Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me your symptoms of faulty engine mounts

My Cars
    1992 740I

Tell me your symptoms of faulty engine mounts

I don't see any oil leaks on my mounts but engine shakes left to right and when I give it gas it becomes steady right away.

I suspect it's the mounts and when gas is applied the force makes the block center out but never know. But wanted a second opinion.

Fuel pressure is fine, plugs are fine, no vacuum leaks.

My Cars
    '91 M5
    My shifter will move back and forward when braking hard - pretty sure the motion is a lot more than it should be.
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    1992 740I
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    My shifter will move back and forward when braking hard - pretty sure the motion is a lot more than it should be.
    I'm automatic so I can't judge by that

My Cars
    e39 540i/6
    My obvious symptom was my fan hitting my intake boot on a hard launch and ripping a hole in it. The more subtle symptom would be a clunk when coming off acceleration, being able to see a mark in my hood fabric stuff from the engine cover, and a slightly shaky car at idle.

My Cars
    2015 435i GC F36
    If you get engine vibrations you should change the mounts. The engine should really not move that much.
    DnB and Techno Mixes here

My Cars
    1992 740I
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleCleveland View Post
    My obvious symptom was my fan hitting my intake boot on a hard launch and ripping a hole in it. The more subtle symptom would be a clunk when coming off acceleration, being able to see a mark in my hood fabric stuff from the engine cover, and a slightly shaky car at idle.
    Did feeling of rough idle inside the car minimized as rpm rised in acceleration? Cheers.

My Cars
    e38 Msport, 2 e53 x5 4.6
    Take the car to Sams Club for tires. Watch those hacks pancake your car on their lifts. Doing so, your mounts if not relatively new will shift. Snapping your trans off its mounts and twisting both your motor and trans so your exhaust hanger scraps against your driveshaft.

So as you drive home, your car will make such horrid noises the most skill mechanical guru would drop a duce in their drawers.

That was my symptoms.

I can laugh about it now. 11am humor
    Last edited by GIANUCCI E30; 02-11-2011 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by m60b40 View Post
    Did feeling of rough idle inside the car minimized as rpm rised in acceleration? Cheers.
    I don't remember. I've also had a vacuum leak that has went unfixed for about 3 years now that gives the car a case of the shakes at idle. My motor mounts are currently in good condition and I still have a shake due to the leak.
    Last edited by KyleCleveland; 02-11-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification

My Cars
    1992 740I
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleCleveland View Post
    I don't remember. I've also had a vacuum leak that has went unfixed for about 3 years now that gives the car a case of the shakes at idle. My motor mounts are currently in good condition and I still have a shake due to the leak.
    How bad is that shaking? Does your shifter vibrate from that?

My Cars
    e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by m60b40 View Post
    How bad is that shaking? Does your shifter vibrate from that?
    I have a manual, it always has a bit of movement when in neutral. The shfter does not move at all once in gear. Tranny mounts were confirmed in excellent condition January 2010.

My Cars
    BMW E30 E36 E34 E39 E38
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEao4hfjWXg[/ame]

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    holy bad motor mount batman

My Cars
    e39 540i/6
    Wow. I wonder if mine ever got that bad. Mine was torn completely out.

My Cars
    e28is, e34's, 67 stang
    OH MY GOODNESS!!! that video is HORRIFYING! i have seen bad motor mounts on alot of car but never this bad!!!!!

My Cars
    e34 540i/6
    I have my headers hitting the power steering although you guys wouldn't get that because of LHD. God that video has sunk a boot into my ass to do something about it and fast!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    That video is a.w.f.u.l.

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    When I take my foot off the brake after a hard brake, I get a clunk under my butt. Is that a mount? If I pump them a certain way I can get a clunk every time. DS and CSB are year old and change and the DS drives perfectly. I think a mount has gone somewhere or a carrier is bad.

My Cars
    1995 525i 5spd
    I have a hard time taking off or shifting smooth because everything seems to clunk whenever the clutch is engaged or disengaged (new clutch/flywheel last spring). I have new csb, guibo and all mounts in my trunk, just haven't had time to get the car in to get them done yet.

My Cars
    E34 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Elekta View Post
    When I take my foot off the brake after a hard brake, I get a clunk under my butt. Is that a mount? If I pump them a certain way I can get a clunk every time. DS and CSB are year old and change and the DS drives perfectly. I think a mount has gone somewhere or a carrier is bad.
    That sounds more like subframe than motor mounts. Motor mounts will cluck with changes in engine load, not braking.

Revving the engine from idle should create very little if any lift in the motor. Increase the load by putting it in D if an auto, hold the brake and give it some light throttle. The engine should lift maybe an inch. Any more and the mounts need replacing.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Elekta View Post
    I don't want to sound rude, but are you overweight? Do you experience that same clunk when your weight shifts with a turn?

My Cars
    1993 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by M30Stui View Post
    I have my headers hitting the power steering although you guys wouldn't get that because of LHD. God that video has sunk a boot into my ass to do something about it and fast!
    Exactly what I had happen to me.

When tracking my car on right hand turns and acceleration my steering would lock up...very scary!

I was chasing a slipping belt/faulty PS pump for quite some time until I saw the steering u-joint.

At the end of one trackday it was so bad the motor moved and cut my top radiator hose/damaged my fan shroud. Quite an experience being 300km from home.

E34 540i 6speed, M60B44, 272/254 cams, JB Racing LW Flywheel, Link G4+ Extreme, Powerdyne BD10 supercharger, 3.15LSD, H&R + Bilstein, 3" exhaust, M5 swaybars, 17x8.5/9.5 ACS Type II

My Cars
    1992 740I
    Is side to side shaking could be caused by bad mounts too or only lifting of either side?

My Cars
    1990 535i
    69 parisiene I had back in the 70's ... I would accelerate just a tad too much, the engine would lift up, pull open the throttle all the way scream down the road like an uncontrollable banshee until the torque dropped low enough to allow the engine to drop back down and release the throttle.....

My Cars
    2003 325i
    When my motor mounts were bad, if I got on the throttle hard in first and then clutched in I would get a noticeable clunk.
    I can't promise the motor mounts fixed it though because I renovated my front end at the same time to do away with the shimmy. Could very well have been suspension-related.

My Cars
    e34 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Creaver View Post
    Exactly what I had happen to me.

When tracking my car on right hand turns and acceleration my steering would lock up...very scary!

I was chasing a slipping belt/faulty PS pump for quite some time until I saw the steering u-joint.

At the end of one trackday it was so bad the motor moved and cut my top radiator hose/damaged my fan shroud. Quite an experience being 300km from home.
    Thats sounds awful could have been worse i suppose i assume you didn't overheat

I knew what it was immediately because it started happening when i had the exhaust redone and the headers refurbished and de-burred. i also saw some of the heat coating scratched off the headers.Plus i had all belts and hoses replaced last september so i figured it wouldn't be that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast