Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1990 525i M20 mckchr67

mckchr67 is offline we eat smart, bacon smart BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Quote Originally Posted by mhax View Post
    love your work! makes me want to buy another e34!
    Thanks! Other than me doing maintenance, it was all Mike's doing with the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemxbike4 View Post
    Nice! Did you get polyurethane mounts all around or stock?
    I was shopping around for polyurethane, and ended up with just getting stock rubber. I went with all the meyle HD suspension parts so I figured I might as well stay on the budget. Also I wanted to get them on this week, and BMAparts ships from a local place so I'll have them tomorrow for minimal shipping costs.
    Chris

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Well this folks is what transmission mounts shouldn't look like.

Right side was worn pretty bad.

Left side was hanging on for dear life, and with a little wiggle it was detached.

I bet this thing will feel like a whole new car.
    Last edited by mckchr67; 12-19-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Hahaha hopefully new ones last for a while

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    I finally got around to getting the motor mounts on the car after dealing with getting a mount that had the threads messed up. Motor mount comparison, photo of drivers side. The passengers side was a little more compressed and was pretty bent.

M20 motor mounts 243k by mckchr67, on Flickr

Enjoying the snow and the putting the Hankook iPikes through the paces this week.

I am debating on powder coating the style 29's to run them next summer...
    Chris

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    E34 looks awesome dude, I would totally be happy with that ride height. Looks a lot like my e34

Keep up the good work.

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Quote Originally Posted by m60b30530i View Post
    E34 looks awesome dude, I would totally be happy with that ride height. Looks a lot like my e34
    Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, I am really happy with the ride height actually for where I live.

I was happy with the ride height until I started to notice a weird sag and noise coming from the rear end. Turned out to be some pretty deteriorated upper strut mounts. They were Febi mounts, not sure when they were replaced last.. but they were beat up.

DPP_2816 by mckchr67, on Flickr

Better but cracked

almost junk by mckchr67, on Flickr

broken

broken by mckchr67, on Flickr

Broken side was completely gone. The other side only had cracking on the bottom.

rear strut mount by mckchr67, on Flickr

Hopefully I am going to get around to ordering some Moosehead Engineering mounts early next week. I already pressed out the studs and cup to reuse them. Money only grows on my trees in the warm months....
    Chris

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    This car eats rear shock mounts for breakfast lunch and dinner. I've replaced at least 3 sets after switching to stiff springs and shocks. Solid/poly RSM's are much needed imo

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    I picked up some rear shock mounts RSM's from Paul at Moosehead Engineering and installed them this week. I made the body gaskets out of a sheet of old gasket paper I had laying around. Not sure if I installed the one side off center, but it is making some poly bushing noise... So I'll have to check that out.

Only photo I took was of the nice shirt that I got.

I also picked up a set up 16x8 et 23 forged Style 4's without center caps a couple weeks ago. I had some center caps from style 2's that I trimmed up a little to see if I could get them to fit... I like the look on e30's and e28's... but I am not sure if I like how they'll look on a e34. Hopefully I get around to putting them on to see how they look this weekend. Also put my first baby swing together for the baby that we are expecting in March.

Chris

My Cars
    1990 525iM/90 300zxTT
    Great to see another m20 on here. Im thinking about putting some gold style 5s on my 90 bronzit. The car is in such great condition!

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Quote Originally Posted by SDm3 View Post
    Great to see another m20 on here. Im thinking about putting some gold style 5s on my 90 bronzit. The car is in such great condition!
    Thanks, I kind of miss my 17" style 5's. Not sure about gold on a Bronzit car though...

Moosehead RSM's installed. After putting the rear seat in, there was very little noticeable noise.

We really need to get some gravel down on the farm road.... in need of a bath.

Last edited by mckchr67; 02-17-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    1990 525iM/90 300zxTT
    I think Gold on Bronzit would look sweet. Hopefully I'll pick some up soon and whore it out.

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Finally found some time to try out the Style 4's on the e34 today. The new born baby makes time fly and leaves little time to tinker with car stuff until we get settled in. I picked up the style 4's to paint or powdercoat and sell to a buddy to run on his e28 or e30... and he currently doesn't have the money to fund them so I figured I would run them for a little since I have yet to see a set on a e34. I really don't like how they look, but oh well it is nice to have something a little different for a while.

No caps e34 style 4's 16x8 225/55/16

Style 2 caps I had laying around that I might make them work until I oem spec caps for them.

Last edited by mckchr67; 04-02-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Chris

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Still using the style 4's on snow tires, I haven't got around to mounting the new tires yet. I have been on the fence whether I want to get oem center caps or make a open lug Alpina type center cap for them. Only at 246,000 miles, I was really hoping to be at 250k by this time... spent too much time on jack stands this winter. Finally had some time to clean the car up and will be taking it to Carlisle, PA Import and Kit Car show tomorrow. The meyle HD front end components seem to be holding up well so far.

Chris

My Cars
    E34, E30, 240sx
    I like the wheels on the car even without the center caps. What rear apron is that?

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Quote Originally Posted by struka View Post
    I like the wheels on the car even without the center caps. What rear apron is that?
    Thanks. The rear bumper cover and side skirts are Hartge, front is just a Volvo lip.
    Chris

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Well the time has come to move on. I sold the m20/5 to a guy from Rockville, MD area. Currently waiting to get some more information on a 540/6 that is for sale locally.
    Chris

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Ouch. Is he on Bfc?

My Cars
    Gutted e34
    Yeah, yeah I sold it to free up some money for last minute purchases for the new house, he started a thread. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=2010626

I picked up the 1990 525i track car that was for sale in the classifieds with the rack and pinion swap in it.... Just because it was dirt cheap for a project beater car. Photos - http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGHe8Mz
    Chris

My Cars
    e34
    This thread is super old but that's why the internet is wonderful. I love how the car sat on the style 4s' I'm curious in the photo of it with them on were the 15mm spacers on the vehicle? Also do you know what the front and back drop in mm was at this point also? Looking to do a few things to my completely stock e34..

Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234