Thread: A water leak in the trunk

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 98 XK8 Jag

A water leak in the trunk

I had LED tail light units installed in my 2000 740il a while back and today, after I went through a car wash, I found that the spare tire area is soaked and I looked at the right side battery area at the tail light and it looks like there was water in that area as well.

I thought it might be the trunk gasket, but the carpet and surrounding area was dry.

The lights came with gaskets etc. but it appears they may be the problem.

Anyone have this problem and are there any ideas as to how I can seal the lights to stop the leak?

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    thats an easy 1..lift your spare tire out and check the plastic plugs on the bottom...Either ur missing 1 or forced jet water seeped thru
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    After-market rear light clusters often leak - remove them and use silicone grease (not sealant) profusely on the seal and sealing surfaces. Be careful of leaks from the clusters, the water can damage the electronics on the LHS (audio, phone etc)....
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 98 XK8 Jag
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    After-market rear light clusters often leak - remove them and use silicone grease (not sealant) profusely on the seal and sealing surfaces. Be careful of leaks from the clusters, the water can damage the electronics on the LHS (audio, phone etc)....
    I have copied your suggestion and will give it to my INDY. He installed them, he can re-install them with the needed additional grease.

Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    I had the same leak, nothing wet but the spare area was always wet.

I pulled the rubber trim (were the trunk closes on, like door rubber) sorry don't have the word for it

And found that 2 corners were bent down a bit and the trim did not match up to the trunk anymore.

Changed the rubber and ever sins no more problems

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 98 XK8 Jag
    It is raining today so I opened the trunk and I could see the water running in behind the lights. I looked at the original lights and they have a gasket that fits against the body that the new ones did not have. I call my INDY & he is going to fix it. May have to buy the rubber moulding tape you use around windows and make a gasket.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Gaskets can be bought from the dealer

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 98 XK8 Jag
    Thanks, I will stop there Monday.

My Cars
    '12 X6M, '09 535i
    Man this is common, I have condensation inside my aftermarket tails, also had it in the OEMs, also on the right side.
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by me
    I don't "love" BMWs, or even have much of a strong "like" for them, it is that when I get behind the wheel, everything seems right and whatever I do works out perfectly.

My Cars
    2000 740iL & 98 XK8 Jag
    I called the dealer and ordered the gaskets for both sides, they were $22.00 and change each.

I am also going to check the seal of the lens against the main body as well and use some sealer if I find anything I don't like.

I will also use silicone grease on the rubber gasket (body contact side) to assure a nice tight seal.

Thanks for the great info Edwin

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    I am going to try to install the OEM gaskets on my aftermarket to eliminate the water/condensation going into the left tail light housing. It turned off my radio/navigation unit again today and screwed up the left/right turn signal in my cluster. Hate that the aftermarket LEDs have no gaskets or insulation from water seeping through.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    My LED celis had a huge/thick foam pad that (once screwed down) completely sealed itself against all the holes. Are you saying that yours had no foam or gasket at all?

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Mine has a foam gasket, but unfortunately I do not live in sunny and water drought So Cal. I live in rainy and cold Portland, Oregon where it rains half of the year. Water is still getting into the ibus connection and causing a short in the left tail light housing. I might try to put the old gaskets on there to see if that changes anything. I don't know which one is the ibus connection back there so I can clean it and get all the moisture out.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Will the OEM gasket work as a sealant for the LED tails? I want to replace the crappy foam sealant that the LED tails came with.

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    If they have the same ridge as the OEM tails and you can mount the gasket properly, then yes it should work.
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)