Thread: What's the lightest AGM battery reasonable for a daily driver Z3?

My Cars
    no BMWs

What's the lightest AGM battery reasonable for a daily driver Z3?

I've been using 11lb AGM batteries forever in my CRX, and I want to put one in my Z3 soon, too. I've used Hawker, Odyssey, and Bosch... My next one will be a Deka.

In the Z3 I dont do much of anything besides rolling up the windows with the power off. I get about 10 days a year at the most where I need to start the car in below-freezing temps, and that's rarely lower than 28° at the worst. However I know there are some extensive electric whirrings going on when the Z3 motor is not running compared to the old CRX.

The car is my garaged commuter, but I am a casual autocrosser and HPDE-r, so I want to get what I can from the bang-for-buck mods I can do.

I'm thinking the AGMs in the 15-16lb range should meet my needs, but I wonder if anyone has some specific info to share on this subject.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    This would be good to know. Would also like to hear experiences/impressions. I've heard good things about the braille batteries....
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    N/A
    Braille batteries are just high-markup, rebadged DEKA batteries.

Check over in the track subforum, they have tons of threads about this. One or two full discharges will pretty much kill one of these batteries, so keep that in mind.

My Cars
    no BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    QFT!!!! I have no idea how someone could "hear good things about Braille batteries" without finding this information too...the power of marketing, I guess.

But like I asked, any specific experiences in Z3 coupes and 3.0's would be greatly appreciated...in the meantime, I'll be searching through the track forums.
    Last edited by Silberwald; 03-09-2011 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Silberwald View Post
    QFT!!!! I have no idea how someone could "hear good things about Braille batteries" without finding this information too...the power of marketing, I guess.

But like I asked, any specific experiences in Z3 coupes and 3.0's would be greatly appreciated...in the meantime, I'll be searching through the track forums.
    Let me help you out with that:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rchid=19151151

Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    Also Good to know - thank you.
    Last edited by clintjg; 03-09-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    My 11 lb Braille battery lasted about 5 years before it finally started acting up (occasionally not able to start the car even when charged fully). Note that I did have to use a trickle charger whenever leaving the car to sit for longer than a few days. IMO it was a positive experience, but when it came time to replace it, I went with a 15 lb replacement from Tomioka (same manufacturer as Braille, but cheaper): http://www.tomiokaracing.com/tomioka...batteries.html

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    Let me help you out with that:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...rchid=19151151

Also Good to know - thank you.
    Did you really try linking search results? You know the results on here are "outsourced", right?

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by //MFrog View Post
    My 11 lb Braille battery lasted about 5 years before it finally started acting up (occasionally not able to start the car even when charged fully). Note that I did have to use a trickle charger whenever leaving the car to sit for longer than a few days. IMO it was a positive experience, but when it came time to replace it, I went with a 15 lb replacement from Tomioka (same manufacturer as Braille, but cheaper): http://www.tomiokaracing.com/tomioka...batteries.html
    Those are re-badged DEKA batteries too.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I'm running the Odyssey 15# battery since giving up on a Braille and I'm pretty pleased at its cold crank and holding power.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    I'm running the Odyssey 15# battery since giving up on a Braille and I'm pretty pleased at its cold crank and holding power.
    Price, location I can buy from and pictures?

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    Did you really try linking search results? You know the results on here are "outsourced", right?
    I did. Was heading out the door. Used to work. Old dog.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    My battery is not holding up a charge. I would like to have a lighter battery but I don't want to worry about it going dead after sitting for a few days or a week. Oh and I will be installing a 100 Watt amp. Any recommendations?

What about this one... http://www.tomiokaracing.com/tomioka...e-battery.html
    -Phil