Thread: Car went into neutral on it's own while driving then died!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745I

Car went into neutral on it's own while driving then died!

Hi! I have been lurking here for a couple of years and have found great advice, so thanks for that! Now I had something odd happen today.

I was driving doing 50 mph, then my 2002 745i just went into neutral on it's own, twice. Then it died. I pulled over then it started right back up. I went into neutral once before about three weeks ago but didn't die. I took it in to the shope, made sure there were no issues, topped off fluids, check for leaks, faults but all looked good. So what heck do you think could be going on? It was really scary...yes, I am female! Not your typical female but still it was scary. Could it be electronic? Communication issue possibly?

I appreciate any comments or thoughts. Thanks!

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i
    Was you shifter in the neutral position,did it say it was in neutral on the dash, or when you punched the gas you didnt accelerate?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745I
    bimmerjph, the indicator on the dash did show it had moved to N so I put it back to D while I was still in motion, as I was surrounded by very fast moving cars and had to get out of the way. I accelerated for a moment in D but then seconds later it revved while I accelerated and it showed neutral again. So I put my flashers on then I lost power and powersteering and pulled over. I restarted the engine at that point. I didn't touch the gearshifter either time this happened. It does it completely on it's on. I spoke to BMW, he said it sounds like a "limp mode" but they had not heard of that happening while driving.

Also the dash said "fail transmission" but like I said it started right back up.
    Last edited by BMWRCHICK; 03-10-2011 at 09:01 PM.

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i
    So are they thinking its an electrical problem?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745I
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
    So are they thinking its an electrical problem?
    It could be any number of things. Battery, alternator, transmission computer. Seems this year and model has major issues. Don't buy it! It's running fine now but man, I am scared of it doing it on a freeway. I am taking it in Monday. I know that crazy things happen when the battery gets low on this car so I am hopping that is all it is. I even heard it may be a loose cable. I will let you know what I find out.

My Cars
    BMW '02 730D E65
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWRCHICK View Post
    It could be any number of things. Battery, alternator, transmission computer. Seems this year and model has major issues. Don't buy it! It's running fine now but man, I am scared of it doing it on a freeway. I am taking it in Monday. I know that crazy things happen when the battery gets low on this car so I am hopping that is all it is. I even heard it may be a loose cable. I will let you know what I find out.
    Let the dealer check your supply module can cause read this story(
    Intermittent No Start, Transmission Failsafe Mode, Engine Shut-off
    Hi everyone, I am reporting a successful resolution to the same problems, many E65 owners are posting here. Common to these postings are perplexing nature of the problems which appear very randomly and usually disappear without a trace very next time the car is turned back on. This occasional malfunction that kept reappearing after many repairs, cause me to lose confidence in daily reliability and to consider selling my 7 bimmer, which I had been loyal to since a 740 saved my life 7 years ago.

Let me describe the symptoms
    1. Press the start button and hear a faint click sound but get no response from the starter. After 5 minutes of repeated pressing of start button, suddenly the starter comes to life and car starts normally. Battery charge is not the cause because once it starts, even if you kill the ignition and restart without giving the battery a chance to charge up, the starter cranks with full power for normal ignition. Changing to a $700 oem battery and registering to computer, and even changing starter motor didn't correct this occasional no-start. It is very embarassing when vallet person runs back saying your car isn't starting.
    2. Driving normally without any signs of engine or transmission malfunction, the car looses power and warning lights comes on. RPM shoots up and fluctuates between 3K to 5K wildly, feeling like its stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. Display shows transmission failsafe mode error message (Available gears N,1,2,3,5....) Upon restart, the transmission error message disappears and only the service engine soon message remain lit, only to disappear in day or two. No problem with transmission found, says the dealers. Not repeatable. After this happend 3 times in 2 years, I began worrying about making long trips worrying it could happen again on the road any time.
    3. From standing idle or just after car starts moving, all of sudden the car stalls as if I pressed the start button to kill the ignition. Gear shifts neutral. Like as above symptoms, when the ignition is turned back on, car runs normal as if nothing has happened. Once it happened at an intersection and with everyone looking at me to get going, and this time the car didn't start when I kept pressing the start button. A minute or two passed before the car started again, and it was back to normal as if nothing had happened. Wanted the kick the car and run it off the cliff.

To make this story short, these 3 symptoms are posted together or individually in this forum, with replies from users suggesting standard solutions such as changing the battery, the starter motor, alternator, fuel pump, DME module, transmission oil flush, oxygen sensors, and even an instruction on how to press start button properly. (Believe me I tried every possible way to get the starter to respond, but nothing seems to work until without any clear reason, the car starts very normally)

These standard suggestion to blame it on a mechanical failure does not take into account that the symptoms appear and disappear randomly. A weak battery/alternator or faulty fuel pump or failing transmission is not going to go away the very next time the car is restarted. Its the clueless dealers who says to replace parts that are begining to fail.....

After 2 years of seeking help from dealership and indy who always cameback saying the problem can't be repeated, I found the solution from ikob with link to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...62&hg=12&fg=35

It's called Integrated Supply Module, that costs only $120 at the dealers and its a simple DYI project done in 30 minutes.

For me, the problems gradually increased in frequency until one day, it happened 3 times in a single 20 minute drive from work.

So I finally decided to try changing the Int.Sup.Module as suggested by iKob, and found out all 4 dealers I called had this part in stock, leading me to think the dealership wouldn't keep it in stock if they weren't a high demand for it. But no service rep ever mentioned this part as the possible cause. Shouldn't the experienced service rep know that a faulty Int.Sup.Module is the cause for these symptoms which is a known issue to E65?

After I replaced this module, no more problems period. I have put on 5K miles without any of symptoms coming back. Idle is steadier and the car seems to run better.

Thanks, Ikob, for giving me a peace of mind, knowing that the car is going to start every time and drive without worrying about sudden loss of power.

So for all of you who reported saying your dealership fixed your problem by changing battery, starter, or whatever else they blamed it on, after paying their big repair bills, I say all you guys have been had. They probably didn't do anything other than replace this part.
    All these things being said about how only oem $650 replacement battery is the only way to prevent these type of electrical glitches caused by 7's heavy power demands and sensitivity, I say it's a scam to make bundles of money changing battery for no reason.

I wrote this report to suggest to all fellow bimmer owners to try replacing this part first if you are having intermitten problems or error messages that comes and goes without clear repeatable mechanical malfunctions. It's a cheap enough to try replacing it, just to find out if it is...could save lots of $$

Thanks for reading.) good luck

My Cars
    06 750Li, 07 530i
    @ Lastcombo: Very nice write-up I browse this forum just to see what to expect from my vehicle (06 750Li) and I always learn something new and today was no exception. I really appreciate this write in fact I copied and pasted it into a file on my computer just for future reference in case this happens to my car. Thank you.

Oh and by the way I've found amazing things about my other vehicle here also that the "Dealers" keep telling me that is "NORMAL"

My Cars
    BMW '02 730D E65
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcclintock View Post
    @ Lastcombo: Very nice write-up I browse this forum just to see what to expect from my vehicle (06 750Li) and I always learn something new and today was no exception. I really appreciate this write in fact I copied and pasted it into a file on my computer just for future reference in case this happens to my car. Thank you.

Oh and by the way I've found amazing things about my other vehicle here also that the "Dealers" keep telling me that is "NORMAL"
    glad i could help good luck

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    April 16, 2012
    Feds Find 16 Crashes, 5 Injuries in BMW Probe
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators have found 16 crashes and five injuries in an eight-month investigation of transmission control problems with BMW 7-Series luxury cars.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began the probe in August and has now upgraded it to an engineering analysis, which is a step closer to a recall. However the cars have not been recalled.

The investigation covers nearly 122,000 BMWs from the 2002 through 2008 model years.

The cars have push-button start and electronic transmission controls. In some cases the owners may think the cars are in park when they actually are in neutral. The safety agency said in documents on its website Monday that the cars can roll away unexpectedly and crash.

Messages seeking comment from BMW were not immediately returned on Monday.

NHTSA said in the documents that BMW and investigators have received 50 complaints about the problem.

In one case, the driver of a 2002 745LI told NHTSA that the car was parked at a day-care center north of Atlanta when it rolled about 40 yards and crashed into a parking lot embankment on March 29, 2010. No one was hurt.

In another complaint, a driver reported that he parked his 2006 750 model BMW on Feb. 21, 2007, and it was supposed to automatically shift to park when he touched the stop-start button to turn off the car. Instead, after the driver left the car, it rolled backward about 100 feet and crashed into a lamppost, the driver told NHTSA. No one was injured. He did not set the parking brake.

"The dealer stated they are unable to diagnose the failure," the man told NHTSA.

Federal safety regulators do not release the names of people who file complaints.

NHTSA said it upgraded the investigation to an engineering analysis "to further assess the potential safety consequences of the alleged defect."

My Cars
    No 1/2 tons
    You could very well have a leaking mechatronics seal. I have seen the same issues with forward or reverse gears sporadically disengaging leaving the car in neutral on several models now from 2002-08. Three out of the four time it was a leaking seal. The other time the selector was to blame simply from user abuse! I swear the owner thought the selector was a stick shift in a dump truck.

The car randomly shutting down is a whole other issue. Has the car been scanned with appropriate diagnostic software? Perhaps it will help lead you in the right direction. Throwing parts at e65/66 can get expensive quickly.

My Cars
    2008 750i
    Hi! I have been lurking here for a couple of years and have found great advice, so thanks for that! Now I had something odd happen today.

I was driving doing 50 mph, then my 2002 745i just went into neutral on it's own, twice. Then it died. I pulled over then it started right back up. I went into neutral once before about three weeks ago but didn't die. I took it in to the shope, made sure there were no issues, topped off fluids, check for leaks, faults but all looked good. So what heck do you think could be going on? It was really scary...yes, I am female! Not your typical female but still it was scary. Could it be electronic? Communication issue possibly?

I appreciate any comments or thoughts. Thanks!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...ALT_story.html

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528i
    I'm having the same problem with my 2008 BMW 528i. I had the ignition coil changed and now the shop is saying it could be the solenoids. This is a dangerous problem.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750 LI

Replaced the ISM and eliminated all the issues

We were experiencing all the issues everyone stated above. It didn't die while driving 50 MPH but it did die on me intermittently, Transmission messages, Intermittent starting problems where it doesn't start when it feels like it, just couldn't figure it out.

I found this thread and called the dealer and bought the INTEGRATED SUPPLY MODULE for $120 plus tax. They had it in stock.
    I have no issues since (fingers toes crossed). So whoever posted this thread.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Thanks for the article. I had the issues described in the post. I went the BMW dealer in Plano, TX and the part cost $121.00. If you are a Veteran, the dealership offers a small discount. Installed the part myself, and the car started up. The dealer mentioned the unit will need to be programed. The cost is $199.00. Is this necessary?
    Last edited by djkevykev; 05-09-2016 at 02:46 PM.

My Cars
    2008 750Li
    Well, the dealer is gonna tell you that your tires need to be programmed too.

If it's the IVM, no programming can be done.
    ----------------------------------------
    2008 750Li

My Cars
    2012 X3
    Hi, I have experienced the same issue with my 2012 X3 2 weeks ago while on cruise control at 79 mph, it just shifted to N by itself, etc... Dealer still can't find a fix, and they are working with a BMW NA field engineer. Could you tell me what was the repair that eventually worked for you? Thank you much!!!

bimmerjph, the indicator on the dash did show it had moved to N so I put it back to D while I was still in motion, as I was surrounded by very fast moving cars and had to get out of the way. I accelerated for a moment in D but then seconds later it revved while I accelerated and it showed neutral again. So I put my flashers on then I lost power and powersteering and pulled over. I restarted the engine at that point. I didn't touch the gearshifter either time this happened. It does it completely on it's on. I spoke to BMW, he said it sounds like a "limp mode" but they had not heard of that happening while driving.

Also the dash said "fail transmission" but like I said it started right back up.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535xi
    Note from a newbie on this forum. I had this happen a few weeks back on my E60 535xi. Trans to N and trans fail message when cruising at 110. Drove off to the shoulder and restarted. iDrive said 'engine malfunction, low power, drive moderately'. Drove home, re-started and it was OK. Failed again and again over the next day few days. Read codes and it showed crank position sensor. Replaced the CPS and it's been fine.

Have you checked for codes?

My Cars
    2012 X3
    I am having the same issue with my 2012 X3. It has 165K. It seems to be going into neutral at slow speeds. I am also having trouble with car just stalling while at a stop light. It seems at times while accelerating that it feels like it is maybe wanting to lose power, but doesn't stall, and this only happens on occasion. Car was running fine 2 weeks ago. Now I have so many codes on the scanner, but the check engine light is not lit up. Please if anyone has any ideas here are some of the codes. My dad has been trying to figure this out, and using the codes that the scanner is pulling produces nothing. I don't have the time or the money to have my car out of commission, as it is my only mode of transportation to get to work. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    D0156D- No message (wheel torque Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D01570- Signal (Wheel Torque Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D0157A- Signal (Wheel Torque Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D01577-Signal (Wheel Torque Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D01B3F- No message (wheel torque Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D01A08-No message (wheel torque Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D01646- No message (angle, Accelerator pedal) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    D018E1- No message (Torque, Crankshaft Powertrain) Receiver ICM, transmitter Engine ECU
    801c20- Central Fault memory Full- No Control-Unit fault