Thread: how to fix sagging sunroof handle

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25

how to fix sagging sunroof handle

so i own 2 bmws with crank sunroofs and my e30 had this same problem...so i figured i do a little easy how to on fixing the very common sagging sunroof crank handle ....basically what happens over time is the metal eventually gets pushed away and wont hold the handle in place anymore very easy to fix:

if you can see in this pic there is a small round divot in the side of this metal this is what holds the handle up

there is a round ball that slides into each divot and holds the handle up snug

all you need to do is take the 2 ends of the metal and either take a pair of pliers or put it in a vice and push it back together and your handle will hold nice and snug again!!

push ---> <--- push

Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    That's fantastic!
    I wish i would have done that before using loc-tite "red" on the handle screw
    Tbd

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Sigh... Thanks, can't wait to fix that.

My Cars
    1986 325
    Thanks for this easy fix.

And you just saved me from trying to hunt down a good handle unit in the junkyard.

My Cars
    Alpine x 2
    good info man thanks!

I hang my sunglasses from the crank so I bet it will start to sag eventually. I just purchased a new one not 2 years ago.
    E21 LEGION INT'L | NORTHEAST CHAPTER

Bleed Green

My Cars
    (2) '83 320iS, '97 528i
    Great how-to and thanks for crossing the border into e21 Legion country to share!
    "The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By dilligent effort, I learnt to like it." Sir Winston Churchill

My Cars
    1-1982 BMW 320i
    So I just bought a new crank handle from AutohausAZ and have had a hell of a time putting it in. It just will not go all the way through. Is there any trick (position of the sunroof and crank) I do not know of? I've inspected carefully and it's the same exact part. I have a feeling this is one of those things that only experience tells. Thanx.

My Cars
    '10 X5 35d
    What is the issue? Is the not seating?
    I think the basic instructions are: Line up the flat sides of the shaft with the handle, then line up the plastic "flange" parts and press it home, install screws.

Current: '10 E70 X5 35d | All my e21 parts are for sale!
    Prior: '82 E21 320i | '80 E21 320i | '72 E3 Bavaria | '98 E36/5 318ti | '06 E46/2 325Ci | '83 E21 320iS

My Cars
    1-1982 BMW 320i
    It's just not going through. I really don't want to break it by forcing it too hard. I guess my old part came out easily and is going back in easily because you can tell it's really worn. I'll continue trying today. I also thought that maybe both parts had to be in certain position for them to fit just right.

Quote Originally Posted by edennelson View Post
    What is the issue? Is the not seating?
    I think the basic instructions are: Line up the flat sides of the shaft with the handle, then line up the plastic "flange" parts and press it home, install screws.

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    I had the same problem. There are aftermarket crank handles made in India IIRC that don't work, period. I spent the extra few bucks and bought an OE handle that fit perfectly.

My Cars
    1-1982 BMW 320i
    Got it! Did a little bit of filing and tapped it in until it went through. Works and looks great! Gettin there - slowly but surely.