Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New windshield washer pump not working

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    General description of washer pump circuit:

Power is supplied from F44 in accy, run, and start. Power is applied directly to the washer pump on the violet/white wire. Ground to the pump is on the brown/violet wire and grounds through the WWM.

1. Check for 12V on the violet/white wire in accy, run, and start. If no power, then you have a power supply problem. Check fuse and wiring for faults.
    2. Jump the pump connector brown/violet wire side to chassis ground. If the pump does not activate you have a bad pump or connection at the pump.
    3. Pull the x285 connector from the WWM and jump pin 10 (still brown/violet wire) to chassis ground. If the pump does not activate, you have a bad wire or connection between the pump and the WWM.
    4. Reconnect x285 and jump pin 11 (a different brown/violet wire) to chassis ground. This simulates using the washer switch. If the pump now activates, you have a bad washer switch.
    5. If the pump did not activate on step 4, verify all the grounds for the WWM. Disconnect x285 again. Do a continuity test between chassis ground and each of the x285 pins 7 & 15. Check for 12V on pins 2, 8, & 14. If all these check out, you have a bad WWM.

Connector x285 is a blue 15 pin connector and can be located with the WWM behind the glovebox. Looking at the connector face with the 8 pins on top, pins are numbered

Code:
    8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1
     15 14 13 12 11 10  9
    Ok, pulled the glove box out and went through Richard's list above. Got to step 4 and everything works fine, so looks like I have a bad washer switch. Not something I really want to tackle so its going in to my local BMW mech - am lucky enough to have a BMW trained independent guy locally so its not dealer prices!

Thanks again for the fault finding process Richard
    1995 E36 328i Convertible
    White with dark blue top and grey leather interior. 18" E90 M3 Wheels, Alpine iDA-x305, stealth 8" sub in ski pass, upgraded speakers. Otherwise all factory.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i
    i've checked 1 and 2 and they passed.

for 3, 4 and 5 i'm supposed to test the windshield washer relay module located behind the glove box right?

My Cars
    E36 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToSlo
    i've checked 1 and 2 and they passed.

for 3, 4 and 5 i'm supposed to test the windshield washer relay module located behind the glove box right?
    Yes, for 3 with the module out. Step 4 plugged back in and jumpered in back of connector.
    1995 E36 328i Convertible
    White with dark blue top and grey leather interior. 18" E90 M3 Wheels, Alpine iDA-x305, stealth 8" sub in ski pass, upgraded speakers. Otherwise all factory.

My Cars
    2004 E60 545 V8 1994 E36
    I have exactly the same problem I am thinking it is an earth problem as when I put a wire in one of a the holes on the water pump and ground it everything works fine without pulling the lever on the steering column

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12