Thread: FD tire "attachment device" rule

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima

FD tire "attachment device" rule

Figured we could use some lively discussion here.

For anyone who doesn't know. Our resident FD pro drifter was DQed suddenly for using a "chemical sealant" to keep his tires from debeading.

The rule:
    WHEELS Beadlocks, wheel screws and any additional form of attachment device between wheel and tire is prohibited.
    Normally, I call BS about "I didn't know, it was a gray area". But a chemical isn't really a "device". The rule isn't very specific. Plus I think they should have warned him, made him change tires to something that wasn't using it, and take away a 5 min or something to make up for it.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    don't they normally use soap to help tires mount at most tire shops? sounds like that would fall under the category too.
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMX6 View Post
    don't they normally use soap to help tires mount at most tire shops? sounds like that would fall under the category too.
    The Soap is just to get the tire onto the wheel, it doesn't provide any other assistance once its dry. Im assuming Chelsea used bead sealer which sounds pretty normal to me, either way, a warning would have been nice. Its not like he is the resident FD bad boy breaking rules constantly. If his name was Forsberg, or Whiddett, or Gittin, they wouldn't even have though twice about this issue. The popularity contest BS is getting old.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Most tire places I talked to don't use lube unless they absolutely have to. I did tires with achilles and they stopped using lube like 2 years ago IIRC. The heat at LB last year, we had tires spinning on the rim. You'd take the tires off and see the melted rubber on the sealing surface. So it's not just the low pressures debeading, it's the tires literally spinning on the rim.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 323
    seems like a nit picky rule considering that FD has no power limits for their cars
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    My question is, If fd is all about "the show" as they put it, and they have 1000hp cars trying to get as much grip as possible, to make as much smoke and speed as possible to impress new and existing fans, then why do they care about what holds the tire on? And why do they continue using tracks that are garbage such as osw? If you watch where Jeff Jones' tire debeaded, it was right on that giant jump in the transition. Thats bs if you ask me. All the drivers should just start running 35 psi in their tires and pussy footing around the track just to prove a point. Look at Denofas run last year at long beach where he basically qualified with a blown motor by bumping up the tire pressure. No smoke, not as much noise, not very exciting. It's a stupid rule altogether if you ask me...

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Yeah, it seems like a ridiculous rule to disallow anything to keep the tire on. Seems like a major safety concern.

My Cars
    98 323
    i wonder if knurling the bead seat would help. technically it's not a device, but then again neither is bead sealer

M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    then why do they care about what holds the tire on?
    I think the point of the cars in most respects is to sell consumer items. Beadlocks (while commercially available) makes drifting not look as accessible to the regular people. All of those cars LOOK like cars you'd normally see on the street. That's why the rules don't allow you to mod pickup points and cut back beyond chassis mounting points.

Although, with that line of thinking, adhesive sprays to keep your tires on should be allowed.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Sucks Denofa has to run such low pressures to keep competitive on the GT radials. Everyone is running low pressures but his looks a little extreme. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    A lot more people then just Chelsea debeaded tires that day though, and they were on different brands of tires.

Protomor, if that was the case then mad mikes beadlock looking rotaforms should have been disallowed aswell..

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    I think it's BS, a sealant isn't a device, especially when the rule only talks about mechanical devices.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Protomor, if that was the case then mad mikes beadlock looking rotaforms should have been disallowed aswell..
    How?

My Cars
    98 323

boy oh boy, those could just be aesthetic but damn do they look like beadlockers
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    How?
    "I think the point of the cars in most respects is to sell consumer items. Beadlocks (while commercially available) makes drifting not look as accessible to the regular people. All of those cars LOOK like cars you'd normally see on the street."

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Bead locks rims are like fashion. eh. doesn't count to me.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post

boy oh boy, those could just be aesthetic but damn do they look like beadlockers
    They're fake, he calls them "beadlOOks"