Thread: Low oil and coolant 1995 525i

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i

Low oil and coolant 1995 525i

Hi,
    I had a message two days ago about low coolant level, so I topped it up (about 1qt). Then yesterday I got low oil warning, so I topped it up (about 1/2 qt). Those two messages back to back scared me, so I went under the car to see what is going on. Here are some pics:

http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/a...12/e34%20leak/

I did not lift the car, so those picture are when I crawled under it from the front of the car.

Look like there are some leaks, because it was wet. But I don't know where to look for the oil leak source, because I don't know the oil path under the hood. As for the coolant leak, I can say that it is not from the 2 hoses going out of the radiator to the engine (front of it). I was no able to follow the 3rd hose (lower driver side) to its destination. Can you help me find the source of those leaks.

Otherwise the car drive good. and there is no other symptoms (I am a newbe, so maybe there is an elephant somewhere...)

Thanks,

P.S. I change a coolant hose (radiator to front engine) about 300mi ago and I did the long procedure to make sure there was not air in the coolant. My mechanics changed my head gasket about 1000mi ago. I had that car for 1300mi and it is 211XXXmi old.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    It looked almost like you have some atf hanging out on the bottom of that core support in addition to the coolant. That could be either from the power steering system (there's a cooling line in front of the ac condenser) or from the trans cooler that is integrated into the radiator, or from the connections to those items. I've seen radiator cores spring leaks, especially if they get hit with something. They're pretty fragile.

Oil leak would most likely be from the filter housing, rear main seal, front main seal, or valve cover gasket, or from somewhere on the timing cover.

Edit: of course with the close proximity of the two messages, make sure there is no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. That would indicate a head gasket problem.
    Last edited by strad; 02-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by strad View Post
    It looked almost like you have some atf hanging out on the bottom of that core support in addition to the coolant. That could be either from the power steering system (there's a cooling line in front of the ac condenser) or from the trans cooler that is integrated into the radiator, or from the connections to those items. I've seen radiator cores spring leaks, especially if they get hit with something. They're pretty fragile.

Oil leak would most likely be from the filter housing, rear main seal, front main seal, or valve cover gasket, or from somewhere on the timing cover.

Edit: of course with the close proximity of the two messages, make sure there is no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. That would indicate a head gasket problem.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the answer.

I don't see any coolant-oil mix in the coolant reservoir, nor on the oil stick.
    Should I look elsewhere as well for that mix?

Do I absolutely need to rise the car to check where the oil is coming from? Is there a simple test that I can do to figure that one out?

Best regards,

Hi,
    I dig up some more and took more photos. The good news is that the windshield fluid is not leaking. The bad news are
    1. Motor oil is leaking from below (don't know parts name, see photos)
    2. Transmission fluid is leaking also (look like it is from the reservoir, see photos)
    3. I still don't know where is the coolant is going (not in the motor oil). Level did not change that much, maybe due to temperature, but I lost amout the reservoir in a matter of 4 months-ish.

http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/a...12/e34%20leak/

As I said earlier I am new in car world and BMW as a consequences. What should I do? Are those look like easy fix - impossible fix for less than the price of the car? Any help-information is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Last edited by spacemen12; 02-08-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost