Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW E36 MFSW retrofit pictoral DIY

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    ha I see. I recall seeing someone do a mod on his E38 and needed the MFL module, but not sure exactly for what.

I have tons of spare connectors laying around so no problem.

Do you have a doc where the pin/wire changes are listed?
    Basically the cruise control buttons on the MFL don't use the iBus. They have their own separate wire. The adaptor boxes available do two things, one is convert the one-wire MFL to multiwire for the old-gen E36/E38 CC module, and on the Z3 facelift with M54 and drive-by-wire convert the 4 wire CC stalk switch wire to iBus for the DME based CC system, which is not applicable to the E36 as it never came with drive-by-wire throttle.

From here. All you need to do is splice the MFL CC wire into a wire on the stalk switch that goes to pin 24 as in the OP. I am using the retrofit loom, and have received my new CC bowden cable now so can complete the install and writeup this weekend weather permitting.

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    If you have E39 CCM with HW-08 SW-04 you don’t need the MFL Module
    If you have lower versions you have to find MFL module to convert output signal from the wheel.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    100%
    Yesterday I tried one more time a few CCM modules with different numbers of firmware.
    One year ago I've installed on my car hw07 sw03 and it didn't work till I put MFL module in the circuit.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Basically the cruise control buttons on the MFL don't use the iBus. They have their own separate wire. The adaptor boxes available ...
    Just to be sure, I wasn't talking about aftermarket adaptor boxes, but BMW's own MFL module.

Before the M sportwheel, which has the signal decoders inside the button pods, early E38/E39 models with 4 spoke steering wheel, has an MFL module under the steering wheel to convert the buttons presses into signals that the modules could do something with.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    If somebody wants to make cruise control working without MFL Module... they need this

P.S. I have spare one

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Are you sure about this? I have a HW07 waiting to go into my car with E39 MFSW.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    100%
    Yesterday I tried one more time a few CCM modules with different numbers of firmware.
    One year ago I've installed on my car hw07 sw03 and it didn't work till I put MFL module in the circuit.
    I wonder about this too. There's also tons of HW07 / SW 04 modules for sale for €20.

It does make me wonder. All E39/E38's have MFL and all had the option for the sport steering wheel. This steering wheel, like I have, doesn't need the MFL module as the en/decoder is inside the button pods. So if you ask me, it should always work, or at least for most later versions.

I mean, most people have no clue about HW/SW version and if their unit is broken and order a new one, the dealer will just order the partnumber for the module and won't ask or check what the SW/HW version is.

So it's not all 100% logical to me.

Only difference is the later cars had a On/Off button on the steering wheel and not an Off on the wheel and an On at the dash.
    Last edited by MParallel; 04-18-2011 at 09:04 PM.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    I wonder about this too. There's also tons of HW07 / SW 04 modules for sale for €20.

It does make me wonder. All E39/E38's have MFL and all had the option for the sport steering wheel. This steering wheel, like I have, doesn't need the MFL module as the en/decoder is inside the button pods. So if you ask me, it should always work, or at least for most later versions.

I mean, most people have no clue about HW/SW version and if their unit is broken and order a new one, the dealer will just order the partnumber for the module and won't ask or check what the SW/HW version is.

So it's not all 100% logical to me.
    5 minutes away from my home is a big storage for BMW’s used parts...
    So I was searching there for the cruise control modules and I found 3 with 08-04, and about 60 with other numbers....
    So... I tested almost every HW and SW, and only 08-04 works without MFL Module.

And... 08-04 also works with those steering wheel buttons that have only «0» symbol on the right button pad.
    and this «0» can swith on and off cruise control.

Like I said before, I think the MFL module was relocated to cruise control module, not into the right MFL pad.

P.S. I remember... on the friends E36 (MFL+MFL Module+E39 Cruise control module 07-03) we tested different steering wheel buttons (M wheel). So all! buttons, witn «|/0» and with «0» were working the same!
    Last edited by dancerst; 05-24-2011 at 06:03 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well since you all tested them, there is no need for me to doubt you. Of that sounds great. I only have the «0» switch, which is strange. I ordered the newest partnumber which is the same as people with «I/0» and I still only got «0». Maybe they put in a wrong symbol plastic? I was already afraid I have to buy another one as I bought everything new to have fresh clean buttons and they are not cheap. But if the HW08 works for on/off with only a «0» then that makes me very happy! Keep one spare for me. Can you give me a quote how much shipping would be from Belarus to Netherlands?
    Last edited by shogun; 09-01-2018 at 09:24 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    BMW M3

re

This is the 3 button version MFL that should work in E36 with other modifications.
    See attached picture, this item is for sale now, check: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1632392
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    This is the 3 button version MFL that should work in E36 with other modifications.
    See attached picture, this item is for sale now, check: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1632392
    That's the number I ordered and why did I get the «0» version. I wonder if I should have spec'd the «I/0» or if BMW screwed up. It's been too long now to complain now.

IG:

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325 TDS

MFL E46 to E36 325TDS

I installed a MFL E46 in my car that is a 325tds E36, and have the airbag, horn, lights, working without any problems, of course I did some modifications on the wheel and put the slip ring of E39. I would like to help me configure a connection to the cruise control and radio.

My Cars
    E36 M3, 11 X5d, 16 F31
    Anyone have any leads to a CC module with HW 08 - SW 04? thx
    Last edited by shogun; 09-01-2018 at 09:25 AM.

My Cars
    325i
    Joylove,

Did you ever investigate if the leds in the MFL-buttons could be turned on/off via some sort of ibus message? I don't think they are "always on" on an e39, so some how they have to get some info about the light switch position. If we assume it gets the info via the ibus it should somehow be possible to make a little micro controller that could send an ibus message when the lights goes on, and another when they are turned off.. I think...

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by bvli View Post
    Joylove,

Did you ever investigate if the leds in the MFL-buttons could be turned on/off via some sort of ibus message? I don't think they are "always on" on an e39, so some how they have to get some info about the light switch position. If we assume it gets the info via the ibus it should somehow be possible to make a little micro controller that could send an ibus message when the lights goes on, and another when they are turned off.. I think...
    Yes, your’e right. The LEDs do not always stay ON on E39 or E46 .... because they have «light module». On E36 we don’t have this, and the simplest way to turn ON LEDs only with park lights would be to install a light module from E46 in E36.

But, if someone make a micro controller, it would be awesome.

My Cars
    325i
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    Yes, your’e right. The LEDs do not always stay ON on E39 or E46 .... because they have «light module». On E36 we don’t have this, and the simplest way to turn ON LEDs only with park lights would be to install a light module from E46 in E36.

But, if someone make a micro controller, it would be awesome.
    Well.. From a log from navcoder on my e46 it says:
    LCM --> GLO : Lamp status, All_Off All_OK

I don't really know if the steering wheels controls are listening to the ibus, but I would think there's a possibility. I'm not good at programming embedded devices, but I think - with my limited knowledge - that it would be a simple task to program some IC to send a message on the bus (like the message above), when a pin goes high, and another when it goes low.

As I said, I'm not the guy. But i guess that a guy like m2pc, johnf or benemorius could do it with a hand tied on their bag, while sleeping..

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    The whole leds lighting up have always puzzled me. I know E38/E39/E46 and all later models have a huge unit behind the lightswitch that controls all the lights.

But still. There is one +12v wire that feeds both the lights AND the function of the buttons. So how it could ever be possible to have the buttons working, but not have them lit up is beyond me.
    Even if there was an ibus signal that would say to the leds to not turn on, how could the buttons work then?
    Unless it can somehow split up the power feed inside the button "pods" so it goes to the buttons, but not the leds.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Joylove,

Yes there is iBus messages about the status of the lights, and chatter about the position of the dash dimmer. I have the messages in my E46 logs.

Yes the MFL listens to iBus messages, it changes it's messages about the R/T and sneezing man buttons based on the presence or otherwise of the TEL telephone unit.

I've never bothered to do anything about the MFL lights, you simply do not need to. They are invisible until it is completely dark outside, and give a very soft glow when it is dark.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I've never bothered to do anything about the MFL lights, you simply do not need to. They are invisible until it is completely dark outside, and give a very soft glow when it is dark.
    True. But it would safe the lifetime of the leds, although they will probably survive my lifetime.

I have the BMW carphone, so I can say the R/T button (Radio / Telephone) simply switches between them.

If the radio is on and you press R/T the telephone book from the SIMcard is displayed and you use the arrow buttons to scroll through the entries. When you find the one you want to call, you press the "sneezing man" ( ) button (which is the voice imput button for later models with the voice control option which I would love to get working on the e36).

This button pressed again will end the call. Press R/T again to switch back to radio controls.

The R/T button also turns on the phone when it's off. All pretty sweet things considering BMW never offered this on our cars.

R/T button pressed, first entry is displayed

Scrolling to the next entry

Dialing voicemail. As I have set the phone to auto-mute the radio when a call is active, the radio will display:

After ending the call it briefly displays WAIT before the radio comes back on

And to see it in action:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdgIbStByr4[/ame]
    Last edited by MParallel; 05-26-2011 at 06:05 AM.

IG:

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    I have the BMW carphone, so I can say the R/T button (Radio / Telephone) simply switches between them.
    The MFL sends these commands

50 04 C8 3B 40 E7 ---> R/T
    50 03 C8 01 9A ---> R/T (when no telephone is present)

50 03 C8 01 9A is the request poll from the MFL to the Telephone.
    Once the MFL receives this POLL Answer, the button starts transmitting
    the code (50 04 C8 3B 40 E7).

OTOH if there is no phone in the vehicle, the answer “50 03 bf 02 ck MFL is fitted”
    ( C8 XX 50 02 00 CK | XX = LEN, CK = CHECKSUM) is never received and the
    R/T button continues to send 50 03 C8 01 9A when it is pressed.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    The MFL sends these commands

50 04 C8 3B 40 E7 ---> R/T
    50 03 C8 01 9A ---> R/T (when no telephone is present)

50 03 C8 01 9A is the request poll from the MFL to the Telephone.
    Once the MFL receives this POLL Answer, the button starts transmitting
    the code (50 04 C8 3B 40 E7).

OTOH if there is no phone in the vehicle, the answer “50 03 bf 02 ck MFL is fitted”
    ( C8 XX 50 02 00 CK | XX = LEN, CK = CHECKSUM) is never received and the
    R/T button continues to send 50 03 C8 01 9A when it is pressed.
    Hmm those codes are all puzzles to me. As long as they work

When no phone is active or available, when you press the R/T button it still goes into phone modus, i.e. the arrow buttons no longer change radio station. Press R/T again and it works again.

Of course when in phone mode, the volume buttons control the volume for the phone as well.

IG:

My Cars
    325i
    That's because of my disease.. "If it's possible, make it work"..

On the other hand - if the openobc gets an ibus pin, it should be possible to fix it with some C(++) code and the obc will be able to communicate with the MF-buttons to make other interesting things.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    That's because of my disease.. "If it's possible, make it work"..

On the other hand - if the openobc gets an ibus pin, it should be possible to fix it with some C(++) code and the obc will be able to communicate with the MF-buttons to make other interesting things.
    Srsly, my car is moddded to heck, and I have an iBus PIC project running event triggered code in my living room. I also have an illumination wire waiting at the slipring connector. I simply can't be bothered to do this; it is not worth an hour of my time because you simply cannot see the LEDs in the day.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Oh if only the OBC V would accept ibus input! It's cool that the CD43 acts as a MID for the phone, but it can only display 10characters, while the OBC has space for 20 or 22!

I know some 8 series owner had a nice project going on, and had his OBC display oil temp and oil pressure. But I believe the 8 series OBC, while looks the same, is a different beast inside.

IG:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast