Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine light = fail NY State inspection?

My Cars
    E66 2008 750Li

Check Engine light = fail NY State inspection?

Just tried to get car inspected and the mechanic doing it took one look at my Check Engine light and said he wouldn't continue with the inspection (saving me the fee) because he was certain it wouldn't pass.

The light has been on and off. Two weeks ago I had the car at my out-of-state indy shop to replace my cooling system and he checked the codes and said there were very occasional misfire codes, only about 150 occurrences rather than the thousands he said there would be if something were seriously wrong. He said it wasn't anything to worry about. The light was off when I picked the car up but it's back on now and won't pass inspection (so I'm told).

We know on these cars that sometimes a loose gas cap can cause the Check Engine light so does anyone know, is it possible to pass NY inspection with the Check Engine light on? Is it possible the CEL is signaling something less serious that wouldn't cause an inspection fail when they hook up the OBD reader?
    Last edited by cpv204; 02-05-2011 at 09:41 AM.

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    Can't pass inspection in RI with the light on either. It's also illegal in RI to go to a place like autozone and have them turn the light off on your way to bring your car to be inspected.
    You could stop across the street and pull the battery to clear it yourself before the inspection, but if there is something wrong, it may not pass emmisions anyway. light off or not. I'd say solve the problem first.

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Even if you clear the codes at autozone it still wont pass. You need a certain amount of drive cycles to fully clear codes.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i M-Sport
    Precisely, tried resetting my Check Engine light right before the inspection in my old Audi A4. The mechanic there said that the computer (ECU) is not responding and told me to drive about 70 miles. After 70 miles, the Check Engine light came back on and I had to actually fix it.

My Cars
    00 740il silver
    When you clear the CEL, you will still have to set the OBD2 readiness code in order to pass NYSI inspection, This is so you cant just clear the light and get passed on inspection. If there is an emission problem the light will come back on after you drive it around under 60mph under 3000rpm for 20 minutes, let it sit overnight then start cold, let the secondary air come on, let sit idle for 10 minutes, this should usually set 3-4 of the 5 readiness codes, which should pass nysi. If the light comes back on then you will have to fix it.

My Cars
    97-740i 06K1200s
    CEL = no sticker in NYS. Fuzhead is exactly right. I thought I struck gold when I went to get car inspected and cleared CEL in parking lot of inspection station. Wrong...... Fix problem properly. These inspections are a PITA but it's our air and by "cheating" the system we are only digging our own graves. Do the right thing and fix it properly.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by cpv204 View Post
    Just tried to get car inspected and the mechanic doing it took one look at my Check Engine light and said he wouldn't continue with the inspection (saving me the fee) because he was certain it wouldn't pass.

The light has been on and off. Two weeks ago I had the car at my out-of-state indy shop to replace my cooling system and he checked the codes and said there were very occasional misfire codes, only about 150 occurrences rather than the thousands he said there would be if something were seriously wrong. He said it wasn't anything to worry about. The light was off when I picked the car up but it's back on now and won't pass inspection (so I'm told).

We know on these cars that sometimes a loose gas cap can cause the Check Engine light so does anyone know, is it possible to pass NY inspection with the Check Engine light on? Is it possible the CEL is signaling something less serious that wouldn't cause an inspection fail when they hook up the OBD reader?
    send me a PM I have a hook up for you
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    BMW 750
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    Can you help me I have the same problem check engine light on as well

My Cars
    2001 740il, 05 e55 amg
    Emissions inspections/ requirements are nothing more then another tax and revenue source for the states. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    2001 740IL

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Most states will not pass a car with the CEL light on or recent stored codes...that is the ones that hook up to the computer anyway. Mine does a visual and fills out the paper work for the sticker. Thank God! Dallas is another story - they hook up for the diagnostic checks.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasA6 View Post
    Emissions inspections/ requirements are nothing more then another tax and revenue source for the states. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Eh. A lot of people don't maintain their cars, would be polluting like crazy if it weren't for inspections.

A long while back the VP of environmental stuff for GM said it would be cheaper and more effective for the government to simply buy every car older than 15 years for $10K and destroy them than to increase new car emission standards again. Because most people just don't care if their car is running right, only that it gets them where they want to go. Once they hit 100K miles, pollution really does start to become a problem if proper maintenance isn't done.
    2000 740i Sport Titanium Silver/Black

My Cars
    740i 2001
    Go to the shops in heights .. 80 bucks will get your car inspected pookie

My Cars
    BMW
    Do you still have a "friend"?

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydough View Post
    Do you still have a "friend"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Looppy20 View Post
    Can you help me I have the same problem check engine light on as well
    I go to this shop in the the bronx 80 beans will get you to pass a inspection, that what I paid
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    BMW
    I go to this shop in the the bronx 80 beans will get you to pass a inspection, that what I paid
    Can you tell me which shop does this for you? I have 80 beans, but I'm sure there are plenty of stations in the Bronx. I'm not sure why my PM's don't work, but you can email me at johnnydough (at) hotmail Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Johnnydough; 03-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    Can you tell me which shop does this for you? I have 80 beans, but I'm sure there are plenty of stations in the Bronx. I'm not sure why my PM's don't work, but you can email me at johnnydough (at) hotmail Thank you!!!
    You need ten posts to enable PM. Also, are you trying to get the name so you can report them?

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
    You need ten posts to enable PM. Also, are you trying to get the name so you can report them?
    Hell no! I need their help! I can't dump money into a car that doesn't really need it just to get some stupid sticker so NYC can take more of my money.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I need to make some posts to enable PMs

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    Hell no! I need their help! I can't dump money into a car that doesn't really need it just to get some stupid sticker so NYC can take more of my money.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I need to make some posts to enable PMs
    Sorry for your frustrations. Good luck with the search.

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I will PM you this weekend
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    BMW
    Sounds great! I'm just stressed because I'm really in a bind having 2 days until this damn 10-day temp paper is expired. I could always ask for an extension if need be. I tried to make enough posts to be able to send PMs, but I guess it takes a while to kick in. If you send me one, will I be able to read and respond?
    Last edited by Johnnydough; 03-14-2013 at 09:50 PM.

My Cars
    BMW
    Any luck? Today's my last day for this damn 10-day grace period!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by transitbandit View Post
    Go to the shops in heights .. 80 bucks will get your car inspected pookie
    Any one in particular?

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Jerome Mufflers in the bronx
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    BMW
    Jerome Mufflers in the bronx
    Do I need to mention you or anything? I appreciate the help!

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Do I need to mention you or anything? I appreciate the help!
    Just tell him that you need to pass your inspection.... $$$$$$$
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    BMW
    Ha...ok, but am I asking for Jerome? I just don't want to drive up there tomorrow and them not do it. Already got shot down once this past week. These inspections are so stupid anyhow. I literally drive two miles a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Just tell him that you need to pass your inspection.... $$$$$$$
    Ohhhh it's on Jerome. Can I ask for someone you know? Maybe email or PM the name?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast