sure alot of us here are the forum would be interested in pictures of your intake manifold, what is done to the manifold? Is it just ported and polished stock manifold or a custom fabbed manifold and how much more does it flow over the stock manifold, and are there still provisions for the intake manifold runner switch over?

Also if you are modifying the lobes on the crankshaft and making them larger, with larger bearings, you will need custom connecting rods to accompany the larger bearings.

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiperformance
    Tom, I am interested in your intake manifold setup, and possibly the stroker, as they say there is no replacement for displacement

I am sure alot of us here are the forum would be interested in pictures of your intake manifold, what is done to the manifold? Is it just ported and polished stock manifold or a custom fabbed manifold and how much more does it flow over the stock manifold, and are there still provisions for the intake manifold runner switch over?

Also if you are modifying the lobes on the crankshaft and making them larger, with larger bearings, you will need custom connecting rods to accompany the larger bearings.
    As for the intake manifold that I can have under development as soon as my car is up and running. It would be a custom built peice forming an entirely new manifold out of billet alum. that would utilize a standard shape TB. This will be prototype on my turbo motor as soon as money comes along. it would have individual runners and a new injector runner as well. I can come up with pricing if you all would like for the intake manifold but unfortunatly wont be built for a little while unless someone wants to place an order for as soon as the car can move under its own power i can have it built.

As for the crank, all you would need is larger bearings i beleive. This is a kit that my source has you choose the specs of the pistons and send them a crank i beleive then a few weeks later you get a stroker kit. that is with my initial source but I am going to see if waterhouse will do it for me which then that would reduce the cost alot because you then wouldn't have to get pistons and it would be just a modified crank to increase displacement.

Tom
    Last edited by 943184dr; 12-01-2004 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    1996 318ti
    As for the intake manifold that I can have under development as soon as my car is up and running. It would be a custom built peice forming an entirely new manifold out of billet alum. that would utilize a standard shape TB. This will be prototype on my turbo motor as soon as money comes along. it would have individual runners and a new injector runner as well. I can come up with pricing if you all would like for the intake manifold but unfortunatly wont be built for a little while unless someone wants to place an order for as soon as the car can move under its own power i can have it built.

As for the crank, all you would need is larger bearings i beleive. This is a kit that my source has you choose the specs of the pistons and send them a crank i beleive then a few weeks later you get a stroker kit. that is with my initial source but I am going to see if waterhouse will do it for me which then that would reduce the cost alot because you then wouldn't have to get pistons and it would be just a modified crank to increase displacement.

Tom
    Any idea for what type of Tb you will be using. Will it be a BMW unit, or something from another car (mustang, camaro, etc).
    I call BS - there's no bmw driver that can't run his car faster than any magazine has ever done before.
    -Joe

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB
    Any idea for what type of Tb you will be using. Will it be a BMW unit, or something from another car (mustang, camaro, etc).
    Most likely something cheap and very effective like a mustang tb.

Tom

My Cars
    E46 330iT E36 328i
    Im going to be using the E36 M3 Euro ITBs, we have an abundence of 'em floating around in SA.

The block I have is the M44 which has an 85mm stroke to make it 1.9lt, with the 86.5mm M3 pistons it will be 2.0lt. Something I noticed is the M42 crank position sensor sits on the front pulley, whereas the M44 has it towards the back of the block, it picks it up on the no4 crank lobe.

Also, can someone tell me why the M42/M44 has a cam sensor and a crank sensor?

I will update the thread as I go along.

My Cars
    1995 E36 318i/M42

Tom
    If you stroke the motor, you will need to get shorter rods at the very least. Otherwise you'll be wondering why your pistons suddenly pushed the head off the motor.

I'd love to see the intake in person once it is developed (I'm just a bit up the I-5 / I-405 corridor from you).

-Derek
    '95 318i

My Cars
    BMW 320i und ol' Nissan
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekVa
    Got the answer today:

92-96 2.0L crank is 2,415.00 Euro
    97 2.0L crank is 6,420.00 Euro
    These guys can do custom steel billet cranks . For a 4 cylinder, they are about $5K AUD - about $4K USD for an one off. Of course, they may be cheaper for a group buy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo316i
    can someone tell me why the M42/M44 has a cam sensor and a crank sensor?
    This is because the cam rotates at half engine speed which is required for sequential injection and one coil per cylinder ignition. The crank sensor is for rpm

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo316i
    I will update the thread as I go along.
    Yes please

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Damn all this talk, now I want a S42
    Got a new bimmer. 2006 e90. 330i. More to come. First big boy car.

My Cars
    1987 535(sound provided by Byzanz)
    Gizmo316i, i sent you a pm

My Cars
    1992 BMW 318i - 2003 MINI Cooper S
    Great thread guys! Lots of good information in there! Keep it up!

My Cars
    318is
    So i am wondering.

i'm sure it's possible to do a low compression 2.0L m42 motor built for lots of boost.

I am also a 318er and im going to buy a new car soon to use on a daily basis and my 318 will serve as a project mobile.

Anyone have an experience with m42's and FI
    Lates, Mike

www.mikealonso.com

My Cars
    E30
    Here is an ecel spreadsheet with the M42's numbers using the listed modifications (in the sig). The run conditions are in the spreadsheet as well, in English & SI. The numbers are using a DIN correction factor.

This might come in handy for anyone looking to do...whatever...with the M42 & some performance numbers are needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bmwman91; 12-14-2004 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Needs More

My Cars
    1995 E36 318i/M42

Any news?

Just wondering what the status is of this project.

BTW: this thread at e36coupe.com has some great info on an ITB setup using 2/3 of an Euro M3 S50 ITB set. Sounds like it would be perfect induction setup for an S42 replica motor--especially if you could get someone to fab a carbon fiber airbox for you (like an S14 touring car intake) and could kit up a Split Second MAF system as well.

-Derek
    '95 318i

My Cars
    '98 318ti
    Just wondering what the status is of this project.

BTW: this thread at e36coupe.com has some great info on an ITB setup using 2/3 of an Euro M3 S50 ITB set. Sounds like it would be perfect induction setup for an S42 replica motor--especially if you could get someone to fab a carbon fiber airbox for you (like an S14 touring car intake) and could kit up a Split Second MAF system as well.

-Derek
    '95 318i
    Refer to: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hlight=itb+m44
    A carbon airbox would definitely be a nice upgrade. Hell, if I had the time and resources that would be a good project upgrade to make myself in adding to the ITB setup since the stock plenum isn't exactly a featherweight. Raw carbon fiber isn't cheap though.

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    anyone know what all differences are between the e36 m42 and the 1991 e30 m42 engines is? i know that the e30 motor didn't have a knock sensor and had a different intake and exhaust manifolds. is there anything else? as i'm found several motors and parts motors for sale but they are out of e30 cars so i'm not sure if they are usable as i need the same things as e36 cars (stronger)

Thanks
    Tom

My Cars
    04 QC dodge ram
    If you stroke the motor, you will need to get shorter rods at the very least. Otherwise you'll be wondering why your pistons suddenly pushed the head off the motor.

I'd love to see the intake in person once it is developed (I'm just a bit up the I-5 / I-405 corridor from you).

-Derek
    '95 318i
    That all depends on how the crank is modified, you can move the lobes further down allowing still enough clearance for the pistons to clear the head. but even if new rods would be needed I can get them for about 600 for chromoly rods and 800-1000 for titanium.

Tom

My Cars
    Pieces of 128
    A bump - any updates?!

Andy Chittum -- Lemans Karting | BTM Motorwerks NASA Spec e30 | US Touring Car | Racecarnology Blog

My Cars
    89 325is, BgBors bro Fi'd M42
    Bumper-shnitZle

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast