Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: E46 m3 v10 s85

My Cars
    330ci

V10 m3 e46 s85b50

This is an M3 from England, with an S85B50 V10 from the E60M5.. I joined trackculture.com to see this M3.. I hope the owner does not care that I posted it here. It is an amazing swap that I am sure all will enjoy and hopefully others do something similar. A good if not close to perfect example for the BMW community. NOW THE REST IN THE OWNERS WORDS.. For updates go to trackculture.com....

http://www.trackculture.com/forum/in...v10-m5-engine/

The story starts with seeing this car advertised on ebay. You may well recognise the picture, as the company I bought it off had so many requests to buy it, that they've used the same picture many times in adverts on ebay and pistonheads to sell replicas.

It had Terrible Tein coilovers fitted, but had genuine CSL wheels, some big CAA front brakes, and a catalogue of genuine ACS parts.

My previous cars have mostly been Powerful and Japanese. I'd been out in a friends recently acquired E36 M3 and kind of dug it, so I thought I'd test drive this E46 to see if it was for me. After a long journey down, and a quick test drive. I'd put a deposit down on the car, and was on my way back preparing to sell everything I owned to purchase this car.

Much like pretty much every car I've bought in the past 10 years, my intentions were to not go nuts modifying it... That lasted all of about two weeks.
    I wanted to run some left over partworn Federal track tyres on the M3 as they are absolutely awesom grippy tyres, but we only had them in 18" so they were no good on the CSL wheels. So I bought some 18" BBS of a friend of mine, and rolled the lip of the arches for a little more clearance (scary moment on such an expensive car). At the same time I fitted a Seibon carbon fibre bootlid, and some smoked LED rear lights and some black front indicators.

I fitted a Stoptech rear big brake kit, that balances out the big fronts very well.

Then I took my first trip to the Nurburgring Pretty much everyone here is well aware of the feeling you get the first time you go there. It changed me, and I completely forgot about my idea's of not modifying the car.

Back to the daily driver grind, I put the CSL wheels back on, and colour coded the grill, rear diffuser, and the front splitter. I also got rid of the stupid stansion things on the ACS front splitter.

I swapped out the Tein coilovers for a set of the awesome HSD's.

Obviously, I have a lot of love for the CSL, and in search of a bit more power I bought a cheap(ish) ebay carbon airbox. It wasn't exactly a direct fit, but after a morning of bonding metal outlets into the carbon for the various pipes like idle control, it fitted and looked like this:

I ran it in limp alpha N mode, then visited AL Tuning to have a proper alpha N map.

I didn't like the air filter set up, so moved the filter just behind the front bumper, away from all the heat.

After a quick clean I took these shots

We got some new wheels in stock, so I had to give them a go. Rota Grid 18x10 ET20 all round

We had a blast around Oulton Park. Here's a video of Me in the E46 and my friends Paz and Jay in their E36 M3's

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/3224498"]http://www.vimeo.com/3224498[/ame]

The car was a little dirty by the end of that session

I bought some Kelleners sports cams, had it remapped again and it made 369bhp, then after a long search on German ebay, I managed to get these little beauties delivered.
    18x10 and 8.5 AC Schnitzer 3 peice wheels. Most modern BMW owners really don't get it, but I think these wheels look just about perfect on the E46 M3.

I bought an Eissenmann back box to mate up to a Supersprint mid section and the 100cell cats I already had fitted.

I had the cars paint corrected

I went to the Nurburgring again a couple weeks ago

And last week I did this:

Why you ask? Well there was nothing wrong with the engine, it still ran superbly, sounded superb, and was generally awesome and fast, but I've been hatching a plan for the past 6 months, that will explain why this is in my workshop:

and this is also sitting there:

For those of you that just see lumps of metal, it's an E60 M5 5.0 V10 engine, and an E92 M3 6 speed manual gearbox. That plus my M3 should equal awesome
    They fit together like this:

I'm in the process of finding the time to fit the engine into the bay as it's going to require a crossmember modification, engine mounts fabricating, gearbox mounts, and manifolds, plus a whole load of other stuff.
    I've also placed the order for a Pectel SQ6M ECU with Cosworth engine loom, and Cosworth Dash 2. It's about the most money I've ever spent in my life for those three things, but I've messed about with random ECU's and engine looms in the past, and this time I figured 'no thanks, let's not fuck about' So the best of the best it is, and I'll put the new house purchase on hold haha !

