Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 540i osv oil catch can conversion

My Cars
    95 B14/5,98 E39/6
    Quick question guy. I did the mod using the X5 Oil separator and think the car is sucking oil through the line connected to the oil filter can. Coming from lower part (for drain). Any suggestion. Tailpipe wet.
    Last edited by larinah; 05-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Excellent thread and DIYs.

What exactly fails on the OS (inside engine)? How can one diagnose a failed OS vs. a failed PCV/CCV?

- - - Updated - - -

nvm, I found the answer to my question: Small bushing on the bottom of the OS:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...r-OSV%29/page2

Seems like catch can is an indestructible solution to this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Good overview of CV system:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E31/BMW_M60...entilation.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Since it seems that its the small bushing the fails on the OS that causes all of the problems. Has anyone tried to change just that part?
    #2 on this pic (11151747048) same part no. for pre vanos and vanos:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/c/o/3.png

$8 part sounds good for all of this headache, yah labor intensive but I would say same as catch can DIY?
    Last edited by AK_5eries; 05-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Okay so I currently have a crappy catch can fix right now where it just vents to the atmosphere and has no return line. My friend who has been through step suggested maybe we could install a e36 OSV/cyclone. On the e36 its all one piece and is connected to the manifold and the valve cover. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Thread revival! I've been having this annoying smoke problem since I bought my 540, I replaced the ccv and was still getting smoke on startup, along with a howling noise from the engine.
    I didn't want to re-time the engine due to the osv so I installed a catch can following the diy by fletchermse, I used a kobalt water air separator from lowes($24) and 8 feet of 3/8 id fuel line hose from autozone along with all the barb fitting and T fitting from home depo, followed the diy step by step. After everything was installed I haven't had any smoke at all, I put a metal sponge inside the separator to help the oil condensation. Everything works great, no more smoke or howling noises. Thanks everyone for the help.

My Cars
    '98 750il, '89 325IC
    I think I need to connect to valve cover. I want to try this because I am getting a lot of oil from pipe under intake manifold. I think that osv is sucking more oil than if I went to top of valve cover. Someone mentioned a spot that was easily accessible. Can someone fill me in on where that would be. I have a 99 540.
    Thanks

My Cars
    99' 540i
    Anyone in the So-Cal area willing to do this conversion and make a little extra cash? I just don't have the time to get it done. Please let me know. Thanks

My Cars
    2000 540i 6spd
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking about switching to a catch can. 42 Draft Designs is having a sale right now - catch cans start at $84.50 with coupon.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Has anyone successfully done the X5 external OS swap?

Having a bit of trouble figuring out what line and from where it comes that feeds the OS. If someone where to do the X5 swap, what line from the E38/E39 M62 would be used to feed the external OS?

Is the 42DD catch can just a hollow can? If so, why is it so expensive?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys think of this catch can:

http://catchcans.com/can1.html#

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I believe that on the X5, the external OSV gets fed from the left side valve cover. There is a port on the X5 VC.

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    The ports are also on E38-E39 valve covers, only they are blocked off. If you drill the blocked part out you can run a hose right from the top of the valve cover just like the X5.

My Cars
    2000 540i 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post

Is the 42DD catch can just a hollow can? If so, why is it so expensive?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys think of this catch can:

http://catchcans.com/can1.html#
    The 42DD can contains perforated plates which are used to catch/condense the oil:

cc_stl02.jpg

As for the catch can you linked, it looks like it could work. The one thing that looks "different" about it compared to other designs is that it appears to use a small bit (~0.875" dia) of Scotch-Brite as the media.

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
    Is the 42DD catch can just a hollow can? If so, why is it so expensive? - - - Updated - - - What do you guys think of this catch can: http://catchcans.com/can1.html#
    I got the 42DD because it doesn't attract attention. And the braided lines going to it match the oil filter lines. Like you asked, it didn't even alert the smog guy. Also, if you're already saving a ton of money, I think you should get the highest quality parts you can. Mine was installed for around 60k miles without a single issue, and then I sold it.
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Thanks for info guys. Does anyone know exactly where the covered port is on our valve covers?

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    You can see the port in this picture, it's all the way on the bottom far right corner, the little nub that sticks out is the blocked off port. Drill a hole in it and run the hose to the can.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Is that port only on the tu motor? I dont remember seeing it on my pre vanos 98...

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Can't say for sure about the pre vanos. I've only worked on the vanos motors.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Is that port only on the tu motor? I dont remember seeing it on my pre vanos 98...
    Exactly what I thought when he first posted.

Anyhow, after doing some research, the CCV system on the E53 seems to also make trouble, so I don't see the benefit of replacing one troublesome system with another, so aftermarket catch can it is. I wonder if even the E53 M62 OS works as well as an aftermarket oil separator/catch can.

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    You can also use a E39 M5 oil separator, it's cheap, external,and just as effective.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I think having that stainless steel brillo pad or similar de-mister material inside is key to getting the best oil removal from the vapors. Getting one with that or one you can open up so you can add it yourself is best. Imo.

My Cars
    Suck
    After reading about this and seeing a few cars in person I decided to look at the problem. It seems like the only way to have this extra oil in the intake is if the drain becomes clogged, preventing the system from draining oil back. I see people saying the bushing on the bottom of the OSV gets cracked, but that doesn't really explain how extra oil gets into the intake. If there were even a little carbon buildup inside the bottom of the OSV, it would be pretty easy to miss it if it fell out when removing it.

This catch can solution obviously works, and I'm sure not knocking it, but I can't help but think the first thing that should be tried is dropping the lower oil pan and running some weed-wacker trimmer line up through the drain tube to see if there is any clogging going on. Compressed air should be a help as well. If you remove the intake, you can spray solvent down the tube leading into the osv and that should free up anything else clogging anything.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    How is the M5 OS system different than the x5?

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Not quite sure on the differences, I've just heard people using the M5 ones and having goodluck with them.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Bavarian, very interested in your setup if I don't go the M5 OS route. How well does that Kobalt separator work? Any oil consumption since you put it in?

The problem with being in CA is that they will probably fail you if they see an 'aftermarket' modification to the OS system. If it weren't for smog check I would have went with your solution or catch can solution by now. But I need to make it look OEM. Need go outside now and check if I have that opening on the side of the valve cover.

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    My setup works great, I've looked into my throttle body multiple times after installing the separator, no oil whatsoever, everything is clean. Before I would have oil pooling up around the throttle plate. You can get an oem looking catch can on Amazon or other sites which would look very close to factory, and work as well as any other. I just chose the kobalt one because I have a Lowes close to me. No more oil consumption at all.
    Last edited by BavarianE39; 12-08-2013 at 07:40 PM.

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Thanks for your input Bavarian, much appreciated. I couldn't really get a good look at my valve covers to see if it had that hole, but according to real oem, the vanos/prevanos are different:

Prevanos #1/#5:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=11&fg=15

Vanos #1/#5:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...53&hg=11&fg=15

I guess that eliminates using the M5 OS solution.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast