Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fix the N54 wastegate rattle?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335 coupe
    My brother had this on his car and te dealership replaced his turbo system and did some recall on the injectors I believe.
    Only downside was that it took a while for him to get his car back but all in all it was worth it for him!

2008 e92 alpine white,jb4,injen intakes,tial bov,UR chargepipe,AR dp's, BMW short shifter kit, brushed aluminum pedals,m3 style front lip,19' kumho ku39 performance tires(non run flats) bms meth kit
    http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Hey ronkeller8, I'm a new user and I have your same exact car. I have had for about 3k miles now, total of 72k, and it was not rattling when I bought it. But now, uopn start up i have an awful loud rattle seemingly coming from near my turbos. As the engine cranks up, its clearly there and as the engine settles to idle, it calms down. Then, if I rev the engine (within 10-15 seconds of start up) you hear the sound get louder with the increased RPMs/exhaust flow. Then after about 20-30 seconds the sound is gone and I can drive it completely normally without any sound. Its only on start up.
    It is especially apparent if I start her up in the garage or next to a wall. Open-air start ups the sound is harder to hear.

Did you ever get this problem resolved? or did anyone in here have similar symptoms to mine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ronkeller8 View Post
    2008 E93 w/ 'the noise'. Likewise, was told it was normal. For me, it seems to go away after it warms up.....but noticeable at start up for sure.
    Hope this works to reply directly to Ronkeller8:
    Hey ronkeller8, I'm a new user and I have your same exact car. I have had for about 3k miles now, total of 72k, and it was not rattling when I bought it. But now, uopn start up i have an awful loud rattle seemingly coming from near my turbos. As the engine cranks up, its clearly there and as the engine settles to idle, it calms down. Then, if I rev the engine (within 10-15 seconds of start up) you hear the sound get louder with the increased RPMs/exhaust flow. Then after about 20-30 seconds the sound is gone and I can drive it completely normally without any sound. Its only on start up.
    It is especially apparent if I start her up in the garage or next to a wall. Open-air start ups the sound is harder to hear.

Did you ever get this problem resolved? or did anyone in here have similar symptoms to mine?

My Cars
    2008 bmw 335i coupe

Misfiring and rattle nois

Hi am new to the forums I have a 2008 Bmw 335i it has some problems I scanned it and said cylinder #1#2#3 are misfireing and also running to rich and random misfire need help what to do ?? And also when I start it it does like a rattle nois coming next to the air box?? It sounds like something is breaking but the engine is fine as well and the manual transmission and it has 70,000 miles?? So if some body had the same problem please let me know

My Cars
    2015 BMW 435i xDrive 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 335i View Post
    Hi am new to the forums I have a 2008 Bmw 335i it has some problems I scanned it and said cylinder #1#2#3 are misfireing and also running to rich and random misfire need help what to do ?? And also when I start it it does like a rattle nois coming next to the air box?? It sounds like something is breaking but the engine is fine as well and the manual transmission and it has 70,000 miles?? So if some body had the same problem please let me know
    Your first issue sounds like leaking injectors and/or bad coils. The noise could be many things.

My Cars
    2008 bmw 335i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
    Your first issue sounds like leaking injectors and/or bad coils. The noise could be many things.
    Ok I changed all spark plugs and cylinder #1 coil but after a couple start ups I pull the first 3 spark plugs are all black and #s 4,5,6 are good but it's still misfiring so your saying I should change the injectors ?

My Cars
    2015 BMW 435i xDrive 6MT
    I would probably lean that way, but since they are fairly expensive and require coding you should have the codes pulled and make sure that makes sense. Are you saying that you just started it a few times and didn't even drive it and the plugs are already black?

My Cars
    2008 bmw 335i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
    I would probably lean that way, but since they are fairly expensive and require coding you should have the codes pulled and make sure that makes sense. Are you saying that you just started it a few times and didn't even drive it and the plugs are already black?
    Yea i didn't drive it ?

My Cars
    2015 BMW 435i xDrive 6MT
    Need to pull the codes.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i XDrive-E60
    could it be yours wastegates rattleing, and as of misfires and spark plugs 1,2,and 3 it sounds like that turbo especially might be causing troubles (wastegate or leaky seals?) that's just my guess but im no where near a expert. just seems that if its just 1,2 and 3 and not the others then mayb just the one turbo is bad

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i
    I heard from a fellow BMW owner that if your 335 has less than 120k miles wastegate rattle is covered by BMW. I would fact check this, for I have not personally verified this myself.

Happy motoring

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12