Thread: 2011 528i wont start - brake lights rapid flashing

My Cars
    2011 BMW 528i

Question 2011 528i wont start - brake lights rapid flashing

Really hoping someone can help me out. About 5 hours ago I parked my 2011 528i in the garage as I usually do when I get home from work. I just went down to the garage and noticed that the brake lights are rapidly flashing. Sort of like quick on and off then pause, quick on and off then pause. There is also a clicking noise coming from the trunk area with sound in synch with flashing brake lights. I am certain it was not doing this when I first parked the car because I remained in the garage on a phone call until the garage light went out and everything went dark. I would have noticed if the brake lights were flashing.

At this point I don’t know what to do. I came back with the key hoping to start the engine. Pressed the start button and nothing happened. No interior lights come on when I open the car door. Actually the only illumination is on the hazard button but very faint. I decided to press the hazard button and the button illuminated and brake lights stopped flashing. This makes no sense at all. I turn it on and the lights stop flashing. All the while though I hear this clicking sound coming from the trunk or brake light area. The sound is in synch with the flashing even when not flashing.

The keyless remote won’t do anything either. All doors were unlocked when I got out of the car, I know this because I had to press the button to unlock all so I could get something from the trunk. Speaking of trunk, I can’t open trunk door either. I know it’s not locked but when I press the button (?) on the trunk door to open, nothing happens. It’s as though there is no power to the car except to those flashing brake lights.

My next thought was to disconnect the battery and then reconnect, hoping that would reset everything. The million dollar question is how can I get to the battery if I can’t open the trunk. It seems like an electrical malfunction and I’m really disappointed since the car is less than 4 months old!! I’m just glad this happened at home instead of work or somewhere else where I’d be stranded. Guess I won't be going to work in the morning, battery is sure to be dead by then!

Any ideas?
    Last edited by WDesiree; 02-12-2011 at 03:44 AM.

My Cars
    2011 F10 520d SE sp auto
    Use the emergency key inside the remote to open the trunk manually. However if you disconnect and reconnect the battery it may then need a dealer reset... I assume you've contacted the dealer or BMW Assist?

My Cars
    Bmw 528i
    The same thing has just happened to my 528i. Same vintage. How did you solve it please?