Thread: wiper switch problem

My Cars
    03 1.8T GTI 5spd

wiper switch problem

I have no idea why but the wiper switch works only once in a while like there is a bad contact, so I was thinking of going to pick and pull and get a new one, but how do I replace it??

back harder then ever

My Cars
    89is,88is,91ic,91i

must be a common problem

I've experienced this in both of my e30's. Never bothered to diagnose the situation in the '84 (it wasn't too bad). But in the '89, it was indeed a loose ground screw.

Getting to the switch is relatively easy if I remember:

- Remove the steering wheel: pry off emblem cap, remove the 19mm (I believe) locknut, pull the wheel off from the spline shaft (remember its orientation)
    - Remove the trim piece below the steering column (the piece that covers from the column to the pedals)
    - Remove a trim piece between the instrument cluster and the steering column: there are (2) knurled thumb screws accesible only from the back side of the dash.
    - Remove the (4) screws that hold the clam shell steering column cover together (the steering wheel needs to be removed to see (2) of the screws), and remove the bottom portion of the clam shell
    - You should be able to pry the top portion of the clam shell up by flexing the platic away from the ingnition key cylinder enough to allow it to pass. I never did get this upper piece completely off from the column, but was able to move it up enough to get at the wiper switch.
    - From there, it's pretty self-explanatory.

Hint I learned after I had done this operation: Remove the driver's seat!! It's only (4) bolts to the floor and a couple minutes, but clears up a lot of room to get under the dash and steering column. I will do this next time I need access to this area.

My Cars
    1990 325is, 2006 Audi A4 2.0T q, 1968 mercedes 280
    I know this is an old post, but I'll add that I had the same problem of intermittent and eventually totally inop wipers and washer on my '88 325ic. Followed mybimr's instructions and now they work. 30 minute job.
    I'll add that I didn't find it necessary to remove the "trim piece between the instrument cluster and the steering column", and also, my ground screw appeared nice and tight, but cleaning up the contact point and snugging it up a bit seemed to do the trick.
    Definitely not necessary to remove the seat - where would you sit while doing the work?!