Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You didn't mention an issue or problem...so can't tell "why" you're looking for the dome (which contains the air supply for the e53, e39, & e65/e66) and what you'd do if you found it.

Never owning an e70...I don't know where it's located on the e70...but by the looks of the diagram for the rear SLS system...the compressor (air supply device) appears to be forward of the rear air spring. Where you able to find the air shocks?

So...just out of curiosity...I thought I do a bit more searching in case one day I moved up into an e70 X5....I'm glad I did. I found a video put up on YouTube by Arnott (they sell great replacement air springs and other components for BMWs with the pneumatic suspensions)...and based on the video...I think I'd skip over an e70 with SLS just because the compressor isn't in a easy to get to location.

Check out the video if you want to find the compressor...it appears to be accessed from underneath the 2007-2013 e70. If you need replacement parts for your SLS...you may want to check Arnott's website for price check: https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_BMW_yid21.html

Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-09-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by burgess603 View Post
    ...I have a 2007 X5 ... I removed the seat looking for the dome in the back but it's no where to be found. Can someone tell me where it is for this year model?...
    Thanks in advance.
    Did you get a chance to watch the video in my post above that shows how to access the air supply/compressor in an e70 X5?
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2003 BMW x5 4.4i
    where is the part located at ?????

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5
    My wife has a 2011 x5 e70. The rear end has sunk and I cannot hear an air compressor working. I would like to check the fuse but have no idea which fuse controls the air pump. the owners manual does not give a diagram of the fuses. I have looked all over the internet and have not found an answer yet. Can any one answer this question.

My Cars
    E53, E38, E34, E39T
    I strongly suggest setting up a laptop with DIS and INPA if one owns these X5s. Save you boatload of time and cash. I had same issue, compressor went bad, then a bag went bad. Had to re calibrate the ride height in DIS.

Some Places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back......

My Cars
    2007 X5 4.8 Sport
    (2007 BMW X5 4.8i)

Guys,

Thanks for your input and documenting what you went through in your experiences with the air suspension system, it was a tremendous help to me and sure it will assist many others.

My air suspension has been leaking off intermittently for some time, this week it quit completely. Below is what I did after reading through the threads above.
    1. Suspected the Air Control Solenoid to have failed.
    a. Removed the protective panels to get to the compressor and air system solenoid.
    b. Removed the red air line from the solenoid to apply pressure (shop compressor) to the rear air bags to test for leaks. (Red - All Good)
    c. Removed blue air line, repeated with apply pressure from my shop compressor, no leaks. (Blue - All Good)
    2. Removed the Air Compressor Assembly from the vehicle.
    a. Removed the Air Suspension Solenoid, took pictures to assure of orientation of ports for reassembly.
    b. Disassembled solenoid and inspected components, O-rings and casings, O-rings good, no cracks in the casings.
    c. Lubricated all O-rings with an O-ring grease (any auto supply store).
    d. Reassembled solenoid, re-installed on compressor frame.
    3. Went onto Ebay and purchased a "New" OEM - AMK Compressor ($320.00) - Came with a control relay for the fuse panel (under glove box)
    a. Replaced compressor onto frame.
    b. Re-installed compressor assembly.
    4. Set the vehicle back on the ground (removed jack stands)
    a. Opened driver door with key in my hand, system energized and vehicle leveled itself.
    b. Jacked vehicle back up and re-installed all protective panels.
    5. Removed panels to access fuse panel, replaced relay (Warranty Condition Requirement)
    a. Saved the relay that was replaced for future use if needed.

This morning the vehicle was sitting level, it appears all is well.

- - - Updated - - -

[IMG]C:\Users\Leon\Documents\Leon\Cars\BMW X5 - 2007[/IMG]

My Cars
    545i X5 4.4
    UPDATE:

I have had this inactive light on for over two years, never has suspension sagged, pump works as I had taken fuses out for over a week and still never sagged, so I have to assume bags are not leaking. I don't hear pump coming on since the bags are not leaking, guess I am lucky in that regard given mileage or 180K, so having looked for answer for over two years, none seem to be available on how one turns off message. Tried everything, nothing turns message off to date, any ideas yet?

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by FREE100KSECRET View Post
    UPDATE:

I have had this inactive light on for over two years, never has suspension sagged, pump works as I had taken fuses out for over a week and still never sagged, so I have to assume bags are not leaking. I don't hear pump coming on since the bags are not leaking, guess I am lucky in that regard given mileage or 180K, so having looked for answer for over two years, none seem to be available on how one turns off message. Tried everything, nothing turns message off to date, any ideas yet?
    try replacing your battery!

My Cars
    X5 E53
    Hi All. New to the forum and I have the self leveling susp inactive light on the dash. I have an 01 X5 4.4 with rear air bags. Truck started lowering a couple weeks ago on back right side every time I exited it. Would pump up when unlocking or opening the door. All of a sudden last week it lowered and would not raise to normal level. I've had the truck for several years and this happened before and found it was the control module which was lodged in water. Replaced it and all was good. Thought same would be this time but not the case. I have replaced the two airbags, compressor, module and the ride height regulating arms connected to the ride height sensors(one was broken!). Checked all fuses and car still sitting low. Battery is very new, not even a year old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is it as simple as a reset? Every time the pump comes on I can here what sounds like air possibly coming out of one of the bags I just replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    545i X5 4.4
    I replaced battery, not the issue, and now several months later I have still yet to find someone with answer to the inactive susp. warning. Pulled fuses, deflated bags and they re-inflated fine. Vehicle has never sagged, but the same inactive warning is there? What does it mean when everything appears to be working. I checked for broken height sensor, they are OK, lubricated balls to make sure they weren't sticking or binding, just can't seem to find an answer.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 4.8is

Self Leveling SUSp inactive

Quote Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post
    I have an 04 and got the same error when it was sub zero temps here in IL. I waited till warmer weather then cleared the message and it's not come back yet. If you need a new bag they aren't that expensive.

I recently wen to lake tahoe and it got very cold. the next morning I headed to squaw to go ski, when I returned the light popped on. I had the front air struts replaced at BMW of Santa Barbara. The bags are filled with air so I know there is no leak. How do I reset the code to see if it will come back so I can narrow it down to a ride height sensor?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    Before you replaced fuse, was your air compressor not coming on? I replaced air pump and nothing is coming on, so I'm wondering if I am having the same problem.

My Cars
    2002 x5, 2m, x5m,slk230
    Here is my two cents..... get a ds708 or newer and run the height adjustment under chassis ... fixed my right up... also check those fuses back panel 30s

My Cars
    2005 E53

Suspension inactive and tire presse also inactive

Quote Originally Posted by shiftym View Post
    This thread is making me reconsider getting an X5...
    Hello,
    can someone tell me what the issue is here? I have often in parallel the tire pressure inactive after 30 minutes driving at a higher speed. When I reset the tire pressure i get it again after 30 minutes.

My Cars
    '05 X5 4.4i & '08 X3 3.0

Cool Double check the tire sizes

I believe all the E53 X5's do not have pressure sensors in the wheels, but instead they compute the tire rolling OD via number of rotations per some distance. If your light keeps coming on and the pressures are all exactly the same, double check the exact tire sizes. I once had a Discount Tire shop put new skins on a Honda I had and it took me a week to trip to the fact they put the wrong size on one corner by accident. If they are all exactly the same size then examine the anti-lock rotation sensors for gap and/or bad rust on the gear wheel which can cause miscounts thus miscalculations.

AceEngineer
    My better half's DD.....2005 X5 4.4i
    My DD.......................2008 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    mine says this allllllllllllll the time. it rides ok and is not on the bump stops, ive tried to reset it and it still gives me that stupid message the dam X5 drives perfect so what could be the issue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123