Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convertible top won't go down.

My Cars
    2005 BMC 330CI Convt

Convertible top won't go down.

Hey Everyone,

Any help would be welcomed. I have a 2005 330 CI convertible. I tried to put the top down the other day and when I pressed the button, no noise or movement was made. It would light up, but the top wouldn't go down.

Any idea what this could be? It worked fine in October, I haven't used it since then due to the colder weather.

Thanks so much!

Greg

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Blown fuse? Check fuse 6, 12, 35, 42, 46. Beyond that....maybe the motor seized? And also note that fuses usually blow for a reason.

Last edited by danewilson77; 02-22-2011 at 06:30 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2009 128i
    My only ideas are two very, very basic things, so basic I almost feel I should apologize for mentioning them.

The car has two automatic lock-outs, and the top will not move if either of these things is happening. 1) If the trunk is not fully shut, the top will not operate, and 2) you'll get nothing if the top storage compartment is not down or open all the way. I'd check that first. Open the trunk and grab that lever that 'closes' the top compartment (to give you more trunk room), then close it and re-open it to the completely down and locked position. Move the lever back to its parked position, and see if the top operates after you do that (and after you re-close the trunk, of course).
    Last edited by GunnerNell; 02-22-2011 at 07:08 PM.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Hi Gunner!

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i E93
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerNell View Post
    My only ideas are two very, very basic things, so basic I almost feel I should apologize for mentioning them.

The car has two automatic lock-outs, and the top will not move if either of these things is happening. 1) If the trunk is not fully shut, the top will not operate, and 2) you'll get nothing if the top storage compartment is not down or open all the way. I'd check that first. Open the trunk and grab that lever that 'closes' the top compartment (to give you more trunk room), then close it and re-open it to the completely down and locked position. Move the lever back to its parked position, and see if the top operates after you do that (and after you re-close the trunk, of course).
    Yes, same thing happened to me on my 05-330Ci. It worked after I 'folded' then 'unfolded' the storage compartment. I had to turn ignition off and then on again for the change to take effect.

My Cars
    2009 128i
    Hey Dane.

Chillin' in Fla., where all of my BMWs seem to come from.

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I

This is the best advice in this thread. Not sure why checking the fuses was recommended if you have a light coming on, as that would indicate it's getting power to the system.

99% chance this above post will solve your problem.
    IF MY CAPS OFFEND YOU, BLOCK ME.
    AND IF YOU NOTICE THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD CAP'ED...... IT'S DONE AUTOMATICALLY BY THE FORUM BECAUSE I TYPE IN ALL CAPS.BUT IT DOESN'T ALWAYS DO THIS, LIKE WHEN I QUOTE OTHER POSTS.AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT, REFER TO FIRST SENTENCE IN MY SIG.

My Cars
    2005 BMC 330CI Convt

Thanks everyone!

Hey Gunner, Thanks so much. The top works fine after bringing down the storage compartment!

My Cars
    2009 128i
    ^ Cool! I love when my advice actually helps someone. It's a fairly rare occurrence.

My Cars
    2002 330ci vert
    I had this happen with my '02 330ci today. I hopped on google and came to bimmerforums...I have no idea how that handle got pulled up but it did...and now it's fixed! Thanks everyone!

My Cars
    2009 128i
    Wow, a latent twofer!

My Cars
    2008 BMW 128iconvertible

3-Windows Go Down, But Not the Top

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all are enjoying your BMWs!

MY car top was working just fine. I went to dealership, so they could replace a battery wire that was recalled.
    Now when I try to put the top down and I press the button, 3 windows go down, a green light lites up, but the top does not go down.

It's not the truck compartment because I've tried that.
    And I really have no other clues.

I'd appreciate all and any help.

GunnerNell, maybe the third time is the charm.

Enjoy your day!

THanks,
    CLaudia

Wow, a latent twofer!

My Cars
    02 330ci
    I everyone, I have an 03 330ci that the top will not move. It's in the open position and I hope it doesn't rain soon! The light for it to close is "blinking red" and my trunk will not open. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My Cars
    84 728i,325Ci, 77 R100RS
    It's possible one of your sensors has broken its little plastic loop and the top doesn't know where it it. Google 54348267936 and see the picture. You have to replace the sensor if it's loop is broken (or repair it with a wire loop) and then manually cycle the top through. Only then will it go back to full auto.

As above, make sure the luggage compartment is sorted. Oddly, the trunk and top are linked. When the top is sorted, the trunk will work.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Yeah, I'd love to have a convertible, but I'm going to have to limit my choices to cars with a MANUAL top that doesn't rely on faulty wiring, switches, fuses, gizmos, etc.

If that means I have to go with an older car, so be it. These electric contraptions are just frikking stupid. I saw a guy the other day with a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky (not sure which) and it was apparent his top was stuck down, and the clouds were turning black.

No thanks!

My Cars
    2010 335i Convertible

PERFECT! I've been looking on the 'net for days for the solution. Thank you! Mine was the top storage compartment. I just pulled it out and back in.... problem solved!

My Cars
    BMW 330 CI CABRIOLET

You r a gem

Quote Originally Posted by daffsmum View Post
    PERFECT! I've been looking on the 'net for days for the solution. Thank you! Mine was the top storage compartment. I just pulled it out and back in.... problem solved!
    Thanks buddy ! You are a gem ..
    Laroma

Hi i just bought a 2001 330ci the top acts up and you have to keep messing with the switch and turn the car off and on to make it go down and up. Could it be the Sensor for main pillar or any other suggestions? I checked the thing in the truck too
    Last edited by emmy; 03-14-2016 at 09:45 AM.

hi how do you manually do the top?

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by emmy View Post
    Hi i just bought a 2001 330ci the top acts up and you have to keep messing with the switch and turn the car off and on to make it go down and up. Could it be the Sensor for main pillar or any other suggestions? I checked the thing in the truck too
    there could be a fault at the switch in the trunk that senses the position of the storage compartment

Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    there could be a fault at the switch in the trunk that senses the position of the storage compartment

do you have a diagram or picture of where that is in the trunk

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330CI Conv.
    All, I have a 2006 330ci and am also having troubles with my top. It went dead a couple of months ago and I've been putzing with it here and there. To start, the top was up with a red flashing light at the switch. I did the manual top down procedure to realize that the Convertible Top Position Sensor had broken(the plastic piece). I replaced the sensor, manually put the top down and no more red light. Now, with the top down, I pushed the button, the cover lift, the top comes out, the back of the top lifts and the top cover stays up somewhat pulsing and will not go down. The only way to get it to go down is to turn off the car and then as the pressure releases the top gradually steps down to closed position but not locked. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by hedge133; 09-13-2017 at 05:40 PM.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci Convertible
    I have an ‘02 330Ci convertible. The main pillar top position sensor broke. I can replace it but I’m not sure in what position it should be installed. I was hoping someone could snap a quick pic of one that is already installed and post it on here. Also, once it’s installed how do you reset the top so all the motors are synched? Put it up manually and start there, or put it down and start there? Any help you can give is truly appreciated.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325 ci
    Thanks for the info!! Top was not going down and it was the top storage compartment. I had put extra items in the trunk.

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

BTW...the light next to or above the switch should have been blinking...

Quote Originally Posted by gmm511 View Post
    Hey Gunner, Thanks so much. The top works fine after bringing down the storage compartment!
    ON my 03 M3 cabrio it will blink if something is stopping it from working, either the storage tray is up or the trunk is cracked/open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast