Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: BMW E36 MFSW retrofit pictoral DIY

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix.a.ZX View Post
    Oh ... Dancerst, do you literally take the e39 '97 cruise module and splice it in place of the e36 cruise module?

It was gonna be my last resort at trying that option. I guess it should've been the first!

Sent from my CAT S61
    Yes any E38/E39/E46 GR2 module should be fine. Find a HW04/SW08 version to make sure the module doesn’t need a separate I (on) button like the early model had, so you can use the I/O button on your wheel to turn it both on and off.

You swap the module and you need to remove some pins (if you have the stock stalk like I did) and repin a few wires, listed in the beginning of this topic.

AND

While not needed to get it to work, but recode the module to your car.

The module needs to know the correct number of cylinders, the type of on/off system and your engine model.

The module I used already had correct cylinder number and set to MFL, but was coded for a 520i. After setting it for my S50B32_SMG, oh man, the system became super smooth. Much smoother than the stock setup.

The GR2 also has better logic for accel/decell.

Each engine has different amount of throttle (cable) movement for x-amount of butterfly opening. Specially on an ITB M3
    engine, correct coding of the module is paramount.

And luckely the SMG uses the same inputs/give outputs as an automatic E38/E39/E46.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 2.8 M52 AUT
    An A8 module from a four cilinder E46 will also work and might only need recoding to get it smooth for a 6 cilinder engine. I tried both such a unit and one from a V8 E38 and smoothness was not a dramatic difference so doesn't matter if you can't recode (which I haven't managed to do yet)

sent also with badass Cat S61!

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Thanks Mparallel, this might sound ridiculous but I've been searching online for the factory cruise control unit on E39 and I can't find anything online to match a good location in the cars, I have a few 6cyl 525 to look at '97-'98, and a 540. I think the '97-'98 is too early for the correct unit.

Sent from my CAT S61
    Ebay is usually full of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by djmhendrix View Post
    An A8 module from a four cilinder E46 will also work and might only need recoding to get it smooth for a 6 cilinder engine. I tried both such a unit and one from a V8 E38 and smoothness was not a dramatic difference so doesn't matter if you can't recode (which I haven't managed to do yet)

sent also with badass Cat S61!
    That’s exactly what I said. It will work without recoding, but it can make all the difference.

However you will need to code it if it’s from a car with separate on-button on the dash, if you want to be able to turn it on with the mfl.

IG:

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 2.8 M52 AUT
    Only meant to add that in case it is from an 4cil E46, you don't have to worry about the on/off button issue.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Only meant to add that in case it is from an 4cil E46, you don't have to worry about the on/off button issue.
    Ok.

Any E46 for that matter as no E46 had the dash on-button.

IG:

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 2.8 M52 AUT
    No, 6cil E46 used the DME for cc.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    No, 6cil E46 used the DME for cc.
    Yes, and these DME controlled systems also lack an on-dash on-button for activation. So need no recoding, but in this case no DME coding instead of GR2 module coding.

IG:

My Cars
    BMW E36 M3 Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Yes, and these DME controlled systems also lack an on-dash on-button for activation. So need no recoding, but in this case no DME coding instead of GR2 module coding.
    What software did you use to code the module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 M3 Evolution Convertible

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooney View Post
    What software did you use to code the module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NCS Expert and NCS Dummy.

IG:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 320i
    Dear guys,

first of all i would like to thank everybody, who helped us to improve and extend our car's features. I have read all of the posts more times, and thanks to you, i could fit an E39 CC to E36. It is a HW04 SW07, and works well with a 2 stages steering wheel without any other moduls. Work means, that the modul switches on and the "check" lamp on the dash is lighting. (i haven't fixed the actuator yet, it is the plan for tomorrow.)

I also could connect to the modul with inpa through E39 -> CC and the MF steering wheel buttons, and clutch and brake switch work well.

Unfortunately the modul is from a 6 cyl E39, so i would like to code it with NCS Expert. Yeah, i have used that app in the past to code my E46, and also could read the config data of my E36 (EWS, IHKA, GM). So coding with NCS Expert is not new for me, but at the moment I have no any idea, because if I choose E39 or E36 chassises in NCS Experts, none of them offer me the Cruise Control (GR2) modul in the list.. How can I go forward with this? How can I force to read that GR2 modul? (I would like to set the 4 cyl, and the m44b19 manual engine in that, because some of you wrote, that it could cause problems.)

Thanks in advance!

Bests,
    Last edited by godheart001; 03-23-2019 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    It’s not logical, but the file you need is FGR2 and is (funny again) already inside the E36 folder.

NCS Expert should tell you this.

PS my E36 folder has both GR2 for my factory module and the FGR2 for my E46 module.

IG:

My Cars
    2002 BMW 320i
    Hi!

Thanks for the hint, but could you please specify in detail the folder and the name of the file, and where should I search and/or copy it inside NCSEXPERT folder to be able to available for me coding this module?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 320i
    Hi again,

well, i have learnt a lot in the past few days..

I have retrofit (put) an e39 cruise control set to my e36, and the MFL is working as I wrote upper, but i would like to code the modul to my M44B19 engine. NCSEXPERT hasn't seen my modul, and I already know why..
    Regarding to this article: http://blog.uobdii.com/diy-coding-bm...rI2nm_XC5_ezzk
    I have to recode in NCSEXPERT the modules with the "FA" button and add the Cruise control feature to the system, to my VO number etc.. in NCSEXPERT\DATEN folder there is a E36ZST.xxx file, which contains the necessary codes and binarys, but for E46 the file and the records are obvoius, but for E36 not exactly..

Has anybody got experience with this process? I did "codierdaten lesen" and "codieren" with NCSEXPERT successfully in the past, but this feature adding is kindly new for me.

or maybe an other question.. my friend has got a working ISTA-P and DIS, because he has got the original adapter.. If I add the cruise control feature in ISTA or "retrofit" in DIS, maybe it should do the same.. The only thing why I fear about this, that ISTA or DIS check my car and it will change the present configuration of the modul, so the result will be, that I can not see the modul in NCSEXPERT and it will "uncheck" the MFL option in the modul to the original E36 "arm" option. Or it does not code the options of the modul, only add the cruise control option into my VO number?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1998 M
    Just changed out my i-bus wire with a nicer one and got a chance to take pictures to add to this Diy.

Here's my 2002 M5 machined steering wheel vs a E36 (z3) style steering wheel:

* Needed machining to fit the E36 style slipring*
    * I'm using a '97 E39 multi-wire e36 style slipring*

For wiring help, on the inside of my wheel the colors are as follows:

Purple : +12v (ignition switched)
    White : i-Bus
    Brown : steering wheel ground
    Black : not hooked up yet cruise module.

I changed my purple Steering wheel wire from getting power at the dimmer switch to get ACC +12v (key in step 1) by using the Vio/Yel wire that used to power and go to my factory Cruise Control Stalk Lever. Or you can install the steering wheel purple wire to Vio/Wht loom for IGN +12 on.

* For those wondering, the E39/E38 or E46 or those era steering wheels with illuminated buttons, the dimming is controlled by an i-bus signal given by the LCM (light control module). The LCM is a rather very large unit and that's why it's not something to swap into the e36*
    iirc the e46 LCM is 12-14" long by 5-6" wide.

Next I will hook up the cruise control module I got from a 528i HW08sw04

Sent from my CAT S61
    Last edited by Fix.a.ZX; 08-23-2019 at 03:29 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    A 2002 M5 wheel will be bigger than Z3/E36 M wheel. I just fitted the button pods to my M3’s wheel.

Reason why most, if not all (except you), fit the purple wire to switched +12v. During the day, the illumination is not visible and you have good controls whether lights are on off.

Light control is not by pwm signal, but ibus controlled. Our E36 dimmer’s are pwm controlled.

I have a custom module, not commercially available, that fits between the dimmer switch and ibus wire. This module translates the dimmer’s pwm signal into a corresponding ibus message (it uses a look-up table to find the ibus message, which can be updated) telling the steering wheel the dimmer’s state. So I have switched +12v on purple and a separate module to control the button’s dimmer state, mimicking the E46/39/38 setup.

IG:

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by ax77 View Post
    just an fyi for anyone doing this retrofit and using an aftermarket radio.

I couldn't figure out why my radio buttons weren't working. I thought my converter box (axxess aswc-1) was bad so I ordered a new one but still no buttons so I thought the buttons were bad. It turns out the ibus line needs +12v that the buttons don't supply to communicate. In a stock system with ibus the +12v is supplied by the radio or other source. I assume that pac converters supply the power since they require you to cut the ibus instead of tap into it in an oem setup. Feeding +12v to the ibus line through a 1k ohm pull up resistor got my radio buttons working.
    Thank you for posting this information! I am also using an Axxess ASWC-1 with an aftermarket radio (Alpine) and I could not get it to communicate with MFL. I added a 1K resistor between the pink and red wires and it paired instantly.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    That’s strange. The +12v is supplied to the steering wheel.

Why would it need another +12v supply?

IG:

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    That’s strange. The +12v is supplied to the steering wheel.

Why would it need another +12v supply?
    I sure one of the smarter guys can explain it better, but I'll will try;

The MFL's does have its own 12v to power it up, the hex/dec command is sent out to the recipient.

If you check pin 7 on the factory radio when it is on, it has power, maybe 12volts or lower, but it needs power to be able to process the command.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well you got it to work with that trick, so something is going on. You'd think that the Axxess ASWC-1 would mention this in its manual.

I don't know this Axxess module. Is it a wire on this unit you supply +12v to or your radio.

IG:

My Cars
    1996 ///M3
    anyone have a e39 hw 08 sw 04 for sale? can only seem to find the e46 4-cylinder version on ebay...

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by mpr3ssiv View Post
    anyone have a e39 hw 08 sw 04 for sale? can only seem to find the e46 4-cylinder version on ebay...
    What wrong about E46 one?

My Cars
    1998 M
    I doubt its very easy for everyone to change software to 6cyl using ncs

Sent from my CAT S61
    Last edited by Fix.a.ZX; 08-08-2019 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I doubt its very easy for everyone to change software to 6cyl using ncs

Sent from my CAT S61
    But it is very simple and you only need a cheap usb interface cable.

IG:

My Cars
    Alpina B12 5.7 B3 3.0 R
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Thank you for posting this information! I am also using an Axxess ASWC-1 with an aftermarket radio (Alpine) and I could not get it to communicate with MFL. I added a 1K resistor between the pink and red wires and it paired instantly.
    The pin 1 of the ASWC-1 is the serial data (or on other configurations CAN-Hi) IBUS out, this IBUS out is a 10-12V Serial data communication link. If the output is to low your radio cannot understand the information, therefore the signal is pulled up to 12V with the resistor.

The module MParallel is using is doing the same, but inside. If it is working with the old MFL box of an E38 it needs a different pull-up resistor too. Its some years ago when I designed the E36 MFL controller, but I remember it needs an adaption for the different working conditions on the IBUS signal communication. (E46 buttons or the old MFL box from E38)
    If I look at the ASWC-1 schematics I think this module cannot dimm the backlight on the MFL buttons in an E36, because you will need the pwm signal from the backlight switch to adapt it to a "dimming" broadcast message from a (virtual generated light control modul) LCM to the IBUS command. After power on the MFL is waiting for this LCM broadcast message, if nothing will happen the buttons will light up with the full dimming amount. This means that after power on the MFL module should send a dimm command with "no lightning" now the light on the MFL buttons will not illuminate. It looks easy for the beginning, but it wasn΄t.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Wonder if the resistor trick could be the answer for my non working Connects2 BMW steering wheel interface to control a Becker Mexico Pro (BE2430).

Maybe I’m chasing ghosts and this radio doesn’t have any remote control input support.

The BE2430 is the non-BMW BE2455, but the BE2430 has more options, including the most important ID3-tag support.
    I have no PhD in electronics to find out if this could be done in software/firmware, which would be ideal as I could keep the BMW unit and not mess with aftermarket interfaces and adapter cables.

IG:

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast