Thread: Roof Rack removal -- Help

My Cars
    '01 530i, '04 Cooper S

Roof Rack removal -- Help

The '99 M Coupe I just bought came with a BMW roof rack -- the base support system. The load bars are attached to the roof with coded security bolts requiring a matching wrench. I want to remove the bars. The PO no longer has the required wrench. My local BMW dealer sent a photo of the bolt pattern to BMWNA requesting that they identify the correct wrench so I can order it, but (not surprisingly) has received no response.

The attached photo is my best attempt to illustrate the bolt pattern. Each bolt consists of 15 raised ridges in the following sequence -- 6 narrow, 2 wide, 6 narrow, 1 wide. If anyone has a matching wrench they'd be willing to sell, rent, or loan me, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    You're going to need the correct pattern wrench to get those out, otherwise, it'll be a scary process of drilling out the boltheads to remove the rack, and then the remaining stud.

Several years ago, someone brought me their Coupe to work on and it had the rack fitted. He didn't have the wrench with him in the car, but after a couple of days of bumping my head under the car (as a result of the rack not allowing the car to rise clear to the ceiling on my lift) I requested that he send me the wrench via Next Day air.

Believe me, if there'd been an easy way to remove the rack without the special tool, I would have.

Have you tried to contact Thule directly? Perhaps you'll have better luck getting the special socketwrench from them.

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    thule has parts section that you can buy wrenches. I grabbed the thule rack for my coupe (thanks to Jeremy's craigslist find) and after the payment, the guy realized he didn't have the allen key. He gave me the link to buy it and refunded $20 back

I ordered the key through their site. Just find the model # and check related accessories..

My Cars
    e91 6mt, ///M5 6mt
    I have one of those special bmw wrenches floating in one of my tool boxes... If I find it you can have it! Just pay for shipping ( no guarantee it works, but it might be better than a hack removal). It has a plastic T-handle and funky key'd wheel lock style socket that fits the head of that weird bolt.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I've got 2 BMW keyed roof rack wrenches. Neither are your pattern. However, some interesting notes.

One wrench came with the used rack that I bought. It has 15 raised ridges and 3 flats just like yours. The seller only had 3 bolts. So I went to the dealer and ordered a new set. The new wrench has 17 raised ridges and 3 flats. So somewhere along the line BMW changed their keying strategy.

Trying to keep apples with apples, I compared your pattern with the old wrench pattern and it appears that if you ground off 2 of the raised ridges you could get a pattern that would fit.

Would the loss of 2 out of 15 ridges still provide sufficient grip to dislodge the bolts? And could you even get a grinding bit in there to grind off the 2 ridges? I can honestly answer both questions with a firm 'Don't Know'.

But since you seem to be between a rock and a hard place, if you want to try; send me a PM and we can figure out how to get the wrench to you. I've got no use for it.

As a final note, replacement bolts with non-security heads are readily available at Home Depot.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    e91 6mt, ///M5 6mt
    or maybe try a thin wall multi point socket and grind where needed on the socket?

My Cars
    '01 530i, '04 Cooper S
    Thanks all for your suggestions. This is a BMW-branded unit -- I didn't realize it was made by Thule, but that makes sense. I shot them an inquiry; we'll see what they say. Boncovi, there's no model # anywhere on the unit, so I browsed the spare parts area on the Thule site and couldn't find anything that looks like this system. Does the link you were provided go directly to the right location on their site? Could you send it to me? Sennasixty8, kind of you to offer me your wrench -- I'd be happy to pay for shipping. Even if it's not the right code, maybe it would work after some surgery. I'll PM you so we can make arrangements. David, if none of this works, I'll PM you about trying your suggestions.

Again, thanks everybody.

Pete

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I bet this sucker will get it.. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00947078000P

only $9.99 too

Probably the 3/8 or 1/2 size would get it.

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    I was given this link:

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...iew=SpareParts

Item D - Security Wrench.

My roof rack was Thule 753, so these are the accessories for the same model.

It lacks photos, so your best bet is knowing the part #

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    I purchased and installed my oem base rack system, and upon installation i realised that if i used the coded bolts wrench even if the wrench didnt fall into the correct slots and i applied enough force down on the bolt, it would turn the bolt. Of course it still depends on how tight the previous owner tightened the bolts, but those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 10nm which is not very much.

So if you cant get the correct coded wrench for your bolts you can still try with anyone elses and see if you could get them the turn.

You could also try using a pair of needle nose plyers and have at it, i think there's just enough space for you to fit needle nose plyers in to grab and turn.

Good luck.

My Cars
    '01 530i, '04 Cooper S
    tmaher -- Great idea. Actually I have one of the Gator Grips sockets, in the larger 3/8" drive size. Too big for this application. Unfortunately, that's all my local Sears (and Home Depot) carries in stock. If nothing else works, I may order one of the smaller Gators.

No Laces -- Thanks for the idea about force-fitting a non-compatible wrench. It may come to that. Already tried using needle nose. Not enough leverage or grip. All they did was slip -- couldn't budge the bolts.

boncovi -- That link no longer works on the Thule site. And searching for model 753 yields a number of results that aren't relevant. Thanks anyway.

Damn, this is harder than it should be.
    Last edited by pap; 02-12-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e91 6mt, ///M5 6mt
    Needle nose vise grips or grind a cheap socket

My Cars
    z3 2.3 z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post

boncovi -- That link no longer works on the Thule site. And searching for model 753 yields a number of results that aren't relevant. Thanks anyway.

Damn, this is harder than it should be.
    http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/...iew=SpareParts

Item D $2.00

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe/2001 330i
    gator socket will get it off.........also if you ever lose security wheel lock key.....it will remove those too!

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    You don't want the Thule wrench - the Thule 753 rack uses tamper resistant hex bolts and it is completely different from the bolt in the picture you posted.

I had the Thule 753 and the "security wrench" is just a hex key with a hole in the center and will not work with your bolt.

Last edited by arthurlo; 02-13-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 530i, '04 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFLBimmer View Post
    gator socket will get it off.........also if you ever lose security wheel lock key.....it will remove those too!
    It's too large. I need something with no more than 1/2" outer diameter. Went to Endeavor's website, and they don't seem to make anything small enough.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurlo View Post
    You don't want the Thule wrench - the Thule 753 rack uses tamper resistant hex bolts and it is completely different from the bolt in the picture you posted.

I had the Thule 753 and the "security wrench" is just a hex key with a hole in the center and will not work with your bolt.

Yeah, found that out yesterday. This does not seem to be made by Thule or Yakima. Someone on the E46 forum posted the realoem page (can't believe I didn't think of that) with a part #. I'm narrowing it down.
    Last edited by pap; 02-14-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW X5 3.0

Post How I removed the OEM roof rack...

I know this is an old thread but posting here to help others that might stumble across it like I did.

I bought an e53 X5 with a factory mounted ski rack and one of the top ski holders was broken. There was no wrench included etc. to remove the racks from the rails.

After searching around and finding that there might be 3 different types of wrenches, etc. I decided to just get the racks off of there however I could, especially considering they were less than really useful with the broken retainer on top.

The setup above in the pic is a little different than mine. Mine had the same / similar bolt head with a floating, silver metal, security ring around it, preventing access to anything but a very thin walled socket head.

The solution I used was aviator snips. If you don't have a pair, it's definitely worth having in your toolbag. I cut straight through the metal security ring that floats around the bolt head, cutting parallel to the bolt. The rings are a cheap kind of pot metal and not too tough. 3 of the 4 came off within a minute or two and one took about 10 minutes. I used some other pliers and tapped with a flat blade screwdriver and hammer to bend out the ring when needed to get it off the bolt head.

BE CAREFUL! You don't want to miss and gouge anything or potentially break a window.

You may scratch up the bmw lettering, etc. on the rack itself so if you are concerned about that this method is not for you. Once you get the security ring off, experiment with wedging either a 12mm or 1/2 socket on the end of the bolt at a bit of an angle. Try 6 point and 12 point sockets if you have them. Between the two, you should be able to get enough torque to loosen the bolts, none of mine were very tight. Vice grips would be the next option but obviously would chew up the bolt head.

I was able to get them off with minimal destruction. Hope this helps!

Separately, I did find this wrench that appears it would be close to what is needed, but I have no idea if it would work. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/6q0071737g/
    Last edited by bauerkraut; 06-23-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: fixed URL