Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: REVIEW: Magnaflow "California" Replacement Catalytic Converters - M3

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm3 View Post

Theoretically, a cat should last forever. Obviously that's not the case, but there's truth to the adage 'cats don't just die, they're killed' .
    Truth. However another old saying kicks in - “shit happens”. I had an ECU go bad with result my engine was spewing black smoke. Cats took 8 and 9th lives.
    PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Yes, 'shit happens', and this is really the cause of anything that happens to our cars. But, you found the problem, hopefully fixed it, and then when about your merry way without just throwing parts at the problem.

My issue is with the 'my car won't pass smog, installed a brand new cat and it's dead in 3 months, what a crappy cat' scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonaudi View Post
    Truth. However another old saying kicks in - “shit happens”. I had an ECU go bad with result my engine was spewing black smoke. Cats took 8 and 9th lives.
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Three months is a car issue. 2-3 years is a cat issue. There's a reason the aftermarket cats cost so much less compared to oem, they don't have as much heavy metal in them.

After a few years, they're done
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Maybe that's true. Maybe not. Maybe the AMCC manufacturers use a different combination of catalyst compounds than the OEM. But other than speculation, what real evidence does anyone have about what's inside the can. 2-3 years could be a small or slow coolant leak into the combustion chamber or a light oil burn slowly contaminating the cat media. Phosphorus and ZDDP. Maybe its a small exhaust leak at the header pulling in enough extra O2 to cook the cat or maybe just a light misfire that may not give a clue to the ultra-modern-super-tech with only a code reader in the toolbox. Could take 3 months, could take 3 years worth of degrading the catalyst. I have my own ideas on the situation and really not very far off from yours but until someone grabs one of those OBD I or II cats for testing compared to a stock, factory unit, then it's just speculation. Throw in the fact that the AMCC won't be used until the OEM cat is out of the warranty period, meaning 80K/8 yrs, or longer. The NEW engine has been running exhaust through that NEW cat from Mile 1 and now we stick an AMCC on a vehicle with at least 80K miles (probably more) and expect that cat to behave like the OEM unit did with a brand new engine. Not likely to get the same performance, no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Three months is a car issue. 2-3 years is a cat issue. There's a reason the aftermarket cats cost so much less compared to oem, they don't have as much heavy metal in them.

After a few years, they're done
    Last edited by tjm3; 01-12-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    See ya later,

tony

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb

REVIEW: Magnaflow "California" Replacement Catalytic Converters - M3

I’ve replaced cats on a number of cars with Magnaflow, as long as the car is running properly I haven’t experienced failure, or had failure reported from subsequent owners or customers. Reason for replacement was generally poor maintenance or knucklehead owners who stripped them out or gutted them.

That being said, there are certainly subpar products out there.

OEM is expensive, somewhat because it’s OEM. The cost isn’t always the part itself, but the extra testing to validate its good enough for OEM. In many cases you can buy the exact same part from aftermarket at less expense because it isn’t in a BMW labeled box.
    Last edited by bostonaudi; 01-21-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    The M
    Looks like this is the updated version for 95: https://www.magnaflow.com/products/3...verter-3322304

Price has gone up

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    These effing blow. Brand new Magnaflow mid died within a year (one bank of catalyst completely exited the exhaust, zero remained) and MF wouldn't even respond to replacing it (active warrant).

Don't give these assholes your money.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 05-30-2023 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    These effing blow. Brand new Magnaflow mid died within a year and MF wouldn't even respond to replacing it (active warrant).

My personal opinion is that the aftermarket cat business is a scam, in part and in collusion with the ARB, BAR and manufacturers (I'll spare you the ARB/BAR bs but if you've dealt with either then you know what I mean). In part because a good running car that barely needs a cat to pass the emission tests doesn't have cat efficiency issues that a borderline engine/vehicle would. Having said that, yet again, and not taking the manufacturer's side, all the cat complaints, reports and opinions here and everywhere else I've seen them are bullshit until someone takes a stock cat AND an aftermarket cat, pulls the honeycomb or media from both and sends them in for an analysis for both the type and amount of catalyst metals. Until then the cat dialog is worthless. Here's what I do know: professional shops have had some issues with the aftermarket cats but have also had warranties honored. Professional shops also tend to use factory replacements rather than aftermarket to avoid potential problems. Non-professional aftermarket cat users tend to have the most issues with longevity and warranty problems. Non-professional doesn't necessarily mean a lack of knowledge but more of a lack of equipment necessary to make accurate diagnoses.
    See ya later,

tony

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    My personal opinion is that the aftermarket cat business is a scam, in part and in collusion with the ARB, BAR and manufacturers (I'll spare you the ARB/BAR bs but if you've dealt with either then you know what I mean). In part because a good running car that barely needs a cat to pass the emission tests doesn't have cat efficiency issues that a borderline engine/vehicle would. Having said that, yet again, and not taking the manufacturer's side, all the cat complaints, reports and opinions here and everywhere else I've seen them are bullshit until someone takes a stock cat AND an aftermarket cat, pulls the honeycomb or media from both and sends them in for an analysis for both the type and amount of catalyst metals. Until then the cat dialog is worthless. Here's what I do know: professional shops have had some issues with the aftermarket cats but have also had warranties honored. Professional shops also tend to use factory replacements rather than aftermarket to avoid potential problems. Non-professional aftermarket cat users tend to have the most issues with longevity and warranty problems. Non-professional doesn't necessarily mean a lack of knowledge but more of a lack of equipment necessary to make accurate diagnoses.
    The catalyst completely blew out of the exhaust on one bank. ZERO remained. This wasn't a normal efficiency code, this is junk manufacturing/materials.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    These effing blow. Brand new Magnaflow mid died within a year (one bank of catalyst completely exited the exhaust, zero remained) and MF wouldn't even respond to replacing it (active warrant).

Did you install yourself or have an authorized dealer do it? The latter is supposed to warranty it no questions asked

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    The catalyst completely blew out of the exhaust on one bank. ZERO remained. This wasn't a normal efficiency code, this is junk manufacturing/materials.
    Agreed, but how did the ceramic media get through the muffler baffles?
    See ya later,

tony

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by I M LEGEND View Post
    Looks like this is the updated version for 95: https://www.magnaflow.com/products/3...verter-3322304

Price has gone up
    so it would be aruound $1500 bucks for pair? jesus... I remember a few years ago the entire downpipe was still available for that price from the dealer

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    so it would be aruound $1500 bucks for pair? jesus... I remember a few years ago the entire downpipe was still available for that price from the dealer
    That's outrageous!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Agreed, but how did the ceramic media get through the muffler baffles?
    Dinan muffler. No baffles.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456