Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive E36 LTW Spoiler Replica Thread

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5 & E46 LSB M3
    This is about as straight on as I have at the moment. Can't remember the seller name.

1997 BMW ///M3 - Estoril Sedan 5MT - M-Rain Interior (1 of 1)
    2001 BMW ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue 6MT
    YouTube: (///Motorsport Throttle)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUM...pYSmibzy5YmUvQ

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Maul View Post
    This is about as straight on as I have at the moment. Can't remember the seller name.

Thanks, looks good

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    This post is mostly for e46tknv making note of how poorly Mashaw and Abraham Motorsports spoilers are. Much of the reason he dismissed them was because of their poor fitment and how much better eBay fitment was, or finish.

I had the chance to see two ltws in person. The spoilers look great. You see the piece as a whole.

Another angle, you can clearly see the gap fitment

Better look at the misalignment

Notice the gap, not only between the top and the riser but the riser and the base as well (cracks?) Edit - Just noticed the long streak of paint on the riser(Good work BMW)

And for fun, the hackjob that ptg did for them. I read that for some reason, the US req a third brake light integrated in spoilers. These spoilers were not made for brake lights, so they went ahead and hand cut them.

Even oem isn't perfect from what I can see. You wouldn't even notice the small imperfections unless looking for them or pointed out. Personally, my scale goes oem, Abraham, Mashaw, ebay 2 piece (high rise), then ebay 4 piece. The ebay two piece have the proper shape to them, and to my surprise a lot actually don't sag (See the dakar example above my post). The ebay 4 piece all sag, are missing the riser indentations (like mashaw), and are a completely different shape, which bothers me more than the sag does.
    Last edited by chynk; 05-28-2014 at 11:43 PM.

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    That one isn't assembled correctly. Poor example.

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    How would someone assemble it incorrectly?

My Cars
    z3
    FWIW, the real LTW spoilers are designed to be functional pieces for use on the racetrack. The hodge-podge job on the third brake light is a good example. Though I must say the reasoning for adding the third brake light makes little sense to me since I am pretty sure the LTWs did not come with these parts installed, but rather came with them in the trunk for the new owner Its not the customers job to conform to US standards and BMW circumnavigated the problem by selling the parts not pre-installed on the car... so why did PTG do this?

And when a company makes a replica thats designed (lets be honest) just to look good, they should clean things up like that before making a mould, instead of replicating the defects in the original. I also have to say I am not 100% sure that piece is put together properly. The one in the distance that isnt pictured close-up does not seem to have these defects.

Personally I think the high-rise spoilers look awful on street cars. The low-rise style, without that spacer, can look great.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    I also have to say I am not 100% sure that piece is put together properly. The one in the distance that isnt pictured close-up does not seem to have these defects.

Personally I think the high-rise spoilers look awful on street cars. The low-rise style, without that spacer, can look great.
    Would the risers being swapped sides be possible? I know I've heard from some people gaps are pretty prevalent in the OEM ones, but that one looks worse than most by a large margin. I prefer the low rise on street cars as well, but depending on how the car is modded the high can look good. Needs the front splitter, or some sort of splitter to balance it out.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Is that an abrahams? Looks perfect.

yes it's an abraham wing. this is def as close as it gets to oem.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Full CF MA Shaw Wing. Quality of the weave was perfect, however there was pitting in the gel coat that was mostly repaired when I had the lower parts primed/painted and the top slightly sanded and clear coated.
    There is no sag in mine. I verified with a straight edge prior to paint. I also picked up a spare trunk that I had a dent and scratch removed and fully refinished.
    Overwhelmed you with pictures below of different angles to see the fit/finish. Perfect by my eyes for gaps, lines, weave etc but feel free to chime in.

Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    e36
    Another thing to note about ma Shaw is that it is full cf. Not fiberglass with a layer of cf on the surface.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    i always wondered how they would look on a convertible....

My Cars
    1997 E36 328i Coupe
    has anyone had a directparts4u fiberglass wing off ebay or just the carbon version? Interested to hear any reviews on the fiberglass one if there is any as the carbon one is so highly recommend

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by notMpowered View Post
    Would the risers being swapped sides be possible? I know I've heard from some people gaps are pretty prevalent in the OEM ones, but that one looks worse than most by a large margin. I prefer the low rise on street cars as well, but depending on how the car is modded the high can look good. Needs the front splitter, or some sort of splitter to balance it out.

Risers can't be swapped, they're tapered a certain way for each side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MSpeedAddict View Post
    Full CF MA Shaw Wing. Quality of the weave was perfect, however there was pitting in the gel coat that was mostly repaired when I had the lower parts primed/painted and the top slightly sanded and clear coated.
    There is no sag in mine. I verified with a straight edge prior to paint. I also picked up a spare trunk that I had a dent and scratch removed and fully refinished.
    Overwhelmed you with pictures below of different angles to see the fit/finish. Perfect by my eyes for gaps, lines, weave etc but feel free to chime in.

Sweet, nice Mashaw, and full CF at that. One thing that bugs me about their spoiler, besides the missing indentations, is the slightly thicker base. It's not overly big like I've seen on some poor ebay reps, but not as slim as oem. Just small things I notice.

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Another thing to note about ma Shaw is that it is full cf. Not fiberglass with a layer of cf on the surface.
    It's also almost double the price, great piece though

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Got my wing today from directparts4u....completely wrecked.

The carbon is cracked in several places and the top portion of the wing is split down the CF seam. There is also something inside the top part of the wing that is rolling around, but it's sealed up so I can't get it out.

Been waiting to buy one for so long and this is what happens....and I just sold the low-rise I had on so I'm wingless right now with holes in my trunk.

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post

The carbon is cracked in several places and the top portion of the wing is split down the CF seam. There is also something inside the top part of the wing that is rolling around, but it's sealed up so I can't get it out.

Been waiting to buy one for so long and this is what happens....and I just sold the low-rise I had on so I'm wingless right now with holes in my trunk.
    That's horrible news, I have heard nothing but excellent things from others about the surprisingly good packaging job of the eBay sellers. But with any overseas items you never know what the condition will be. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I've also heard these sellers have pretty great service and feedback so hopefully you will have no trouble getting a refund or replacement

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3

man thats a bummer. get your money back and honestly, your car deserves an abraham rep. based on what i'm seeing it's worth the extra $
    Last edited by FriedKalamari; 05-29-2014 at 11:36 PM.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Quote Originally Posted by bladerealm124 View Post
    That's horrible news, I have heard nothing but excellent things from others about the surprisingly good packaging job of the eBay sellers. But with any overseas items you never know what the condition will be. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I've also heard these sellers have pretty great service and feedback so hopefully you will have no trouble getting a refund or replacement
    Yeah I seem to have bad luck with overseas stuff. I've messaged them on ebay and send videos of whatever is rolling around in the spoiler so we'll see what happens. I'll update for the sake of future purchasers.

Quote Originally Posted by FriedKalamari View Post
    man thats a bummer. get your money back and honestly, your car deserves an abraham rep. based on what i'm seeing it's worth the extra $
    I was quite torn to just purchasing the abraham but I have always wanted the high rise in carbon fiber. The abraham does fit better and looks like a better build but the idiot in me still sees carbon fiber and goes "oooohhhh cooooool" lol. At this point it goes with the theme of the car. Hopefully I can get a proper one sent out the second time around.

The black strips are for mounting the wing. You place the pegs of the strips into the base of the wing where it mounts to the trunk. Then when you put the wing in place, you tape down the strips, pull up the wing and drill down into where the pegs are. At least that's how I used them, I think there was a write-up somewhere on here.

Not sure about the "u" hardware though...
    Last edited by adamnur; 05-29-2014 at 11:42 PM.

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    question. im trying to go install my spoiler now. can anyone explain to me what the two little silver U pieces are for? and what all the black plastic strips are for?

installing this seems super simple by: 1- laying down the base, and marking the trunk where to drill (will just poke a marker through the holes of the base) 2- drill holes through trunk along with access holes on bottom of trunk. 3- screw the thing in?

am i over thinking this with this extra hardware? all i see a need for is the 4 bolts/washers.

The black strips are for mounting the wing. You place the pegs of the strips into the base of the wing where it mounts to the trunk. Then when you put the wing in place, you tape down the strips, pull up the wing and drill down into where the pegs are. At least that's how I used them, I think there was a write-up somewhere on here.

thanks. doesn't the black strips seem like more work than simple marking it with a pen? ya kno...
    Last edited by FriedKalamari; 05-29-2014 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    96 Stage 2 S/C Alpine M3
    Yeah I seem to have bad luck with overseas stuff. I've messaged them on ebay and send videos of whatever is rolling around in the spoiler so we'll see what happens. I'll update for the sake of future purchasers.

I was quite torn to just purchasing the abraham but I have always wanted the high rise in carbon fiber. The abraham does fit better and looks like a better build but the idiot in me still sees carbon fiber and goes "oooohhhh cooooool" lol. At this point it goes with the theme of the car. Hopefully I can get a proper one sent out the second time around.

I agree about the carbon fiber, I have always been a fan of the exposed look when done tastefully if it flows with the rest of the car. I really wish Abraham made a CF version

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    wow wtf guys...lol, no one warned me what a b1tch this thing is to install. i had to drill bigger holes than necessary as wiggle room for the bolts. and dont even get me started on the access holes.

ill leave this here. im going to sleep.

Last edited by FriedKalamari; 05-30-2014 at 03:10 AM.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chynk View Post
    Sweet, nice Mashaw, and full CF at that. One thing that bugs me about their spoiler, besides the missing indentations, is the slightly thicker base. It's not overly big like I've seen on some poor ebay reps, but not as slim as oem. Just small things I notice.
    I'm really tempted to ask you for a comparison picture as I don't see what you're talking about...but I also don't want to see as then it will bother my OCD.
    Current:
    '97 E36 M3 Track/Street Silver Coupe
    '03 325XI AW Sedan
    Prev:
    '02 E46 M3 Active Autowerke Stage 3.5 S/C'd IR/IR Coupe

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedKalamari View Post
    wow wtf guys...lol, no one warned me what a b1tch this thing is to install. i had to drill bigger holes than necessary as wiggle room for the bolts. and dont even get me started on the access holes.

ill leave this here. im going to sleep.
    Weird. MA Shaw requires two small holes at the edge of the trunk. Only one layer of metal to drill through.

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Weird. MA Shaw requires two small holes at the edge of the trunk. Only one layer of metal to drill through.
    yup its pretty stupid the way this thing mounts.

[QUOTE=chynk;27659847]
    And for fun, the hackjob that ptg did for them. I read that for some reason, the US req a third brake light integrated in spoilers. These spoilers were not made for brake lights, so they went ahead and hand cut them.

That is why I got my wing from europe.. no third brake light cut out = no problem.
    Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel! ... oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.

88 Alpineweiss / black E30 M3 -Project.
    Brilliantrot / black US SPEC 3/90 prod e34 M30b35 535i 5spd - Modded.
    98.5 Tiag Silber /black e36 m3 - Modded.
    99.5 Estoril Blau /dove e36 m3 - Modded.
    07 Crimsonrot /black E83 X3 6spd - Stock..

Page 29 of 69 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637383954 ... LastLast