Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secondary Air Pump low cost alternative

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    lol good POST
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1994 325i convertible,

Here is another option

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPDLSC View Post
    I believe my air pump is going too. It sounded like a jet at start up and now it has grown louder to a loud whine. Found the failure mode of the air pump: it will it seize and cause an over draw condition and blow a fuse.

Just found some rebuild instructions: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=3961506
    I know this is an old thread, but if this post helps someone it will be worth the time I took to write it. My 1999 740iL had the pesky SAS codes and had been neglected. When I bought it, all of the components were shot, except for the vacuum solenoid switch. Replacing the fuse under the carpet was a real pain, had to take the front passenger seat out (unbolted it and pushed it backwards out of the way) and surgically open the carpet to gain access to the fuse block. Pricing on the BMW pump and valve was unbearable, so I picked up a pump and a valve from a junked VW Jetta MK4 with the 2.0 gas engine. I swapped the bottom of the pumps to keep the BMW connector. The VW pump and valve had the outlets in a different orientation so I installed the connecting fittings on a flexible corrugated hose from a dishwasher (Home Depot, 10 dollar kit), routed the hose to where it would not kink, but connected straight to the VW fittings on both the pump and valve. The system worked just fine and the car passed the emissions test with flying colours. The VW pump and valve were just 15 dollars at the local wrecking yard. The VW pump was also Pierburg, nearly identical to the BMW pump, except for the outlet orientation, fittings and connector.

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by dville View Post
    Question on valve gasket install - does the ridged lip face down away from the valve or up at install?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    They only fit one way. There is a channel in the underside of the valve cover for the gasket.
    (This is Not related to the secondary air pump. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    They only fit one way. There is a channel in the underside of the valve cover for the gasket.
    (This is Not related to the secondary air pump. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, not the pump itself but the valve allowing the pump to run correctly. Cool. I plan on pulling the pipe tonight to replace the o rings. Looks like a PITA due to how tight everything is.

Did you need to remove the coolant hoses to get out?

P. S. Appreciate the early morning responses!

My Cars
    06 Audi A8L Quattro
    Oh, thought you were talking about intake and exhaust valve cover gasket.

If I recall, The gasket should be flat so it doesn’t matter.

http://s356.photobucket.com/user/sxd...l?sort=3&o=383

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Oh, thought you were talking about intake and exhaust valve cover gasket.

If I recall, The gasket should be flat so it doesn’t matter.

http://s356.photobucket.com/user/sxd...l?sort=3&o=383
    Gasket went on easily and valve works well. It was a heck of a time getting the pipe out far enough to replace the o-rings - had to do some funky reaching given the tight space.

Was going to button everything up tonight only to realize that the pump I bought off ebay was sold in "good, working condition" and came cracked.... Bummer.

Will get everything buttoned up next week. Already replaced fuse and relay so I know those are good.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I'd try to epoxy that or something.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I'd try to epoxy that or something.
    Returned. wasn't going to forfeit a refund through JB weld experimentation haha

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    You can also buy the motor by itself on fleabay for around $25, takes 30 minutes to swap out. (Once off the car)

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by 740ilDuke View Post
    You can also buy the motor by itself on fleabay for around $25, takes 30 minutes to swap out. (Once off the car)
    Got another one for $28.other guy gave me full refund and let me keep full unit so I'm gonna jb weld this guy and see how it works out

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123