Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alignment help - something's bent.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Pro Street W-30
    axle carrier looks fine. top wishbone looks fine. did bushings just now, console looks fine. trailing arm looks fine. the bodyshop is bringing it for alignment, having them put in the new camber arms and trailing arm, if needed. now we wait. Thanks for all the advice guys.

My Cars
    E46 M3, Pro Street W-30
    got it all sorted out, thanks again, everyone.

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    What was the problem?

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by dRock13 View Post
    got it all sorted out, thanks again, everyone.
    dude. come one. you can't be like that.

details please
    coming soon, S54's for everything....

My Cars
    E36 M3
    bumping this because i have this issue. I just installed new adjustable LCA, now trying to sniff out the issue.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    So your rear alignment was ok before, then you put in adjustable rear LCA's and your alignment is off now? Dumb question, have you had an alignment shop adjust the arms on an alignment rack? What are they not able to get within spec? What is your ride height?

The adjustable arms typically have a wider range of adjustment than the stock arms with their eccentric bolts, and I don't know how you could've installed them wrong. One bolt into the subframe and another into the trailing arm. Once installed you adjust their length for the proper camber setting. Rear toe is still adjusted with the trailing arm mount where the RTAB is.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    E36 M3
    So what it turned out to be was an incorrectly welded trailing arm into the pocket. It was off about 1/4 of an inch, which would not allow the tow to be properly adjusted. The shop re-welded the arm properly and notched the points to give me even more adjustment in the future. The guy doing the work is nationally ranked in rally, and has built hundreds of cages to various organization specs, built his own suspension components for his rally car, he turned to me and laughed and said he had never seen that before and it was a first for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    So your rear alignment was ok before, then you put in adjustable rear LCA's and your alignment is off now? Dumb question, have you had an alignment shop adjust the arms on an alignment rack? What are they not able to get within spec? What is your ride height?

The adjustable arms typically have a wider range of adjustment than the stock arms with their eccentric bolts, and I don't know how you could've installed them wrong. One bolt into the subframe and another into the trailing arm. Once installed you adjust their length for the proper camber setting. Rear toe is still adjusted with the trailing arm mount where the RTAB is.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadrbrewer View Post
    So what it turned out to be was an incorrectly welded trailing arm into the pocket. It was off about 1/4 of an inch, which would not allow the tow to be properly adjusted. The shop re-welded the arm properly and notched the points to give me even more adjustment in the future. The guy doing the work is nationally ranked in rally, and has built hundreds of cages to various organization specs, built his own suspension components for his rally car, he turned to me and laughed and said he had never seen that before and it was a first for him.
    Um, what? You don’t weld the trailing arm and you cannot weld it into the pocket. You weld a reinforcement plate that outlines the body side bolt bosses. These are fixed points. All of the adjustment comes from the trailing arm front bushing bracket.

What you describe doesn’t make sense even if it was done wrong as you say. Same goes for the supposed repair.

This is the body side “pocket”.

And the plate to reinforce it. None of this moves, ever.

These are what adjust alignment and allow the trailing arm to move the way it needs. None of this gets altered with reinforcement work.

Last edited by Braymond141; 07-06-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12