Thread: Key-in-ignition chime and locking problem

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7

Key-in-ignition chime and locking problem

Today my key-in-ignition chime started to stay on when the drivers door is open even if the key is out of the ignition. Also, when this happens (it intermittent) the doors won't lock or unlock with the remote. You have to put. The key in and turn.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any ideas?

Thanks

matte black grills | 35% tint | lip spoiler | vanos replaced | transmission software upgrade | sharpie mod | dr. colorchip | di-noc trim
    control arms & bushings replaced | pdc diy | clown nose, blink & chirp activated | red tails | pink whale mod | chrome/leather shift knob | everything hardwired

My Cars
    2000 323i
    My locks sometimes dont work with the fob, or when I try to use the button inside the car, or unlock doors manually. It is weird that I have to have people crawl through my windows to get in the car sometimes.

I know there is a lock control module that can fail (pricey to replace.) The best thing in that situation would be to go to a Dealership/Reputable shop, and have them read body codes.
    "If you cant stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7
    bump

matte black grills | 35% tint | lip spoiler | vanos replaced | transmission software upgrade | sharpie mod | dr. colorchip | di-noc trim
    control arms & bushings replaced | pdc diy | clown nose, blink & chirp activated | red tails | pink whale mod | chrome/leather shift knob | everything hardwired

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I would try...as a first step...re-initializing the key.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7
    Thanks dane - I had initially ruled that out, as the chime problem started at the same time and the problem is sporadic in that the fob still works sometimes. I'll give it a try tonight though and report back!

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Yeah....just thought I would mention to get others creative juices flowing.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7
    I appreciate it

I think I'm going to see if INPA has anything to say tonight when I try the key thing. I'll probably just get confused with all the german though...

No luck - I turned the door-open chime off in NCS for my own sanity, but it still thinks that some door is open (even though it doesn't show up on the dash). I'm assuming this probably means it's the hood?

I couldn't figure anything out in INPA though. If anyone would know what to do in there to get me anything useful, that'd be awesome...

Also, forgot to mention this:

1) the car now decided that the doors should lock at like 5 mph or whatever.

2) this happened very soon after tried a new radio shack buzzer for the lock/unlock chirp. Could it have something to do with that? It was a few hours- not immediately.
    Last edited by ryankokesh; 02-15-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '03 325xi, '04 ZHP, CX-7
    SOLUTION:
    Apparently I was mistaken about this being intermittent. I could have sworn that it was though...

Turns out there's a tsb out about this that states fuse 67 (7.5 A) should be replaced with a 10 amp'er. Pulled fuse 67 five mins ago and sure enough it was blown. Popped in a 10 amp and was good to go! (I did have to re-pair my key, but that may have been because I unsuccessfully tried the pairing process last night)

Sources Cited: Post Number 5 on this thread

Thanks for everyone's help
    Last edited by ryankokesh; 02-17-2011 at 12:02 AM.

My Cars
    94 e36
    Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    SOLUTION:
    Apparently I was mistaken about this being intermittent. I could have sworn that it was though...

Turns out there's a tsb out about this that states fuse 67 (7.5 A) should be replaced with a 10 amp'er. Pulled fuse 67 five mins ago and sure enough it was blown. Popped in a 10 amp and was good to go! (I did have to re-pair my key, but that may have been because I unsuccessfully tried the pairing process last night)

Sources Cited: Post Number 5 on this thread

Thanks for everyone's help

This worked for you? Please let this be the solution this problem has driven me crazy! I've thought about a bigger fuse but didn't want bigger problems. What year is your car? Ill try this on my 00 328i today hopefully it works

My Cars
    2006 E46 325
    I joined the forum just to say replacing the fuse solved my problem too.
    The key in ignition alarm would chime, couldn't lock the doors with the key remote, and had trouble starting the engine.
    The mechanic was stumped.
    Told me I needed to replace the fuel pump (which is sealed in the gas tank) - an $8000 repair.
    Checked fuse 67 and it was blown.
    Replaced it, and it runs good as new.
    Thanks!