Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Cars
    2001 X5 4.4 Non Sport

Self-Level Suspension Inactive - Great Tip!!!

My 2001 X5 - 4.4 with 75K current miles gave me this message at about 65K miles.

At about 70K miles, the rear suspension dropped badly and it bounced around like crazy creating a real crappy and embarrassing ride. I was too broke to fix it until recently because THREE different shops in two states quoted me between $1,500 and $3,000 to repair it.

They all said the same thing: "It's either the air bags (pneumatic shocks), the air pump, rear sensors, or a combination of these items."

I finally came up with the cash and took it to a different shop to repair it. The guy says "The machine won't even read the suspension. I have to start with a part to get the diagnostic reading."

He got the $120 part, reset the code, and it was fixed plus $90 Labor. Total repair was $210.

I have the "fuse" on my desk right now and the part number is BMW 37.14-1 092 396 110 187. It's the size of a credit card and about 1" thick. Looks like a small black rectangular cube. 3" x 1" x 2.5" and attaches into something with 26 tiny pins (2 rows of 13)

Maybe I was lucky, maybe some will disagree, but my only point is that if you have a "Self-Level Inactive" indicator please test this piece before you buy into the majority opinions abroad and get taken to the cleaners.

It bounced like crazy for about 5,000 miles and did not rupture the pneumatic rear shocks which cost about $400 each.

I hope this helps someone out there.

My Cars
    11 E90M3, 02 M3, 05 X5
    Thanks for the tip!
    2002 M3
    2011 M3
    2016 X5 40e

My Cars
    2001 X5 4.4 Non Sport
    pictures of the part that revived my system - I don't know where it actually attaches, but I do know the entire system filled with air, the rear ended lifted up, and the pump began working again.

TG!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    S-197 GT 5 Spd
    I've received the message a few times but haven't encountered any problems yet. It only happens when it's cold outside and resets itself after the car is turned off.

I can only imagine how harsh the ride would be if it went out.

My Cars
    '07 AM, '06 X5 4.8is
    Mine went out just before my warranty expired. Hope they have it fixed for the next couple of years.

My Cars
    2002 X5 3.0

BMX X5 Self Levelling Suspension Inactive

Hi- I saw your post in February with a condition similar to mine's. I have an '02 X5 3.0 with front and rear self leveling suspension. I bought it (I'm the 2nd owner) about 7 mths ago and so far it's been enjoyable except for this problem. Had it serviced at the local BMW dealership back in December (their level 2 service). My local mechanic who services my other bimmer (a '99 323i) took a shot at scanning it with his OBD2, only to realize that the suspension bus needs another type of scanner which he doesn't have. He recommended sending me to the dealership but I am skeptical based on the many threads and posts I've seen from other owners with the same issue. I've checked the fuses in the side panel of the cargo area- they're good. Checked the air pump and hoses under the cargo area and everything seems clean and dry. The funny thing is that initially when the problem error appeared the vehicle's height was normal. It became lower over the period of 2 weeks, hence I am reluctant to believe that the air springs/struts are leaking or else they would not have kept the pressure that long! Based on the part # you listed as being the culprit in your case, I'm wondering whether it's worth a shot at trying. Do you remember where this module was located (glove box area, or side panels in the cargo area)? Also, when your message appeared on the instrument panel, did the green LED indicators on the rocker/ride height selector switch also go blank? I've noticed mine's are no longer lit up. Just trying to find some parallels here to make myself believe this isn't going to be a costly fix! Thanks!!

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring
    Thanks for the tip. Same thing came up on my e39 wagon. We have the same system for the rear suspension. I just ordered the part. I'm REALLY hoping that this works. I really dont want to have to buy a new air pump. holy expensive!

My Cars
    2001 bmw x5

Suspension inactive

I am having the same problem....i would like to buy that part....does anyone know where it is located on the car?

My Cars
    m3
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&fg=50&hl=28

you can see the area its in from this link.
    hope this helps...

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5
    did anybody manage to follow this advise and resolve the problem? Im having the same issue, and in my naivity changed both suspensions (at a very high cost!) and now having the same error showing again (this time coupled with the ABS and the 4x4 lighst showing up as well). im afarid that my problem then may also be as simnple as the fuse issue but with the Workshop not being able to diagnose properly and just having me to change parts..

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 3.0 D Sport
    I've encountered similar problems, my warning message popped up about 6 weeks ago after getting 2 rear tyres replaced, for no apparent reason, then cleared. About a week ago the back end jacked itself up to approx 9 inches, so I changed the 2 rear sensors(£165.00) and nothing happened, the car is still sitting high!

The compressor still engages on start up but doesn't self level, I was thinking about swapping the module mentioned on this post, my brother has the same car, but was reluctant in case the module would need synced with the onboard computer.

I've also tried a battery reset and removing the module.

I think the car might not realise where it is sitting as it may be well past it's parameters. And might require a reference point to rethink from, but I'm just guessing.

So I'm biting the bullet and having a diagnostic check done tomorrow at the Dealer, £80 plus tax, this is a whole lot of hassle, but it needs done, there are loads of posts on the net and many different results, hope mine is a relatively cheap fix!

My Cars
    E90, E83, E46..Prius lol
    I just changed a rear airbag and was surprised at how simple a job it is. I had one bag out and the other was good but I may need a new body control module so x5 is riding flat on rear still. If you need an air bag, go buy one (about $158 was lowest I found) and do it yourself. Took me about 45 minutes my first time.

If I jump the pump motor it still doesn't inflate even though pump runs. Does it have a solenoid or something in the circuit to let air into bag?

Also, did anyone ever figure out where this part goes from op?

My Cars
    02 BMW 745i
    New to this forum, I have a 02 Bmw 745I which I like very much, but my car is randomly indicating the following "Level Control System Malfunction, I checked the Self Leveling Fuse, its has two fuses, 30AMS fuse was blown out, so i replaced it with new one and the rear suspension was good again, but now after two weeks, i started the car this morning, i heard the rumbling sound coming the back of the car, its sound like rear suspension pump trying to pump, I got out of the car and rear suspension still looks down.I checked the fuse and its blew again? and i replaced it, started the car, same rumbling sound, and suspension still down, i talked to bmw tech and he said that its your rear suspension pump going bad, its need to be replace? I just wanna know has anyone else had the same problem on their BMW 745I?? Can i please get the instruction or diagram, how to replace it by myself, and does it need coded from the dealer after replacing with new pump or with used pump? any help would be really appreciate.

Hi I'd like to know how did you changed the air suspension pump, I'm thinking about replacing on my 02 BMW 745i, it went bad,rear suspension is down on both sides, it easy to do it yourself, any help would appericte it?thanks
    Last edited by onlydilbest; 04-02-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5

Question

Hi Dcodyssey,

Appreciate your write-up to help. I have the same issue, just wanted your input on the following:
    1) where does the diagnostic tester (or u call it a fuse) go in ? I know there is a socket left side down from the steering wheel.
    2) is resetting the code automatic or one has to know the code, if yes, then what is this code?
    Last edited by tareqt65; 08-24-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Spelling error

My Cars
    2005 x5, 1999 323i
    I got the same message on my Display while on vacation. I did notice that the suspension was more stiff than usual. After looking at the fuse box in the back of my 2005 X5 4.4 BMW I found the 30A fuse blown. I went ahead and replaced it. As soon as I turned on ignition the car started to raise slightly. It performed back to normal on the test drive.

Thanks to all the post, I was able to diagnosed and resolved in under 10 mins.

My Cars
    M20 - M30 - N62/S
    The first tip to give... don't drive around for 5k miles knowing something is wrong!!

That's what makes it expensive.. if you have a blown bag, the pump will continually run, causing it to eventually fail. When you have several items in a system that are bad, that's when replacing almost everything is necessary.

If you know something's wrong, get it checked out, get a manual and figure it out yourself, get a beater for times like these, or ride your bike!

Diagnosis:
    If/when you turn the car on after sitting and it raises (bags inflate), then you have a pneumatic problem- leak in a bag, line or valve body; or a sensor is bad.

If/when the car never finds the correct ride height, then you have an electrical problem- fuse, control unit, sensors, wiring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by onlydilbest View Post
    New to this forum, I have a 02 Bmw 745I which I like very much, but my car is randomly indicating the following "Level Control System Malfunction, I checked the Self Leveling Fuse, its has two fuses, 30AMS fuse was blown out, so i replaced it with new one and the rear suspension was good again, but now after two weeks, i started the car this morning, i heard the rumbling sound coming the back of the car, its sound like rear suspension pump trying to pump, I got out of the car and rear suspension still looks down.I checked the fuse and its blew again? and i replaced it, started the car, same rumbling sound, and suspension still down, i talked to bmw tech and he said that its your rear suspension pump going bad, its need to be replace? I just wanna know has anyone else had the same problem on their BMW 745I?? Can i please get the instruction or diagram, how to replace it by myself, and does it need coded from the dealer after replacing with new pump or with used pump? any help would be really appreciate.

Hi I'd like to know how did you changed the air suspension pump, I'm thinking about replacing on my 02 BMW 745i, it went bad,rear suspension is down on both sides, it easy to do it yourself, any help would appericte it?thanks
    You can replace it yourself, just start digging around/following air lines from bags forward. I've heard the dealer needs to program the correct ride height after replacement, but I've also heard this isn't the case. Try it out and let us know..
    Last edited by neockder; 09-25-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Replacing Control Unit for Self Leveling Suspension - NEED

I ordered and installed the Control Unit for Self Leveling Suspension ( part BMW 37.14-1 092 396 110 187 ). The compressor DOES engage with the old part, but DOES NOT engage with the new part. So either the new part is bad or the code needs to be reset in order to for the compressor to engage.

Does anyone know the code or does this require a trip to the dealership after all?

My Cars
    95 BMW 325i, 01 BMW X5
    Don't forget to check the $.25 fuse in the glovebox. My 01 X5 was riding very low. That fuse was problem.

My Cars
    BMW x5

air supply control system

Quote Originally Posted by dcodyssey740 View Post
    pictures of the part that revived my system - I don't know where it actually attaches, but I do know the entire system filled with air, the rear ended lifted up, and the pump began working again.

TG!
    found out the part name AS IM TRYING TO FIX MY X5 01 HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH SELF LEVELING LIGHT ON DRIVIN ME CRAZY

My Cars
    2000 Saturn SL1
    Customer was having the self levelling problem. Hooked up the solid scanner and saw a code for right level sensor. Looked at data stream while rocking vehicle and saw that the voltage for the right sensor was low and did not change with movement. Replaced right rear level sensor and fixed problem.

My Cars
    2000 Saturn SL1
    Solus scanner and vehicle was 2002 x5

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    most of the problems I see are the rear height sensors. The little arm attached to the control arm has two small ball joints on them so they can piviot, they corrode and lock up causing either the arm to break on the sensor or out of wack readings. the new arms are plastic with metal balls in them and they look cheaper but they dont corrode. I rarely see a problem with the module.or bags.

after replacement of components it is advised to perform the ride height adjustment using a dis tester or isid.
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    2001 BMW X5
    I did exactly what you said above and it worked. I bought the air control supply unit on Ebay for £40 and got it fitted. Did not even need reprogramming. Thanks a million, didn't get ripped off & saved my self a fortune.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwmjr779 View Post
    I did exactly what you said above and it worked. I bought the air control supply unit on Ebay for £40 and got it fitted. Did not even need reprogramming. Thanks a million, didn't get ripped off & saved my self a fortune.
    Where is that module located?

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    behind glove box
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast