My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 3.0

service engine light

any info will help..just bought a 2002 bmw x5, one owner 70k, clean carfax..i really hate to keep taking it back to dealership for issues but so far..the service engine light soon came on, stayed on for 3 days then went off..when i filled it up w gas i left the car running, told that was why light came on..so far, that seems to have taken care of itself..the other day i was driving and it said trans fail safe something?? i checked the manual, followed the steps and the light went off..?? now the brake light is on, im assuming it needs brake fluid, my husband is going to check tonite, this morning i got in, we had some snow, the windshiled wipers, just came up less then halfway and stopped, and will not move..the back wiper is fine..let me add, the car really does run and drive fantastic!!! but does this sound like too much for a car i bought 2 1/2 weeks ago???

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by bjem6969 View Post
    any info will help..just bought a 2002 bmw x5, one owner 70k, clean carfax..i really hate to keep taking it back to dealership for issues but so far..the service engine light soon came on, stayed on for 3 days then went off..when i filled it up w gas i left the car running, told that was why light came on..so far, that seems to have taken care of itself..the other day i was driving and it said trans fail safe something?? i checked the manual, followed the steps and the light went off..?? now the brake light is on, im assuming it needs brake fluid, my husband is going to check tonite, this morning i got in, we had some snow, the windshiled wipers, just came up less then halfway and stopped, and will not move..the back wiper is fine..let me add, the car really does run and drive fantastic!!! but does this sound like too much for a car i bought 2 1/2 weeks ago???

Think I would be bringing that back to the place I bought it. Wipers are not a common problem (unless your wiping several inches off instead of clearing it first).
    Trans failsafe is common and can be caused by several things. Anything from a bad wheel speed sensor to a junk trans, trans being the usual culprit. A good indy will have the diagnostic equipment to read any tranny codes. CEL could very likely be related to the trans problem.
    Is it a 3.0 liter 6cyl or a 4.4 v8?

My Cars
    2002 bmw x5 3.0
    its a 3.0..my husband fixed the wipers today, all the bolts were loose, working perfectly now..but then this morning, the door was frozen solid, so i got in the other door started it, waited a while, door opened, but then would not shut, my husband said the mechanism was frozen solid..it finally shut..im not sure what to do, i love the truck seems to run great, just seems like alot has been happening, even if its little things, for a car ive had for 2 weeks..

im going to call dealer monday and tell them about the tranny thing, its under warranty for 2yrs, better to get it done now, if i wait im screwed, all the lights have gone out and everything seems fine now, but im having a feeling they may be back on at some point..

IF the transmission was crapping out, i would feel that no?? seems to be running perfectly, does it make a difference that it has that auto manual feature..??
    Last edited by bjem6969; 01-21-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost