Thread: antenna for keyless entry

My Cars
    2002 bmw 525i

antenna for keyless entry

Has anyone had problems with their key for 2002 525i? I have bought 3 keys over the time I have had this car, and yesterday I took the key by local dealer to have programed and he told me that the antenna was bad not the key, ($318.00) can I not get a antenna from scrap yard? Has any one DIY on replacing antenna? Thanks for replies.

Johnny525i

My Cars
    01 M3
    I think my antenna went bad too...both my keys stopped working at the same time...are these cheap/easy to fix?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    The antenna is built into your rear window. Those lines going through the back of it are used for a few things. One is heating the rear windows, but they are also used for your radio antenna, key antenna, and something else that isn't coming to mind right now.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

As many times as the instructions on how to re-initialize the remote keys has been posted on this and other forums (see the FAQ & DIY threads)...I'm not sure why one would go to the dealer.

real old style 2-button key (infra-red)

old style key

new style key
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2002 bmw 525i
    I was told by the guy at the dealership that the antenna for the key was in the rearview mirror and no programming was needed for installing. Has any one attempted to replace it yourself and if so how hard was it to remove and install. I just replaced my radio because they said it was bad but now im wondering did this have anything to do with my radio not working, any thoughts?

Johnny

Qsilver7, I tried what you suggested and I do have a new style key without a battery. Are you suggesting it may not be the antenna and the dealer is trying to hit me for $$$$$? How can I check to see if it is the antenna or jus the ky needs programmed? Was he right aout the rearview mirror, he held the key up to the mirror when he was trying to program. What do you suggest? Thanks,

Johnny
    Last edited by jlathan525i; 02-24-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    01 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jlathan525i View Post
    I was told by the guy at the dealership that the antenna for the key was in the rearview mirror and no programming was needed for installing. Has any one attempted to replace it yourself and if so how hard was it to remove and install. I just replaced my radio because they said it was bad but now im wondering did this have anything to do with my radio not working, any thoughts?

Johnny

Qsilver7, I tried what you suggested and I do have a new style key without a battery. Are you suggesting it may not be the antenna and the dealer is trying to hit me for $$$$$? How can I check to see if it is the antenna or jus the ky needs programmed? Was he right aout the rearview mirror, he held the key up to the mirror when he was trying to program. What do you suggest? Thanks,

Johnny
    I'm assuming you've checked the fuses? I had a similar issue twice now where all the keys stopped working and it always turned out to be a fuse above the battery in the trunk..
    Apparently my sig was too sexy for bf.c
    Click for teh sexiness...

My Cars
    2002 bmw 525i
    Thanks for that, do you now which fuse it would be and was your car a 525i 2002?

Thanks,
    Johnny

My Cars
    01 525i
    Not sure the number, but on the fuse guide I think it's for "Central Locking system" and it was an 01 525. There are only a handful of fuses in the trunk above the battery
    Apparently my sig was too sexy for bf.c
    Click for teh sexiness...

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by jlathan525i View Post

Qsilver7... How can I check to see if it is the antenna or jus the ky needs programmed? Was he right aout the rearview mirror, he held the key up to the mirror when he was trying to program. What do you suggest? Thanks,

Johnny
    No, he was WRONG about the e39 rearview mirror...just as the info I posted above & below (again) shows/indicates...the FZV (keyless entry) antenna is embedded in the rear windshield...and the receiver is located on the rear passenger C pillar.

If you can activate the alarm system (red LED starts flasing) when you MANUALLY lock the car using the key in the door lock...then the issue is probably like others suggested...there's an electronic issue with your FZV system.

Lock the car manually, and walk around to the fuel filler flap. If it is NOT locked...then this points directly at the fuel filler door actuator more than likely being the culprit. Open the trunk, open the battery compartment door and LOOK at the fuse index printed in the trunk area. The fuse index will reveal what the fuse number AND its location in the fuse gang box. Check to see if the fuse for the central locking system (in the trunk) is blown. If it is...check the fuse box in the glovebox to see if you have a spare that has the correct amperage. Replace it and RE-PROGRAM your remote keys according to the directions in my previous post. If it fails, then check the fuse again to see if it is blown. If that fuse keeps blowing....then your fuel filler door actuator is toast and needs to be replaced.

If this is the case, you can unplug the actuator until you can get a replacement...check the fuse again to see if it is good, then program your remote keys again.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-25-2011 at 05:38 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E34 HD61 E39 DH61
    Thank you this....
    I shall try this on my DH61 since my key FOBs stopped working after replacing the CR2016 batteries in them

stay safe ✌️