Thread: Secondary air system bank1 & bank2 error

My Cars
    2003 745I

Secondary air system bank1 & bank2 error

I threw a check engine with a error code of "secondary air system bank1 and bank2."
    I checked the emmission control air pump with the engine running and it was not working.
    I pulled the air pump out of the car, hooked 12volts to it and the pump worked fine.

Should that air pump always be on?
    If so is there a fuss or relay I should replace?

My Cars
    BMW 320i
    Pump may still be bad, it could have a certain spot where the brushes are bad and the pump will not work. It should only run with engine cold started for about 30 sec.

My Cars
    2003 745I
    Thank you for your help. The pump seems to be fine. I applied juice on and off several times.
    There must be something else throwing the error code.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    It could be one of your two control valves as well. My 2003 745li was doing the same thing you explained and I replaced both of those control valves and it solved the issue. Plus they are a little cheaper way to go than doing the pump.

My Cars
    '02 540
    The check valves and hoses are known problems on this car.

My Cars
    2003 745I
    When we say check valve, are you talking about a PCV or a crank case ventilation valve (CCV)

There is a puff of smoke that now comes out the exhaust at take off.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    nope they are talking bout the sec check valves that are located on the back of the heads. they are a PITA to get to and change.

the valves you are talking bout clip onto the vlave covers. they take maybe 5 minutes to replace.

puff of smoke can be worn exhaust valve guides. i have read a few post on here and them.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745Li
    I have an 03 as well with e same issue, except when mine sits idling for a few minutes it starts pouring out blue smoke from the exhaust. Dealer claims it's from an oil leak on engine block. Says that when this particular engine starts leaking oil it sucks it into the exhaust an creates the smoke. Has anyone heard of this?

My Cars
    540i

Blue smoke after idle

Hi there, blue smoke after idling is a very common problem on this car. The valve stem seals were not manufactured using "viton" rubber, as a resault they go hard do to the higher opperating temp. [105C]. The garter spring can no longer thighten around the valve stem. I just repaired this problem on my 02 il. Don't let it go to long as damage to the "cats' may resault.

My Cars
    540i

Blue smoke after idle

Hi there, blue smoke after idling is a very common problem on this car. The valve stem seals were not manufactured using "viton" rubber, as a resault they go hard do to the higher opperating temp. [105C]. The garter spring can no longer thighten around the valve stem. I just repaired this problem on my 02 il. Don't let it go to long as damage to the "cats' may resault.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Idahocoug View Post
    It could be one of your two control valves as well. My 2003 745li was doing the same thing you explained and I replaced both of those control valves and it solved the issue. Plus they are a little cheaper way to go than doing the pump.
    Hello,

Did you also have misfire codes ? mine has the 2760 code together with differenct misfires on different cylenders (bank 1 and 2) each time I check the codes. The engine will be perfect after 1 min from cold start envery day.
    thanks in advance for any information!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    I got some thing.. 2760 & 2761 along with a misfire on cylinder 7 & 2738 for catalytic converter conversion code. All at same time. Cleared. Engine light yesterday too, but accidentally cleared b4 reading. Will let you know if same codes at same time if and when it returns. Anyone know what both secondary air codes on both banks and a misfire code are from? Pump? Hose?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    Well. Codes came back exactly the same as previously. Each time I get the misfire cat convert and air pump.all together...hmmm. anyone?