Thread: No crank: Starter relay location?

My Cars
    2003 325i, 2014 328i

No crank: Starter relay location?

Hi, my 2003 325i won't crank. The headlights are bright, the dash lights are fine, and I can hear the fuel pump whirring. I tried all three keys, but no sound on starting, not even a click. I'll try to diagnose it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any hints, I'd be grateful. And does anyone know where the starter relay is? I've searched the web for awhile with no success.

Thanks...

My Cars
    2001 ML430
    Can be a two problems - Ignition starter switch or starter, I think there is no relay for starter only ignition switch, PM me if you need any assistance with parts, I may have it on my yard.

My Cars
    2003 325i, 2014 328i
    Thanks, Jay547. No wonder I couldn't find it - it doesn't exist!

My Cars
    United States
    did you get this figured out?

My Cars
    09 135i;Turbo e36
    ya did u get this figured? im in exact same problem

AZ 51 STEP GRAD.

My Cars
    United States

Well, since no one wants to answer, I did get it figured out!

Unfortunately for me it was the starter (went bad) and yes they are hard to get to, and expensive to fix. If you are need to do it, don't put a cheap one in there, do it right and spend the money. If your battery works, your lights go on, your keys don't work, the fuses and relays are ok, cant jump it... guess what, you probably have a bad starter like I did!

BTW, the starter went bad literally overnight. Parked it in garage and the next morning nothing. check everything like I did first, but if it follows along those lines, tow it to the mechanic and let him fix it.
    Last edited by redsox; 07-12-2011 at 12:08 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 325xi
    @ Chiffy : Hi, Can you please share what are your findings on this ? i am having the exact same problem with my 325xi 2003
    Last edited by xionoix; 03-08-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 330ci
    ^PMing him would be the best way to get the answer that you need.

If you are experiencing similar problems it could be, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, starter, ignition switch or clutch position sensor among other things but the first 4 are the highest likely parts to fail.

My Cars
    BMW 330ci
    ^PMing him would be the best way to get the answer that you need.

If you are experiencing similar problems it could be, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, starter, ignition switch or clutch position sensor among other things but the first 4 are the highest likely parts to fail.

My Cars
    2000 bmw 323i
    I have problems with this 323i model i xant find a relay the starter is good cus i bypassed the key signal with a manual starter switch im beating its the electrical switch any suggestions the modelyear is a 2000

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Sedan
    I had similar problem with my 1999 323i. Oddly enough, it turned out that a piece of my passenger side engine mount bracket had cracked off. Apparently the circuit grounds to that metal bracket and when mine cracked, it disconnected the ground wire. I usually do my own work, but I had to take this in to a mechanic just to diagnose because I was so stumped. I ended up just letting him do the work and it only ran me about $250. You are lucky it isn't the starter - replacing that entails either removing the transmission or the intake manifold. Gotta love those silly engineers!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 318i
    Hi i have the same problem BMW e46 2003 330i wont start or click, but i feel it is battery ??? i still don't know what is it , can anyone HELP pls.
    Last edited by RS8; 12-14-2015 at 02:11 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E46 SALOON 325i
    Bare in mind guys, I had this problem last month and posted about it - It was my key playing up and not communicating with the immobilizer.

My Cars
    United States
    Well, since no one wants to answer, I did get it figured out!

Unfortunately for me it was the starter (went bad) and yes they are hard to get to, and expensive to fix. If you are need to do it, don't put a cheap one in there, do it right and spend the money. If your batteryworks, your lights go on, your keys don't work, the fuses and relays are ok, cant jump it... guess what, you probably have a bad starter like I did!

BTW, the starter went bad literally overnight. Parked it in garage and the next morning nothing. check everything like I did first, but if it follows along those lines, tow it to the mechanic and let him fix it.

Last edited by redsox; 07-12-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiffy View Post
    Hi, my 2003 325i won't crank. The headlights are bright, the dash lights are fine, and I can hear the fuel pump whirring. I tried all three keys, but no sound on starting, not even a click. I'll try to diagnose it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, if anyone has any hints, I'd be grateful. And does anyone know where the starter relay is? I've searched the web for awhile with no success.

Thanks...

My Cars
    1990 BMW 318i
    Well well at last I got what problem is in my car e46 key is not good but the ant of key that's why its not starting luckly I had spare key and it started .

My Cars
    e39 530d
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox View Post
    Unfortunately for me it was the starter (went bad) and yes they are hard to get to, and expensive to fix. If you are need to do it, don't put a cheap one in there, do it right and spend the money. If your battery works, your lights go on, your keys don't work, the fuses and relays are ok, cant jump it... guess what, you probably have a bad starter like I did!

They're a piece of piss to get to. Manifold out job. 3/8" or 10mm spanner works on external torx bolts