Thread: 540it Subwoofer replacement?

My Cars
    '18 340i, '89 325i Vert

540it Subwoofer replacement?

I have been google-ing and searching the forums, and was just wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions for a sub that can replace the OEM one that came in the car. I don't want anything crazy. but a bit more bass would be nice.

After searching the forums I didn't really find any that I can just swap out with the old one.

You touring guys let me know!

thanks.

My Cars
    540i

My Cars
    '18 340i, '89 325i Vert
    you have a link on where i can purchase one?

My Cars
    540i
    Quote Originally Posted by enkay View Post
    you have a link on where i can purchase one?
    Your best bet is to find them used, they generally go for $200 on M5Board.com.

There is a bit of work involved however, you need to remove your entire rear interior/rear deck in order to cut a hole that will allow the M-subs to fit, the deck is pre-stamped but not cut.

Another more expensive option is http://bavariansoundwerks.com/

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya Enkay

P11 has it incorrect with his response, he hasn't read that you have a Touring - we'll excuse him as it was late when he posted it !

The choices are for a Touring... pretty much zilch. BSW used to make a direct replacement subwoofer for the E39 Touring but it's been discontinued. They did a limited time offer a couple months ago to do a production run based on a a certain number here and other forums signing up for them - but I don't think it got anywhere.

If you are intent on keeping the OEM audio setup then there's nothing out there.

If you decide to go aftermarket, then it's a question of getting an enclosure made up and then a good performing after market subwoofer and amplifier chosen. If you want to put this in exactly the same place as the OEM subwoofer, you'll have your work cut out as it's quite a small area. This also means it'll be relatively pricey as you'll get a car audio shop to do a custom job. It has been done and can be done though as there are a few Tourings with this done.

I'm making/developing a box to go on the 'other' (left) side cubby hole. My car doesn't have the satnav/CD changer, it was just an emtpy space. Pics below;

This has been a project of mine for quite some time. Couple factors against me at the moment are I've run out of funds and the company that made that specific box design for me have since gone out of business. I am however working on getting this integrated next week with some new industry suppliers. I'll be using a JL Audio 8W3 V3 8 inch subwoofer.

There's another thread about this I have responded to, so I'll update that one as well once I progress further. I'm hoping to be able to supply these for Touring owners at a reasonable price, so another layer of complexity for me is ensuring the design can be easily built for orders.

Cheers, Dennis! West London UK!

My Cars
    2000 528iT sport 11/99
    The "sub" box in the touring, when split in half, makes a great place to mount an amp. Mine can be swung out and removed still.

The actual sub is much harder to hide. Unless you're ok riding without a spare tire there's really nowhere to cleanly hide a 10". Mine is strapped down in the cargo area. If i really need the space i'll just pull the box, 90% of the time i'd rather have the bass. 14"x14"x18" sealed, plenty of punch.

Unless you're into shaking your car apart a 10" will be plenty, unlike a sedan your bass has nothing blocking it from the cabin.

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilWagn View Post
    The "sub" box in the touring, when split in half, makes a great place to mount an amp. Mine can be swung out and removed still.

The actual sub is much harder to hide. Unless you're ok riding without a spare tire there's really nowhere to cleanly hide a 10". Mine is strapped down in the cargo area. If i really need the space i'll just pull the box, 90% of the time i'd rather have the bass. 14"x14"x18" sealed, plenty of punch.

Unless you're into shaking your car apart a 10" will be plenty, unlike a sedan your bass has nothing blocking it from the cabin.
    +1
    Here is my setup. Waiting on Dennis!

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    1998 540i/6 Dinan mods
    combined sub/amp 10 in Infinity Baselink works very well ... after using it with stock system for a long time (E39 540i), finally replace all speakers myself, then had a Kenwood Exelon X993 put in and a MB Quart 4 channel amp ... now finally satisfied with my system ... except have to get rid of some ignition noise ... whole system about $2k ...

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hiya

I'll have an update very shortly as I've progressed with more of my build that I've shown above.

Cbill7 - is your car a Touring?

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1998 540i/6 Dinan mods
    sorry, not a touring ...

My Cars
    03 525IT wagon 5MT sold.
    The stock amp will not drive any sort of aftermarket sub, so you really need to add an amp and install a different sub. I made a small wood box to put in the same location as the stock sub, and then put an amp above the spare tire. I used an 8" Kicker Solobaric sub, and it sounds great and actually provides a lot of bass.

Other than the BSW sub mentioned by Dennis, I'm not aware of any other subs out there that will replace the stock sub for our wagons...

Do some searching on this site, and you will find a couple tourings that have added subs in the stock location.
    03 525iT 5spd, sport, cold weather, premium, xenons, rear shades, blue tooth, dimming rear view with compass, 50% tint, shadowline trim, staggered 32s, Dice silverine iPod, bump in the trunk, SOLD

01 525iT AT, cold weather, premium, xenons, Dice, dimming rear view, 20% tint, bump in the boot...

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Has anybody had any luck just adding a bigger amp to the existing sub?

I have two aftermarket amps sitting in the basement and thought about trying this. I would also love a bit more bass, and wondered if I could also add a potentiometer to control the bass level better.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina