Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 540i osv oil catch can conversion

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    You need to plug the Ccv where the alum pipe would go and drill out the side of the Ccv and put your pipe in that for the catch can
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman
    You need to plug the Ccv where the alum pipe would go and drill out the side of the Ccv and put your pipe in that for the catch can
    I like what you've done with the catch can, do you think you could make a more detailed DIY guide for this, I want to do this but since the info is in afew different posts and back & forth, I don't want to get confused as to which connections and steps in need to perform. Thanks in advance!

CJ

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Sport
    Jeeze.. wtf I hope I don't stumble across this issue. Actually at the moment my timing is getting all done

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    um I might get around to it someday. Its really simple,
    0. remove intake manifold and reassemble everything after (duh)
    1. use the fitting off the alum tube and fit it to 3' braided steel line (see pic with fitting)
    2. hook it into the timing cover and run it out and around the back of the block
    3. cap the CCV with a vacuum plug
    4. drill out the end of the CCV where it looks like it was gonna go but makes a 90 bend
    5. put an emission safe elbow into the ccv
    6. hook the braided line to the elbow and run it to where the other line was curving out from behind the engine
    7. make a mount for the catch can (see pic)
    8. put the hose from the timing cover into the bottom inlet
    9. put the hose going to the ccv onto the top outlet
    10. drain the can every 200 miles
    11. save $2000
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 04-12-2011 at 03:14 AM.
    I still own an e30, but life has picked up speed and I no longer frequent this forum or own my e39. Thanks for 7 years of help everyone!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Sport
    Ok thank God I stumbled on this thread.. I am actually right in the timing job right now with it dismantled. I just called the mechanic to suspend work on it till I get the OSV tomorrow. Is there a way to re-enforce this piece? Someone said to galvanize it. I wanna dip it in something that will keep it from going bad BUT also be oil safe. Any ideas?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwhiteman View Post
    um I might get around to it someday. Its really simple,
    0. remove intake manifold and reassemble everything after (duh)
    1. use the fitting off the alum tube and fit it to 3' braided steel line (see pic with fitting)
    2. hook it into the timing cover and run it out and around the back of the block
    3. cap the CCV with a vacuum plug
    4. drill out the end of the CCV where it looks like it was gonna go but makes a 90 bend
    5. put an emission safe elbow into the ccv
    6. hook the braided line to the elbow and run it to where the other line was curving out from behind the engine
    7. make a mount for the catch can (see pic)
    8. put the hose from the timing cover into the bottom inlet
    9. put the hose going to the ccv onto the top outlet
    10. drain the can every 200 miles
    11. save $2000
    Man I wish you were here in Az. I just had my mechanic replaced with new clutch all timing chains, guides, tensioners and such for 600.00

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA Sport
    I think I get what your saying but u think u could use ms paint and manipulate this image to show what u did under the intake to the ccv and rear intake cover?

CJ
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i Sport
    Looks like the necks are now metal. I've seen them everywhere as all plastics

My Cars
    2000 540i AC Schnitzer
    Hey there....again.Did you come up with a solution for your drain back problem??Thanks

My Cars
    2002 540i bmw
    i would like to try this install ,are there any pictures on what was done to ccv.thanks

just looking for anything new on this such as pictures of the modifying of the ccv in back of intake,thanks in advance
    Last edited by bemmerray; 08-15-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    guys,
    can I drain the catch can back into the sump through the dipstick? my 540 is really smoking, started 2 weeks ago, and the wife is really bitchin at me to fix it .. anyone have this working properly?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    porschester

My Cars
    2002 540i bmw

question bmwhiteman

how did you connect to timing cover (catch can conv,)this is a great idea,i m ready to go ,except i want to make sure i understand the concept.any help would really be appreciated.thanks again

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    I know you have all been waiting for better pics and I'm sorry. I'll take some more pics tomorrow and post them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzerkiwi
    Hey there....again.Did you come up with a solution for your drain back problem??Thanks
    Yes I did. I cut the oil overflow line. (the non steel braided line coming out the front of the oil filter housing. I just got a brass T from home depot and ran a line from the catch can drain to the T.

Quote Originally Posted by porschester
    guys,
    can I drain the catch can back into the sump through the dipstick? my 540 is really smoking, started 2 weeks ago, and the wife is really bitchin at me to fix it .. anyone have this working properly?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    porschester
    Don't go into the dipstick. T into the rubber drain line coming out the front of the oil filter housing. I haven't had smoke in almost 20,000 miles and since I tapped the oil return I havent had to drain my can in 5,000 miles. It's working amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by bemmerray
    how did you connect to timing cover (catch can conv,)this is a great idea,i m ready to go ,except i want to make sure i understand the concept.any help would really be appreciated.thanks again
    I cut the plastic fitting off the tube running under the manifold and attached a braided line to it

Quote Originally Posted by CJ540 View Post
    I think I get what your saying but u think u could use ms paint and manipulate this image to show what u did under the intake to the ccv and rear intake cover?

CJ
    Last edited by bmwhiteman; 09-19-2011 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    For those of you don't want to drill holes or anything like that, you can actually use the X5 set up, X5's M62 use external OSV system and everything can be swapped into the E39, when you order parts just make sure you order for M62 X5, not N62.

My Cars
    98' 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post
    For those of you don't want to drill holes or anything like that, you can actually use the X5 set up, X5's M62 use external OSV system and everything can be swapped into the E39, when you order parts just make sure you order for M62 X5, not N62.

Hehehe

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    1989 325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Chigga View Post
    The only hole i drilled was in the side of my CCV. Took like 45 seconds. Your wheels look great btw

My Cars
    740SE, STi
    The only hole i drilled was in the side of my CCV. Took like 45 seconds. Your wheels look great btw
    I know its simple procedure, but there are always folks who don't like the ideas of drilling anything.

My Cars
    2000 540i 6spd
    This is a very interesting idea - has anyone successfully done this?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i 6-spd
    Don't go into the dipstick. T into the rubber drain line coming out the front of the oil filter housing. I haven't had smoke in almost 20,000 miles and since I tapped the oil return I havent had to drain my can in 5,000 miles. It's working amazing!
    That's a great idea. I'm getting the same 42DD OCC next week and having it setup to auto-drain is great! The concern I have is that by tapping into the oil filter housing drain line will allow for the crank case gases to loop back into the crank case? Any thoughts on that? Or do you have a valve there that you only open when the car is not running? Also, I wonder if that oil line is under pressure and the oil will enter the catch can from the drain line?
    Last edited by jvfff; 09-23-2011 at 01:03 PM.

My Cars
    1995 740i E38
    What's the number 15 oil pipe for? I guess it's a return line to the sump, but where does this oil that's returned come from?

Is this the excess oil from the pressure regulation of the oil pump (that is if the oil regulator isn't located in the oil pump but in the oil filter housing, if I'm guessing right). Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    That hose is also relatively high in the engine box to use as a drain just be careful and make sure your catch can is as high as possible.
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    2002 540i bmw

catch can conversion

do you plug osv,i dont understand the tube going into timing cover,is there a place to stick it in. im ready to go ,just want to understand where it goes.thanks

My Cars
    2000 540i 6spd
    If anyone has recommendations for 3/4" ID hose/line suitable for oil, I'm open to suggestions. -12 AN braided line is too small, and -16 AN is too large. Local shops saying they don't carry any 3/4" ID oil hose. Assuming I can get some hose, I plan on attempting this within the next couple weeks - have everything else on hand.
    Last edited by fletchermse; 10-05-2011 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    i need to do this on my e39. a lot of smoke and burned oil. neighbors are starting to complain to me about it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast