Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 11JZ111 Projekt..drift sled

My Cars
    06 Impreza Wagon
    i run no power steering with a welded diff.

as long as the pump is turning the system is active. there is an over pressure valve in the system but holding the wheel at full lock while at 5k+ sure does like to overheat the fluid and make a mess

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    dom, what is the belt # that you use to bypass the ps?

did you empty the fluid from the rack and cap it off? how difficult is the steering effort when transitioning..is there any difference?
    new projekt 11JZ111...
    For sale???? say it aint so....

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Sounds like you need to buy a Z4 rack. And the Z4 tie rods should work fine shortened about 10mm since the Z4 is E46.

The Z4 one is on the right. They use electric assist on the column, so the rack is manual. With like 53mm per turn though and modded spindles, I predict the steering being WAY to heavy, like head to the Kenworth dealer and see if they have some steering wheels in stock...
    Last edited by SLR; 07-31-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    are you saying heavy steering on my z3 or with the z4 rack?

and this power steering issue is temporary, i want to spend minimal money on bmw parts that i will not need with the 2jz powerplant (m50 power steering pump..etc) i have a pretty much new condition 2jz ps pump and will be running a cooler and AN lines to the rack
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 07-31-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '85 twin turbo E30 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by projekt EPiK View Post
    are you saying heavy steering on my z3 or with the z4 rack?

and this power steering issue is temporary, i want to spend minimal money on bmw parts that i will not need with the 2jz powerplant (m50 power steering pump..etc) i have a pretty much new condition 2jz ps pump and will be running a cooler and AN lines to the rack
    FYI I am running a 1JZ ps pump on the BMW rack and it is CRAP.

The BMW pumps run higher pressure & lower flow than the toyota pumps.
    This means the steering is a bit on the heavy side (but acceptable) the problem comes from the volume the toyota pumps sends through the rack is low and has to bypass a lot thus over heats the oil in no time at all.
    This is internally bypassed and generates the heat in the recirc'd oil, not the oil going through the rack, so an inline coooler is rather ineffective.

I am in the process of adapting a M50 PS pump to the 1JZ, down where the aircon pump usually sits and plan to run a cooler also.

SLR is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '08 E46, E36,
    Hmmm Interesting, so what you're saying is the BMW racks flow less and provide the assist from the pressure?

Either way it seems like the BM system would overheat just as easily if it was bypassing fluid regularly (straight line driving).

And Jeff, I saw saying with a non-assist rack from a Z4 your steering would be crazy hard.

My Cars
    E46sedan m50,12 ecoboost
    What kind of steering ratio does the z4 rack have using it as a manual rack as I am using a capped off 328 rack right now as a manual rack.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    i may try out my z3 rack drained with a bypass belt at the next drift event just to experiment.

very interesting input about the 1jz pump man, my 2jz is still on a stand right now so maybe i'll throw the 2jz pump up for sale and pick up a rebuilt m50 pump to build the bracket for while i can see it right in front of me.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    It's probably just the fittings at the pump, I vote for just getting an M50 pump, cutting the crap stock fittings off, and just using worm clamps and new hose.

It's what I did at the beginning of this year, no issues yet and I beat the snot out of my poor steering system

My Cars
    06 Impreza Wagon
    my rack is open no fluid or anything in, been that way for 3 years i run a 56.1in belt its not hard to drive just heavy around the paddock

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    sounds like it would rip your thumbs off with a mis-placed hand

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    It's probably just the fittings at the pump, I vote for just getting an M50 pump, cutting the crap stock fittings off, and just using worm clamps and new hose.

It's what I did at the beginning of this year, no issues yet and I beat the snot out of my poor steering system
    i have new hoses and regular hose clamps. i did use atf cooler hose though since the ps system uses atf..but it is still leaking.

personally i think AN fittings are the way to go, like Daltron did
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    I'm not so sure, didn't he say his rack ended up leaking? That guy brought up a good point, that could be referenced in regards to the BMW racks. Maybe Daltron over-flowed the rack causing premature failure. I know the stock lines have a restrictor built into the low pressure line. Those AN lines/fittings will flow a hell of a lot more than stock I'd think.

something to think about I guess.
    Last edited by bennyfizzle; 08-01-2011 at 08:21 AM.

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    good thinking Ben.. with an adaptor i could account for a restrictor inline though. using -6 AN line and dropping to a -4 for the restrictor
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Sounds good, I'll take a copy of your setup when you're done

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    drifting tomorrow. MBDrift competition and i cant wait.

Spent about 4hrs on the car today, pulled the rear bumper out from the wall tap last month..straightened out pretty good on my trailer with a come-a-long.

The front bumper cover is probably on its last legs.. zipties tore thru the plastic on a cone crusher hit last month. Really ghetto'd on there now..but its there.

The m44 power steering pump is going to stay for now, turns out one of the hoses was partially kinked, so i unkinked it and reclamped it and no more whine...still in the market for a good m50 p/s pump though.

havent installed the e46 control arms yet, that will have to wait until i can get the front camber corrected, and some new tie rods.

Hopefully good media to post up in a few days...results to follow
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    Finally bit the bullet and decided to install some of the parts I have been hoarding.
    E46 arms and AKG lollipop conversion poly bushings

Trying to prevent any more of this..

Surprisingly I had no issues using the stock tie rods and correcting the toe to 0.

Only had enough time before dark to get the drivers side done, other will be tomorrow morning, then off to the track for a shakedown.
    here's a shot, but not really accurate since the passenger side is still butting frame with the tire at lock.

one issue i need to figure out is the sway bar mount that was on the old e36/z3 arms. any tips?
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    could you use the M3 links and connect it to the strut?

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    doubtful..at least not in the current condition the links are. if i cut them down, possibly. now i need to find the links again.

(i f*cking hate automerge... the below is an update from wednesday..above was posted on tuesday night..now it makes sense)

finshed it up and went to the track yesterday. i havent figured out the mount for the front sway bar yet, so ran without it..car was all over the place. transitions were so smooth and fluid before, now it was herky jerky and i was looking like a newb.

to compensate i upped the damping on the front BCs (were set at 6) to 12..little better, still slap happy.. upped it to 25. I hate compensating for the chassis roll with the suspension..but I had to do something. it was starting to get better.

transitions still werent what i wanted though, not certain if that is due to the e46 arms widening track and most likely screwing with caster, or the lack of a front bar that would tie the arms together. i realized that my eyeballed alignment that i thought was at 0, had a slight toe in. instead of approx 1/16" toe out that i used to run b/c the stock tie rods were maxed out in adjustment due to the knuckles. now that i had room to adjust i cranked the front tires back out and it got a little better again.

one thing i noticed is that at going lock to lock on the track it almost felt as if the rack was overcentering. going full to one side, and flipping back i used to just be able to flick the wheel and the car would steer itself and i would catch it. now i have to muscle it back and it seems as though there is a dead spot in the center.

i really need to get a front bar back on this car and see if that may be the problem here too.

last thing i noticed, and i was expecting this sort of.. the back of the tire is rubbing on the wide later e46 arm. i plan on clearancing the arm and welding in strength plates to make up the difference. I will also weld in a mount for the front sway bar, now that i know it is screwing with me so much.

so this test is incomplete, i did get some vid cam action yesterday though that i will edit and post. the cam was stationary on a tripod because i was alone, but at least i got an idea of the what the car looked like at work.
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 08-18-2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    **update.. talking with somebody i realized that i still have rack spacers installed on the inner tie rods. this may contribute to the feeling of overcentering of the rack that i was experiencing. more work to do
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    I like being somebody

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    i coulda said "talking with Paul the poser that no longer drives a BMW, but flosses in a Chaser.." but i was being nice.

new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    '95 318ti, '97 11JZ111
    Here's a video i made from the shakedown the other day. i just finished editing it (my first) no song just a few cut together pieces and lots of tire smoke and inline six music.
    [ame]http://www.vimeo.com/27998117[/ame]
    Last edited by projekt EPiK; 08-22-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    new projekt 11JZ111...

My Cars
    95 325is.
    Nice! what gear ratio?.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Sedan
    Great drifts I want to make it down to one of the mb drift events

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast