Thread: Interchangable parts on e46 and e36?

My Cars
    1997 328i

Interchangable parts on e46 and e36?

Hello, ive got a 97 328i and a 2001 325i parts car with head gasket prob and i have a junk yard buying it in a few days so im taking what i can off it. So far i switched the rims only. It has good sport suspension and mine are blown, can i swap the rear shocks and springs for my e36 ones? What about the armrest will that fit the e36 and the e36 armrest on the e46?..Steering wheel?(how hard to swap?), give me some ideas! thanks.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Even though the cars are quite similar mechanically, there isn't much that can be swapped. Rear shocks can probably be swapped (the top mounts are identical) but I wouldn't. Both cars have sufficiently different suspension geometries that the requirements of a shock absorber will be different.

IIRC, steering wheels can be swapped if the slip-ring is swapped at the same time. Keep in mind that no E36 has multi-function buttons. You will probably also have issues if you try using a single-stage airbag in a dual-stage car and vice versa.

I've seen people retrofit the E46 armrest into the E36, but I'm not sure if any extensive modifications are required.

There are only two things that I wish could be swapped from the E36:
    The dual-zone climate control
    The 18-button OBC.

I don't know why BMW would make the E46 less advanced in those respects... Everything else tech-wise is way better on the E46 though

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    If you take your part numbers and plug them into the search at realoem.com, it will tell you which models it finds a match for.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    I've seen people retrofit the E46 armrest into the E36, but I'm not sure if any extensive modifications are required.
    The E36 center console trim has to be reshaped to account for the different location of the E46 armrest hinge, but otherwise, the armrest base bolts right into the E36 mounting points. The E46 armrest pad isn't as bulky as the E36, and it doesn't rub against the seats. The extra storage space is a nice bonus. See the link in my signature.
    Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 01-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.