I'll update this thread as soon as I pull my finger out and get back on it. For now this is my daily driver:

Last edited by TEUTONIC; 02-22-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Sold-1995 Hellrot E36M3/Sold-1991 brilliantrot E30M3

"Ich mag ein nacktes, leichtes Auto haben. Für gemütlich geh ich ins Bett." Tim Schrick

My Cars
    330ci
    Some progress! Check out the blog here: http://www.trackcult...rsion-progress/

It’s been a few months since anyone last heard about this project. We were set back by an incredibly challenging season of drifting, which as of this weekend will be coming to a close.
    However there’s been a lot of work going on in the back ground. First and foremost the best decision I made was to enlist the help of our next door neighbours Dynotorque, who are responsible for 90% of the LS V8 Engine conversions in to RX7′s and BMW’s in the UK.
    Craig the owner of Dynotorque is a dab hand at engine conversions, and considering the scale of this particular swap, and my distinct lack of ramp time available in our workshops, it just made sense to enlist their services.
    I also decided to go with a Pectel ECU system put together by Cosworth and KMS Racing Engines in Holland. These guys have plenty of race experience with the V10, and are one of the few companies to have made the V10 work in another car. Their expertise has been invaluable so far, and we haven’t even received the ECU and loom yet.
    So here we start with the pictures of the fabrication. Please excuse the logo’s on each picture. It’s part of the arrangement with the companies that have played a part in building this car. Without them it wouldn’t be happening!
    The car is pushed round to our next door neighbours Dynotorque, and sat in what will be it’s home for the next month, and the pallet of V10!

Ready to take a run up and smash the engine in the hole!

Okay, so a bit more ‘a little bit’ more finesse is required

Craig supports the engine on the inner wings so we can have a look at the minefield of fitment issues underneath.
    The engines pushed back right to the bulkhead to see what sort of space we’re going to need up top too.

With the engine position measured, the gearbox was held in position, and Craig made the gearbox mount using the E92 M3 gearbox mount shaved down, strengthened with plating, and mounted up to the car body using a milled block of alloy to perfectly fit the uneven mounting surface, and level up the mount beautifully.

Then with the gearbox mount in place, he turned his attention to the front crossmember. This had to be scalloped significantly to accept the sump from the V10. It was strengthened inside with 1/4 steel bar, and plated together.

In this shot you can also see the temporary support used to help make small adjustments to the positioning of the engine.

Then came the time for engine mounts. This was really tight, as we wanted to keep the standard headers on the engine because they are a bit of a masterpiece. Well done BMW!

Some stainless steel plate was cut to mount to the block, and some heavy duty LS engine mounts used. We don’t want this engine to move as there’s about 5mm clearance between headers and chassis rails, but we also don’t want excessive vibration. Here you can see it just tacked together.

Now the drivers side (right side for us in the UK) was a very tight squeeze. Not only were the headers an issue, but you can also see here the first view of the steering rack we’ve swapped to for further clearance on the front part of the sump where the cam chain sticks out. The BMW rack is very thick, so we’ve gained a huge amount of room without effecting rack positioning.

Now this is a massive deal! It’s a bit of a shame to only give it one picture, as the work that has gone into solving the steering column/header clearance issue is immense! Most people would give up when they see an issue of this scale, but not Dynotorque!
    What you see in this picture is a steering column modified to have an extra universal joint. One of the original joints was moved into the car, then a straight shaft is supported by a modified AlfaRomeo Wheel bearing, which goes to another UJ, which passes through a perfectly scalloped section of the chassis rail, which has been reinforced to retain the same strength. It then hits the Mazda steering rack which happens to be the same ratio as a CSL rack, but with more lock… PERFECTION!

After these mamouth tasks were taken on, we finally stepped back, looked at the car, and new that this was actually going to happen! We felt a congratulatory fitment of the plenums was in order. Checking for Bonnet clearance. There is loads!!! Awesome!

After we had a custom propshaft made (E92M3 and E46M3 rear), it was time for the exhaust work. The standard headers had the Cats chopped off, and new stainless flanges welded on. Things are tight, and we tried to ensure the exhaust cleared the external engine oil pumps, and suspension bushes which are prone to melting, but also to make sure ground clearance was at a maximum, as I like my cars low!

Craig has become a dab hand at TIG welding in recent years, and I’m really pleased with the work he’s done mating the V10 engine to the Supersprint mid section leading to Eisenmann backbox.

And that’s where we’re at right now! Most of the big fabrication work is complete. Craig from Dynotorque has worked his ass off on this car for a month straight, and I’m sure you’ll agree the work is brilliant.
    He has a lot more little jobs to take on, like repositioning and piping the ABS unit, fitting the M5 radiator, and all of the hose work to get this to run, so we’ve still got a couple more weeks work here. Then we’re just waiting on the Pectel SQ6M12 ECU, Cosworth motorsports loom, Cosworth Omega Dash , and an extremely trick Mechanical throttle linkage, all from KMS Racing Engines, which will allow us to run a normal cable throttle on the 10 Independent throttle bodies.
    Watch this space for the next installment of the Trackculture.com E46 M3 V10 Conversion

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ8HxZB5Emo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ8HxZB5Emo[/ame]

UPDATE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10cyk8tHUA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

UPDATE August 2011

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOhe1mDhjo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by TEUTONIC; 08-06-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    Sold-1995 Hellrot E36M3/Sold-1991 brilliantrot E30M3

"Ich mag ein nacktes, leichtes Auto haben. Für gemütlich geh ich ins Bett." Tim Schrick

My Cars
    96 M3
    woooooooowwwwwww!!!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    um... wow
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    wish my pocket were as deep as yours ! just sick work

My Cars
    Azn Ruxury

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Damn!!!!

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    holy sweet jesus/
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    94 b3 3.0 96 b8 4.0
    this will end up being the most amazing e46 m3 in the world . not a job for the average backyard mech lol . cant wait to see the finished project

My Cars
    ahghhhhhhhhh get out of My dreams!!!

(This thing is going to be BAD ASS! I WANT!)
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 325Ci
    this is just ingredible i am at a loss of words for this
    '83 320i in the works

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI
    awesome!!!

2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20) = Current
    2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200 AMG Line = Current

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    subscribed!
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    Abarth, Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Milne View Post
    subscribed!
    +1 this is gonna be epic!!

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    yes
    awesome!!

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe- 3050lbs
    Hey the 9th and 10th pictures down in this thread, are those ZCP Competition package csl wheels? I know the top ones are but for some reason they look different.

My Cars
    E36 323i
    fuck shit cock holy mother fucker that is awesome

My Cars
    e46 m3, e30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Zic View Post
    fuck shit cock holy mother fucker that is awesome
    My thoughts exactly. Wish I the tenacity to do this to my e46 M, mines carbon black as well. Love it, can't wait to see more!
    "Dude I think thats a cop."
    "Yeah man, we should probably go faster.."

My Cars
    S60R, 72 cutlass

My Cars
    Alpine White E36 M3
    Do want

My Cars
    Alpine White E36 M3
    Do want

My Cars
    95 M3
    Fucking awesome! subscibed.

My Cars
    2000 e39 528i
    my jaw dropped just reading the thread title....that is fuckin awsome!!!!!

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    subscribed!!!!!!
    -Andrew Mensah

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast