Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e36 radio cutting in and out (stock c33 + stock amp)

My Cars
    2001 325i

e36 radio cutting in and out (stock c33 + stock amp)

Hey guys,

For the last month or so I have had intermittent sound from my c33 HU. Upon doing a search, everyone seemed to have fixed this problem by replacing the amp. I replaced the amp with a working refurbished model, but my problem still exists. I also read that it maybe from the speakers shorting out and the amplifier cuts the speakers off to avoid doing more damage. I tested this out by seeing if sound would stay on upon putting the power specifically to the LF, RF, LR, and RR speakers, but the sound was still randomly cutting in and out. I took the HU and and all of the connections seem strong. When cutting in and out, the HU stays on and has a constant radio signal. I was going to buy an aftermarket HU, but I hate to shell out the cash if its not going to fix the problem.

Any suggestions, tests, or tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    2001 325i
    BUMP, checked the grounds and still no results. Would trying another stock HU be a good next step?

No music in your car for a month is

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Anybody??? Still looking for tests/possible solutions....

-Thanks

My Cars
    1994 325is, 1995 540i/6
    Same problem you are having. It started happening the end of last summer. And when it is cold out it does not happen. Unless I have the heat set to the flour (i think). So maybe it is something to do with that? I really need to get on fixing this before it starts to get really warm here.
    Can you send me the company that you ordered your referbished amp from? I figure that would be a good place to start.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    I got the amp from eBay, I also got a new HU from Crutchfield that I should be installing over the weekend, I'll update this post on whether or not it works

My Cars
    1995 Avus M3 Coupe
    Not sure if this is the same problem i was having. On mine the sound would just fade away like you where turning the volume down, then it would come back, and it would do this all the time, sometimes it would go down and stay down until i turned the car off for awhile. Was really fucking annoying...
    Got a nice brand new Sony head unit, problem solved.
    2002 BMW 540i Touring Sport

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Any luck figuring it out bimmerblocker89? I too have just ordered a refurbished amp off of e-bay hoping it will fix the problem. Geeezzzz I hope it does.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy1 View Post
    Any luck figuring it out bimmerblocker89? I too have just ordered a refurbished amp off of e-bay hoping it will fix the problem. Geeezzzz I hope it does.
    Just installed a new headunit and a refurbished amp...my problem still exists...I'm speculating that my problem is still in my amp. I'm going to see if I can get another at a junkyard or something...if that doesn't work, it could be a complete harness, which I would not be ready to tackle

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Doesn't sound good. I just ordered a new HU CD-43 and a junkyard amp myself. Now for some reason I don't think the CD-43 will work as my system is the Hi-fi. After I receive the parts and install I'll post back and let you know how I made out. Fingers are crossed. I'm curious as to why you still think the amp is your problem when you changed it though.

Just replaced my amp and bingo, I now have sound. I made sure that the part # on the amp I ordered was identical to the stock amp I had. I believe this makes a difference as these amps are specific to the system (Headunit) itself.

I also swapped out my C-33 for the CD-43 I bought. To be honest, there is not much difference in the quality of the sound.
    Last edited by foggy1; 03-11-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Good goin! I'm ready to give up on mine to be honest...two amps, two different headunits, same problem. I checked my antenna wires on the rear window and all other wires, everything is visually ok.

Does anybody have any suggestions for areas that are prone to short, pinch, or just flat out fail? Major head-scratching going on...

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    I thought I was going to give up too but it's difficult driving for a few hours and only having the wife to listen too. I hope you get'r figured out without too much cost. Might be time to take it to the electronics guy. Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Just went to almost every audio shop in SE MI and nobody is willing to touch the OEM harness. All they want to do is take the 50W from the new HU and rewire that to ALL speakers! Wont that make everything sound like it's coming from a tin can?

What do you guys think?

My Cars
    Hellrot ///M3
    If you already got a aftermarket HU, why don't you try an aftermarket amp?

There's a chance both of your "factory" amps are/were bad.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by lopro View Post
    If you already got a aftermarket HU, why don't you try an aftermarket amp?

There's a chance both of your "factory" amps are/were bad.
    That may be my last option, whats a good size to get? I dont plan on any additional aftermarket speakers or subwoofers.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i saloon
    I bought a JVC head-unit from Crutchfield last week.

Initial impressions:
    -Fast delivery
    -Better match for car(black radio with orange lighting)
    -USB and Aux on front(i charge my Droid while listening to Def Leppard!)
    -Came with harness adapter and Ant adapter
    -Everything works
    -ONLY $129.99 shipped!

Yeah, can't complain except previous MORON owner hacked up my harness and ripped out amp. So i actually soldered all connections, simplified rear wiring.

I AM VERY HAPPY.

To Do list:
    New Ant wire for FM signal.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by SimTechDJ View Post
    I bought a JVC head-unit from Crutchfield last week.

Initial impressions:
    -Fast delivery
    -Better match for car(black radio with orange lighting)
    -USB and Aux on front(i charge my Droid while listening to Def Leppard!)
    -Came with harness adapter and Ant adapter
    -Everything works
    -ONLY $129.99 shipped!

Yeah, can't complain except previous MORON owner hacked up my harness and ripped out amp. So i actually soldered all connections, simplified rear wiring.

I AM VERY HAPPY.

To Do list:
    New Ant wire for FM signal.
    That's great, but doesn't really correlate to my problem...

Anybody else?

My Cars
    97 318i
    So when cutting out, is you radio basically dead like mine? I did the button light fix last year and now it's very bright when it's actually on. The HU seems to be getting no power at all though most of the time. Every once in a while I hit the power button and i can enter my code. If I'm lucky I can listen for up to 15 seconds before the unit dies again. Any ideas?

My Cars
    2008 M3 AW on Fox
    My problem is similar to the original poster. The FM radio will give a 'fuzz' sound at all volume meaning it is not working. Then 10 minutes later, it comes on magically. Then fuzz. Then work. I have a spare Pioneer in the garage. Maybe I just need to install that. The C33 sounds funky at higher volumes sometimes too. Maybe it's the amp but I'll try the HU first. Any other's finding a fix? Old thread, I know, but it's the same issue.

Update:
    I installed the new JVC head unit and the stereo works consistently and sounds MUCH better. The C33 is just out-dated, when it works.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 06-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    08 Alpine on Fox Red - Bot 1.19.23 in Spearfish
    97 Byzanz on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.14.21 to Behzad of Newark

97 Byzanz on Magma M3/4/A - Sold 7.7.17Jerad in CO

98 TiSilver on Black M3/4/A - Sold 7.19.17 Jono driving it
    96 Boston on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 10.28.17 Benny and Suad
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold 9.23.13 Garrett driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/4/5 - Sold - 4.2.13 - Ron driving it
    98 Estoril on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 8.6.12 Thy driving it
    99 Estoril on Sand M3/2/5 - Sold 7.31.12 Eric driving it
    98 Arctic on Dove M3/2/5 - Sold 3.10.12 Kyle driving it
    96 Techno on Black M3/2/5-Sold 6.13.09 Ross totaled it

My Cars
    '08 Z4Si
    Quote Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
    My problem is similar to the original poster. The FM radio will give a 'fuzz' sound at all volume meaning it is not working. Then 10 minutes later, it comes on magically. Then fuzz. Then work. I have a spare Pioneer in the garage. Maybe I just need to install that. The C33 sounds funky at higher volumes sometimes too. Maybe it's the amp but I'll try the HU first. Any other's finding a fix? Old thread, I know, but it's the same issue.

Update:
    I installed the new JVC head unit and the stereo works consistently and sounds MUCH better. The C33 is just out-dated, when it works.

How do I tell if I have the C33?

I have an 08 Z4 Si with the Business CD head unit.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i LSD 5spd
    Cant edit posts on mobile apparently...
    Wanted to add this video to https://youtu.be/JPkOSBPBZ8w

From a year earlier then the other post.

- - - Updated - - -

This board and mobile are a HORRIBLE mix ffs.

Is this what is happening?

https://youtu.be/JPkOSBPBZ8w

https://youtu.be/mR_a7eqXdds

Short blurts of sound every second or so?

My Cars
    1989 325ic
    08Z4 - a few cures from the face plate...
    C33 has a cassette deck and weather radio
    C43 has a cassette deck, adds RDS / PTY (displays programming / song info), drops weather radio
    CD43 adds CD player, drops cassette deck

CD43 also adds "high power" ie the same amp chips typically found in the old outboard amp is built into the HU. But you can't see that from the face plate