RM European Auto Parts

Thread: OK, it isn't blowing oil anymore. .....it's blowing coolant.

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.

OK, it isn't blowing oil anymore. .....it's blowing coolant.

: : Just got that little oil blowing problem fixed (perhaps DUMPING is a better word).

Now i'm blowing coolant at a jug a minute.

Cost of the last repair: .83 cents.

Cost of this repair: $80.00

New waterpump is coming in on the next day air truck in the morning. Along with hoses and a thermostat. This was a different problem than normal for the pump. It wasn't screeching, the bearing was good. It wasn't overheating, the impeller was fully intact. I was just blowing coolant out the front of the pulley.

Damn thing has had 2 major problems in 3 days. :
    Last edited by one; 12-28-2003 at 07:13 PM.
    Smell that? ......German leather and palm sweat.

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    Coolant looked good though.

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    I couldn't get the damn fan off to save my life, so i'm having someone remove it in the morning. yep..... i removed it without taking the fan off :

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    And just for shock value.....

I found it easier to do everything under the car without the bumper in my way. This is mostly an outside job, the old garage outback was the only thing i could get the car into right now, and they (whomever built it) never even concreted the floors. : (good thing i am building a new outside garage this summer) I'm definately not liking my 325i right now.

boy, that's ugly.
    Last edited by one; 12-28-2003 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    2006Toyota Tacoma, 1998Honda SuperHawk, 3dirtbikes
    Wow, you have gone though a lot in the last few days.

I like the way you handled the fan

I hope things improve for ya.
    (On going to war over religion) "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Rich Jeni

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    Thanks, i'm glad i can work on this stuff myself, i'd been $2k in the hole by now probably.

this will (crossing fingers) be fixed in the morning and i can move on to bushings.... everywhere.

My Cars
    2006Toyota Tacoma, 1998Honda SuperHawk, 3dirtbikes
    Please keep us posted on replacing all the bushings, if you used any DIY guides, and whatever knowledge you've gained.

I'd like to do the same soon. I want to put on a few handling mods on in the spring, but at the same time I have all original bushings, not a good combo.
    (On going to war over religion) "You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Rich Jeni

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    I got the car running today about 3pm. decided to take the rest of the day off

tommorrow i am pulling the rear end and replacing the wheel bearing and starting to remove the bushings. Special tools save a world of headache, but after working on tearing the front off this engine for the coolant system replacement, and fixing the oil leak, i understand that i really DON'T need the tools, they just help make everything much easier to work with.

since it comes down to paying hundreds of $$ in labor for multiple bushing replacements, $500 for a waterpump and labor, and $600+ to resolve that oil problem, i have totalled my money invested and it is $135 for a rear wheel bearing, a water pump, hose, thermo, and oil seal.
    looks like i saved $1,200.00 doing it myself and i'm, not out enough $$ to even miss at all.

i'll know how much i am out after i finish the bushing job, i ordered MOST of them, but not all. just the one's that were definately screwed.

These car's are simple to work on, my last project was a Porsche and i had it a year, full restore. THAT is when you need special tools. These are gravy. I'll let you know what to expect from the bushings in a few days pong.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325i, 99 BMW 528iT
    The coolant looks good, but it looks like Prestone. I have heard from some that you need the yellow BMW specific coolant to prevent corrosion. Anyone care to comment?

Since you were so creative in your water pump removal, I am looking forward to hearing about your rear wheel bearings. I hear it is a real PITA.
    BMWCCA Member #364761 www.bmwcca.org
    A Mercedes can also bring driving pleasure.....

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 SMG
    any word on the bushings? I'm interested in doing this too, I'd like to know how involved it is and cost of materials, etc. Good luck on replacing all that and nice job on the waterpump!

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    working on a little problem with the 318i right now.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=163931

when it's fixed, the 325i is going in the air for bushings and bearings.

My Cars
    '95 BMW M3-V8, '04 Ram D
    the coolant should be phosphate free to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion within the motor. Prestone is not typically phosphate free, so if that's whats in there, I would flush it. The BMW stuff is usually red or blue, but there are other coolants that are phosphate free, just look around.