Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trunk Strut Replacement

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by siny528i View Post
    PS. And nope, my trunk does not open all the way up by only pressing the button Is there a problem? I installed new OEM Stabilus struts.
    No. The trunk should not pop up all the way by itself. Check my video at the end of post #24 in this thread.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Thank you for the DIY. One question: If the struts come facing the same side, how to you turn one of them (the bottom ball joint) the other direction? What am I missing? I can't get them to move. Long story short, I've already tried replacing the struts with the incorrect struts that were sent, my trunk didn't close. I now have the correct ones and they face the same direction. I've had the trunk slam shut after a big gust of wind, bonking me on the bridge of my nose on the way down and also coming down on my forearm. As you might imagine, I'm sorta done with it all so I'd like to figure out the resolution to the problem before I take the weakened old struts off again. I have 2 Stabilus OEM trunk struts part# 51248222913. Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Last edited by GolfingDingoE39; 12-26-2015 at 02:12 AM. Reason: added part name/number for clarity

My Cars
    1999 540i
    The shaft will spin in the cylinder.. It's under pressure, so you probably cant just do it by hand, but if you attach the ball end to your car, you will be able to rotate the cylinder by twisting the elbow end. You just need a little leverage.

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    This is a DIY that's been on my list since the trunk fell on the back of my neck after owning the car for a week . Don't put your fingers in the way - I'm willing to bet it'd slice them clean off.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by scyrusurcys View Post
    This is a DIY that's been on my list since the trunk fell on the back of my neck after owning the car for a week . Don't put your fingers in the way - I'm willing to bet it'd slice them clean off.
    This is a DIY I gotta do again. After 6 years it starts failing...
    Last edited by siny528i; 03-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    BMW CCA 434493

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    The Truck is SUPER Heavy!!!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    After 16 years, my trunk would close on itself if parked at the slightest angle. Found a pair of new Stabilus struts on ebay for $20 and replaced them. Works great now!

For anybody wondering about the struts sold in the parts stores, they can be hit or miss as they are mostly generic built. They "work" but dont expect OE performance. Best to stick with whoever made the original part since they built it to car company specs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12