Thread: How high can you lift engine in the car

My Cars
    96 M3,'12 Grand Cherokee

How high can you lift engine in the car

Hello All,

I am thinking of installing headers once my cams are in and I am trying to think about ways to make it a bit easier. I was wondering if anyone knew how high you can lift the engine out of the bay with out removing the harness or any major components. I was thinking of doing engine/tranny mounts, and the cooling system at the same time. Thanks for the help.

Greg

My Cars
    USMC 93-01
    Quote Originally Posted by gk325is View Post
    Hello All,

I am thinking of installing headers once my cams are in and I am trying to think about ways to make it a bit easier. I was wondering if anyone knew how high you can lift the engine out of the bay with out removing the harness or any major components. I was thinking of doing engine/tranny mounts, and the cooling system at the same time. Thanks for the help.

Greg
    The harness is bolted to the block under the intake manifold. You wont be able to lift it with out removing a ton of stuff 1st, not to mention your transmission.

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    The easiest thing for you to do is just support the engine from the front lift hook (either with a hoist or with a support bracket on the fenders), and then just drop the subframe.

It'll make getting the motor mounts out SUPER easy, and the headers will be cake to get to.

It's really not many bolts... four for subframe, two for steering rack, one for steering guibo pinch bolt, and I think that's it, unless you have an x brace installed. Oh- and the ones on the engine mounts themselves.

Just mark the steering shaft before you disconnect it.

Then, the tranny mounts are really easy, just put a jack under it to hold it up. Might have to take off the exhaust, I can't remember....

Put some tranny mount enforcers on there while you're at it... makes a big difference.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    I changed stock dimension engine mounts just by unbolting them and jacking up the engine using a 2"by 4" between the lift pad and the oil pan.
    The cyl 1-3 portion of the headers may or may not require unbolting the engine mount bracket.

m

My Cars
    95 M3,04TL 600CBRShifter
    Just make sure you remove the mechanical fan before lifting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    Congrats to all of you who hang on to an old car & love it for what it is today, 'cause it aint the speed of the car, the age, or anything about it that matters, it's all about the enjoyment factor, and most of us simply enjoy the hell out of our old e36 M3's.
    Whoops
    Black Matco side locker, almost new, $1k

WTB black Sparco Pro 2000's

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBgood95 View Post
    Just make sure you remove the mechanical fan before lifting.
    True.
    I deleted that years ago.

m

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    kevinwilly's suggestion is best if also doing the headers. However, you do not need to drop the subframe or suspension to do the headers. I have installed and removed replica USA Supersprint, BMP equal length shorties, RMS long tubes, and a Boostlogic turbo manifold all with the subframe and suspension in place. As others have pointed out, the motor mounts are relatively easily done with the subframe in place, but obviously the engine has to be lifted a little. However, you could hold the engine in place and lower the subframe instead.