Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: REVIEW: Magnaflow "California" Replacement Catalytic Converters - M3

My Cars
    1989 Tornado Red GTI16v
    I'm looking into new cats due to my car having worn-catalytic-related numbers on its last 2 smog tests. I don't want to fail and fall into that quagmire.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue here seems to be if one wants to drive their car to a shop to weld the new cats in. What is to stop someone who owns an OBD2 car from taking their manifold-cat exhaust section to a shop and having the much cheaper OBD1 cats welded in? Wouldn't DIY welding erase the issue entirely?

There are many OBD1 universal CARB-approved cats that look stock enough to pass an underpaid smog guy from peeking under the car and noticing anything fishy. Those OBD1 cats are also significantly more affordable than OBD2 cats based on a search at the CARB site (Case in point:

OBD1-carb compliant:
    http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-3410.../dp/B001P9X1AQ

OBD2-carb compliant:
    http://www.amazon.com/Walker-81706-U.../dp/B0031HMALG

Holy price gouging, Robin.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
    stock enough to pass an underpaid smog guy from peeking under the car and noticing anything fishy. Those OBD1 cats are also significantly more affordable than OBD2 cats based on a search at the CARB site.
    All of this mostly true. Here's the deal. The smog tech is required to look at the cats and make sure they are actually there. The smog tech also needs to weigh whether or not you are a BAR ringer looking for busts. So if it appears that the cats are not stock or have been replaced (not many can make a weld look factory) then this would warrant a closer look. ANY cat that is legal in CA must have certain markings on the cat: a date of manufacture, a part number and the ARB EO number along with the federal markings. They must be embossed in the metal and be at least 1/2" high and visible after the install. All this to make it easier for the tech to validate a legal or illegal cat.

All this is bs if the tech or the shop is not worried about being fined $5000 for the first offense and get higher fines and license revocation for the second. Get on the BAR website and get a copy of the BAR Blast. It lists all the shops and techs that got popped, how much the fines were and shows the license revocations. Any idiot who risks that just for a $50 fee and a few hundred bucks of someone elses convenience deserves what they get.

Just bite the bullet and do it the right way. You'll be much better off no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by tjm3; 06-06-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: cat marking clarification change
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    +1 TJM3 - VERY FEW smog techs are going to be lenient these days. The CARB / Government guys do a VERY thorough job of fining, embarrassing, and enforcing SMOG checks in the state.

Also, you really DO NOT want to run OBD1 on OBD2 systems. There's a reason an OBD1 system as one O2 sensor, and the ODB2 , has FOUR.

And as TJ mentioned, even my exhaust guy was super thorough when checking parts. He even had to KEEP my old cats in case CARB called him on it - to be sure they we failing.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    ok, point taken. can someone recommend a good muffler shop in the santa barbara/ventura/north la area ?

is this carb/california compliant ?

OBD2-carb compliant:
    http://www.amazon.com/Walker-81706-U...=5336432695-20

p.s. when I did the pre-test the guy never looked under the car but they might be more strict when doing a real one. anyways I don't care, wanna do it right and not think about it any more so I can enjoy working on more interesting things on the car.
    '97 M3

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    According to the CARB website and database, the Walker 81706 should be OK. I looked it up for a 1998. If the year is different you should look again. The database also has the EO number, D-182-45. Hint: keep the dated receipt for the cats, the installation work and print out this EO and keep it all together. No telling what's gonna happen in the future so being able to prove that the work was done according to the rules at the time goes a long way. I've seen some folks get burned in past rule changes by not having the documentation.

Sorry, I now see you have a '97. Still OK.
    Last edited by tjm3; 06-06-2012 at 09:34 PM.
    See ya later,

tony

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Stefan - FWIW man, don't stress TOO much on finding the part yourself. Yes, do the look-up and research, but more importantly, find a few shops and call them. They have access and *better* pricing at times on exhaust pieces like cats.

So if you find say $600 for the cats online, and the shop can do $550 installed... it's a win.

Because frankly, sometimes when you bring your own parts in, you're gonna pay full retail whack and labor.
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

My Cars
    98 M3, 09 Scion xB
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanom3 View Post
    ok, point taken. can someone recommend a good muffler shop in the santa barbara/ventura/north la area ?

is this carb/california compliant ?

OBD2-carb compliant:
    http://www.amazon.com/Walker-81706-U...=5336432695-20

p.s. when I did the pre-test the guy never looked under the car but they might be more strict when doing a real one. anyways I don't care, wanna do it right and not think about it any more so I can enjoy working on more interesting things on the car.
    I just had my cats replaced at Castro's smog in north hollywood after reading their reviews here on bfc. It was 420 for eveything. They use catco universal converters. Passed the pretest easily and i got it smogged the following day and passed too. I talked to Chris.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Catco is good but didn't think they were carb approved.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    98 M3, 09 Scion xB
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Catco is good but didn't think they were carb approved.
    Catco makes California OBD2 cats as shown on their website. The cats have the required stamped numbers on them. Chris wrote the stamped numbers on the invoice/receipt and told me to show them to whomever did the smog if they asked.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I failed the smog test a few days ago. After reading this thread it seems convincing that the cats may be getting bad at 122k off my 95 m3.

Are there any other preventative measures I should take on avoiding high HC and NO readings? I replaced the O2 sensors and spark plugs about 20-30k ago.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Just get the cats - the time and money you'll spend throwing solutions at it will quickly add up to the $600 for the price of the cats/install.

Ask me how I know that!

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    yep...

I've had them replaced last week.
    ~$400 for parts and ~$200 for labor.
    + useless ~$150 spent on diagnostics
    (the guy that did the exhaust job somehow convinced me that the problem might be somewhere else).

HC idle/2500 before 154/66
    HC idle/2500 after <17/<12

I guess my car is cleaner than a prius now.
    BTW... thanks for all the input

p.s. I realized I forgot to take pictures... it turned out to be a really clean install.
    Last edited by stefanom3; 07-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    '97 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Old cat results...
    Note: ran car for 10 mins, had it idle at smog test site and the technician ran it warm for safe measures before the first test.

ForumRunner_20120724_193217.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cbksupreme; 07-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    This mobile app is a pain.

Two magnaflow cats, I can of BG 44k and 15 mins of normal highway driving later, the results:

ForumRunner_20120724_194014.png

Relieved.... for now!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Great info. My car is approaching 130K miles and will probably need the same treatment in the upcoming smog check

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cbksupreme View Post
    This mobile app is a pain.

Two magnaflow cats, I can of BG 44k and 15 mins of normal highway driving later, the results:

ForumRunner_20120724_194014.png

Relieved.... for now!

hm, interesting. do you have any mods? these values seem pretty high (looking at my results and also you barely passed)... although it might be different because you are apparently in an enhanced check county.
    Last edited by stefanom3; 07-25-2012 at 12:45 AM.
    '97 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanom3

hm, interesting. do you have any mods? these values seem pretty high (looking at my results and also you barely passed)... although it might be different because you are apparently in an enhanced check county.
    No engine mods, just an AA III exhaust. My car is due an oil change and a general inspection II by now.

I live in San Diego county. Not sure if the emissions are different here from anywhere else.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Just the info I was looking to come across. I was looking to change my catalytic converters after dealing with getting my "special" smog done for the last 6 yrs. California has deemed my car a gross polluter,lol. I think I will end up picking up those 2 new cats.

*Now that I got to read through the whole thread it seems like the way to go. Its kind of tough in my situation having a 95' with a 98' 3.2l, supercharged engine, headers and looking the way it does (track car) to pass smog. I've been "lucky" and have some good contacts here in socal. Without saying more than I already have if someone is only concerned about passing a visual inspection I can be of some help. If there is more than that needed I can be of some help too. Pm me. I'm looking to replace my cats strictly to gain some performance out of it. My close to 20 yr old cats might be robbing me of some power with the current setup. Ill see how it turns out, will seriously try and go with the magnaflow ASAP.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    It's TWO units. A pair of 36004's.
    You DO mean you have to buy 2 right? If I'm reading that right? Just saw one for sale for about $150 each.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

My Cars
    e36 m3 coupe
    OBD 2 cars need 2...

Sent using Tapatalk 2
    '97 M3

Going to call the muffler shop in Dublin tomorrow! Need to go return something up there so if they have some cats in stock that would work perfectly!

Gave them a call up to $600 now for my 97. Will be going up there tomorrow.
    Last edited by redGSRguy; 01-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3
    I know this thread is old, but I thought cars 1995-earlier were exempt from having to pass smog regulations in California. Can anyone clarify this for me, as I'm considering moving to the sunshine state.
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

My Cars
    1995 M3, Z06 Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFreddie View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I thought cars 1995-earlier were exempt from having to pass smog regulations in California. Can anyone clarify this for me, as I'm considering moving to the sunshine state.

You are about 20 years off.

http://www.smogtips.com/need_inspection.cfm
    07 328i coupe, 95 M3 coupe, 04 Z06 Corvette, 04 Lexus IS300, several SUV's.

I have a Bentley service manual & still want to post this question, thanks.

Check out my DIY videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1947froggy?feature=guide

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    1976 MY and newer need to be smogged. Depending on where you live in California you'll need at least a Two Speed Idle tailpipe test or ASM (dyno) test. As of now, 2000 MY and newer only get a visual and an OBD2 scan for MIL and monitors, no tailpipe test.
    See ya later,

tony

My Cars
    95 m3
    Thanks Guys
    1995 OBD I Cosmos Black M3 - RIP: gone but not forgotten

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast