Thread: Coolant Confusion!!!!!

Exclamation Coolant Confusion!!!!!

I just got off the phone with my mechanic (indepedent) that recently replaced my thermostat. He said that the green stuff that they put in is fine and will not harm my car. The board says differently. What's the skinny? Should I just go to the dealership and buy their coolant and replace? How much will I need? If I have the dealer "flush" my coolant, what cost am I looking at? Thanks for any help, Scott

My Cars
    M3R6

it's fine!

BMW just dye their coolant blue so you know it's from the factory. Just like how toyota dye their coolant red. Some people might think toyota uses the extended life coolant cuz it's red...but nope it's only dye. Your car is fine with green coolant

Alan
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    2003 530i
    yeah i use the regular green stuff too- no problem.

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    The green stuff should be fine as long as it does not have phosphates or silicates in it.

Don't keep the coolant for the time that they say of like 2 years or 5 years or what ever. Change it every year to make sure that you always have full protection from corrosion. Also make sure that the water used is distilled.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

Here's the skinny on anti-freeze. Most anti-freezes use ethelyn glycol (sp?) As long as you have that your ok. I love Prestone anti-freeze, and use it for all of my cars. Now, if you don't live in a climate that doesn't freeze water, you really don't need anti freeze for the "anti-freezing" properties, but you would want some lubricant and anti-corrosion type of product to put in your system. I've heard many people use distilled water 1/2 and 1/2 coolant fluid in their systems and they swear by it, saying that it keeps the system running cleaner (less corrosion). I havn't really seen if there is a corrolation between the two. In any case, I don't have a need for "anti-freeze" because I live in a warm climate, and just use 1 bottle of Prestone and the rest water. You should be fine w/ a high quality coolant fluid.

1993 325i - Jim C chip, ECIS CAIS, BMP Intake, K&N, fan delete.
    *SOLD* 95///M3 - Engine/Exhaust: Underdrive Pulley, Port & Polished Intake, ECIS Heat Shield, BMP Intake, 9" K&N Filter Charger

You can buy a cheap little gauge that will tell you your freezing point if you are worried about the cold weather.

My Cars
    97 M3,08 X5,08 328i
    Originally posted by Lopaka
    ...I live in a warm climate, and just use 1 bottle of Prestone and the rest water. You should be fine w/ a high quality coolant fluid.
    The owners manual says it's important to go 50/50% for maximum corrosion protection. I live in warm weather too. :