Thread: E36 Convert rear lights from non check-control to check-control DIY

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

E36 Convert rear lights from non check-control to check-control DIY

This DIY is to convert some convertible/coupe rear lights from non-check control to check control. (Also the process would suit saloon/touring).

The symtoms are that you replace your rear lights and get a Tail Light Fail warning even when the bulbs are OK. This is because on non CC lights, the 2-2-per-side tail lights share a single pin, and on CC they use a pin each.The CC module sees one bulb is not connected and throws a Check Control Tail Light Fail.

Here you can see the difference in the pinning between CC and non CC lights.

As well as the missing pin in the bottom corner, under the connector the two tail lights are connected, so they must be disconnected from each other and a new pin added.

First cut off the connector parts.

Next cut off the pins. I was using some scrap lamps that are beyond repair for a donor. The pins are pop-riveted from behind, hence the collars on the bases are made of a soft metal around the steel pin. You can steal a pin from the reverse lights if you don't have some lights to cannibalise.

Get your strongest cutters and cut and lever at the same time, levering to try to rip the steel pin from the metal rather than cut through it. Unless you can catch a bullet from mid air, cover with a towel as the pin will hit the ceiling and disappear.

Here you can see I managed to preserve the bottom of the pin to slot into the non CC lights.

Use strong cutters (not your favourite precision Lindstorms or you'll snap them. Ask me how I know) and cut the metal that connects the two Tail Lights. This will mean each tail light bulb are now driven by individual pins, making your light Check Control ready. Before cutting, make sure you are happy with the soldering, make sure your iron gets hot enough to put solder on the aluminium, and so on. Make sure enough metalcomes out to prevent accidentally connecting these two lights together when the connector goes back on.

Now to solder the new pin in. The metal will be oxidised, you could clean off the oxidisation with an etching acid, a solder flux or some sort of alcohol to make the solder take. Mine were actually fairly unoxidised and the solder took quite well. The black you can see in the solder is bad. You don't want it in your solder seams.

I had to widen the holes a little with my trusty hand drill.

I made a solder bath and tinned the base of the pin with solder. Using needle pilers I place the pin, made good the solder all the way round and waited patiently for it to cool. (It stores a lot of heat).

Next you'll want some really strong glue to glue on the connector, like this araldite 24hr resin. The lights plug in the car is pretty stiff, and you don't want to rip off the plug later on down the line. I needed to use the handdrill again to widen the hole in the black plastic to accommodate for the pin and its new solder.

You can't see it, but there is glue under the wings of the connector too.

I also replaced the seals on the lights and glued the seals with waterproof glue.

When refitting the lights with the new seals, do not use any tools, or you will snap the brittle old bolt standoffs. Instead, after positioning the lights so they are flush with the sides of the vehicle, lean firmly and progressively on the light from outside the car (don't crack the lens), compressing the seals, and tighten the bolt with your fingers. Otherwise you'll be taking it all apart again to glue the bolt standoffs again. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Joylove; 02-06-2011 at 02:57 PM.

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Wish I could see the pics for this.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    2x 84 318i, 02 M3, etc..
    thanks
    318i E30
    & other toys

My Cars
    95 E36 328i, 11 E82 135i
    I did a similar conversion for car. I considered removing the pins as you have done Joylove but knowing me I probably would have broken them!

Instead, I opted to switching the tracks over. Spent a bit of time drawing everything out and understanding the wiring, then proceeded one side at a time. Using a craft knife, I shaved away the plastic tabs holding them in and then carefully slid them off. Once off, then switched them onto the new lights. Then using some hot glue over the tab locations, secured the tracks. Repeated same for other side.

The trick I found was to remove enough of each plastic tab to get the track off but enough to provide a tight fit before you glue the new ones on. Also with that method, the plug integrity remains (whilst with a poor solder, the plug can easily break).

Still, cheers for the writeup! Quite frustrating when you buy a set of nice new lights, only find that they aren't compatible with your vehicle.

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by mumblyjoe View Post
    I did a similar conversion for car. I considered removing the pins as you have done Joylove but knowing me I probably would have broken them!

Instead, I opted to switching the tracks over. Spent a bit of time drawing everything out and understanding the wiring, then proceeded one side at a time. Using a craft knife, I shaved away the plastic tabs holding them in and then carefully slid them off. Once off, then switched them onto the new lights. Then using some hot glue over the tab locations, secured the tracks. Repeated same for other side.

The trick I found was to remove enough of each plastic tab to get the track off but enough to provide a tight fit before you glue the new ones on. Also with that method, the plug integrity remains (whilst with a poor solder, the plug can easily break).

Still, cheers for the writeup! Quite frustrating when you buy a set of nice new lights, only find that they aren't compatible with your vehicle.
    Good tips! I guess just the bottom two traces need to change over. How hard to slice is the melted plastic?

so that stops it from having the signal lights on while the light switch is on?

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

i changed my rear lights and ones i did that my signal lights now stay on and when i brake they dont come on. i tryed putting the origanl back on but the same thing.

My Cars
    98 323i coupe
    hi joylove im in a different situation i have a 323 coupe with out check control and a pair of m3 style rear lights that have check control, when i plugged them in they didnt work properly as you would expect i.e the o/s brake light didnt work and the n/s night lights didnt work although the bulbs illuminated when i turned the rear fogs on how would i remedy this situation? i have the wiring plugs from the donor cars loom with enough tails on them to attach them to the current loom could i get them working this way?

My Cars
    1993 BMW e36 318iS
    hello guys,

yesterday I bought red tail lamps, happy to have them finally, but I have the oposite problem as Joylove describes - the red ones are from check-control version and my ancient coupé is non-check control version yet.. do you have any idea how to make it working?

There are 8 pins on the red ones and 7 pins on the original ones just like on the first picture. Is it enough just to cut off that one pin or not? I am afraid it will be more difficult?!

Thanks for any help!
    Jan

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1993 BMW e36 318iS
    Hello,

OK, so it should be enough? I will try tomorrow and comment my success/failure later

Thanks, Jan

Hi everybody,

I have to admit it was very easy I just joined those two metal ends under the connector and everything works properly. Thank you for your help, Lovejoy, now the car looks 100 % better.
    Last edited by janeke36; 07-04-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 318IS
    Okay so time to revive this topic. I recently bought clear taillights. Only one side works and the otherside does not, check bulbs etc,etc. This pin configuration is different. On the stock tail light pin number 7 and 8 are not installed. On the aftermarket tail light only pin 3 is not installed. How the F do I get it working?
    with the aftermarket clear light its making fuse for check control blow and a couple other lights are not working such as the interior guage lighting.

P.S. As far as I know the car DOES have check control. 96/01 318is.
    Last edited by EurOnly; 06-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.

My Cars
    1992 325is
    When my car is off, but power is on only the right side of my cars lights work, like driving light angel eyes headlights and tai lights, but if my car is completely off and I push the lock button, the left side flashes!! And it was vice versa before I had my keyless entry installed, and when I start my car everything works just fine!!! I don't understand this, also my rear driver side tailight works every now and then when it's in a good mood and now my inside brake light on the driver side doesn't work when I push the brakes, but all the bulbs are fine!!! I need some help please!!!

My Cars
    93 325, 97 Z3,
    Fantastic write up

My Cars
    '98 M3 2/5
    "You can steal a pin from the reverse lights if you don't have some lights to cannibalise."

WHICH ​pins can be stolen?

My Cars
    1998 328 convertible

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39 540i
    If you have chrome you can install this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...alioapbifiaedg and it will fix the links so you can see the photos.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    This DIY is to convert some convertible/coupe rear lights from non-check control to check control. (Also the process would suit saloon/touring).

The symtoms are that you replace your rear lights and get a Tail Light Fail warning even when the bulbs are OK. This is because on non CC lights, the 2-2-per-side tail lights share a single pin, and on CC they use a pin each.The CC module sees one bulb is not connected and throws a Check Control Tail Light Fail.

Here you can see the difference in the pinning between CC and non CC lights.

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i Coupe
    Is it possible to upload those pics again ? That would be super helpful

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by e36Brazil View Post
    Is it possible to upload those pics again ? That would be super helpful
    No need.............

Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Quote the post you want to see and add ~original after .jpg so it becomes .jpg~original

Did one for you, see last post in that thread, rest are exercise for the reader (you)
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.