Thread: What Transmission do I have?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i

What Transmission do I have?

Okay so I have been doing a ton of research online and on a ton of BMW forums. I have been trying to figure out what kind of transmission my car has. Its a steptronic 2002 330i now would it be a gm or zf? I know people will say just jack the car up but I dont have jack stands or other equipment to do so. Im just wondering if there is anyway to tell the type of tranny it has by the badge like 325i, 328i, 330i etc... Or even by the year? Please its just a simple question I really dont want to receive flak for this I just need an answer. Thanks in advance

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I dont think you can tell without doing what "people will tell you to do"

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    so pretty much what your saying is that I need to jack the car up go under it and check for myself?? If so its fine I was just wondering if there was anyway to bypass that. But which would be better to have or last the longest the gm or zf? thanks

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I believe the GM tranny is the better to have of the two.

My Cars
    330iS
    OP, have you checked realoem.com? It was correct on the money for me. Just wish I found out about this site before I bought her. The past is the past now though, so she no longer has an automatic and she will always be able to go in reverse

Just in case you never saw this page out of the Bentley...again wish I saw it since it was absolutely correct.

You sir have the infamous ZF 5HP19. A5S325Z is the ZF 5HP19.

Go on realoem.com, type in your last 7 of your VIN and then look under Automatic Transmission. You should see two listed. A5S325Z and then A5S360R/A5S390R. Click on the first one. If you see parts listed for it then you have this. If you back out and click on the other one, it probably says "No parts found matching your car."

If you really want to be depressed, looked underneath your car for the identifying plate that Dane posted. Look on the driver side directly in the back of the transmission...just to the bottom left of the output shaft. The ZF identifying plate is facing the rear of the transmission--rear of the vehicle. If you see the ZF, then that just confirms it even more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 325i
    According to charts I have the 330i used the ZF 5HP19 transmission from 06/00 thru 2002 (could be later too, the charts I have only cover through 2002).

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by genuity View Post
    OP, have you checked realoem.com? It was correct on the money for me. Just wish I found out about this site before I bought her. The past is the past now though, so she no longer has an automatic and she will always be able to go in reverse

Just in case you never saw this page out of the Bentley...again wish I saw it since it was absolutely correct.

Go on realoem.com, type in your last 7 of your VIN and then look under Automatic Transmission. You should see two listed. A5S325Z and then A5S360R/A5S390R. Click on the first one. If you see parts listed for it then you have this. If you back out and click on the other one, it probably says "No parts found matching your car."

If you really want to be depressed, looked underneath your car for the identifying plate that Dane posted. Look on the driver side directly in the back of the transmission...just to the bottom left of the output shaft. The ZF identifying plate is facing the rear of the transmission--rear of the vehicle. If you see the ZF, then that just confirms it even more.

Why is it infamous? I know because of no reverse but isnt that mostly for 323i's?

My Cars
    330iS
    Quote Originally Posted by 330ifanatic View Post
    Why is it infamous? I know because of no reverse but isnt that mostly for 323i's?
    Yes, but mostly for 323i's is a myth.

http://noreverse.org/complaints.html

ZF 5HP19 covers 323i, 323ci, 325i, 328i, 330i, 525i, 528i, 530i, X3 and X5 from 1999 upwards. There was one specific year in the early to mid 2000's that they supposedly realized the weak reverse drum and made a thicker drum.

...and yes GM is a stronger transmission in the context of the ZF vs GM. However, the GM is not without some hiccups either.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Yes, but mostly for 323i's is a myth.

http://noreverse.org/complaints.html

ZF 5HP19 covers 323i, 323ci, 325i, 328i, 330i, 525i, 528i, 530i, X3 and X5 from 1999 upwards. There was one specific year in the early to mid 2000's that they supposedly realized the weak reverse drum and made a thicker drum.

...and yes GM is a stronger transmission in the context of the ZF vs GM. However, the GM is not without some hiccups either.

Interesting.... Anyway what should I do I mean the carfax says that the transmission was checked at 116,000 miles Idk what a check involves. But it doesnt show any transmission fluid changed or anything like that. Now its at 122,000 miles should I leave it be or change the fluid??? I hear it can be good or bad either way. Opinions pleaseee. Thanks

My Cars
    330iS
    IMHO, with that amount of miles, just leave it alone until you start having problems. If it slips at first you can try changing a little bit of it out, along with the filter and what not as a "cheap" fix that may help it. If reverse goes out, then you can just forget changing the oil. However, if it is not giving you any problems, just be gentle with it but leave the oil alone.

I had a friend with an E36 and he went 230k+ and never changed the fluid. It still was fine even after he swapped out engine and tranny. His engine failed emissions towards the end, so when he swapped that out, he figured he may as well swap trannies also. This transmission was a GM transmission though. There was also no unheard of weak reverse drum issues back during the E36 days. BMW really does not build them like they use to build them.

Just realize one thing...it is often cheaper to swap to another transmission from a salvaged yard than to rebuild your current automatic. Keep websites like car-part.com and lkqonline.com handy if you ever should need it. Low miles, newest in terms of years, and low cost is what you are looking for. Grade A parts or better.

One of my coworkers didn't do enough homework to realize this last month then he had VW replace his broken cam, timing chain, and a few other things that cost him like $3k+ It would have been more cost effective for him to get a used engine and paid for the labor of the swap. He told me that I made him feel bad now for showing him. Hard lesson learned I guess.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    IMHO, with that amount of miles, just leave it alone until you start having problems. If it slips at first you can try changing a little bit of it out, along with the filter and what not as a "cheap" fix that may help it. If reverse goes out, then you can just forget changing the oil. However, if it is not giving you any problems, just be gentle with it but leave the oil alone.

I had a friend with an E36 and he went 230k+ and never changed the fluid. It still was fine even after he swapped out engine and tranny. His engine failed emissions towards the end, so when he swapped that out, he figured he may as well swap trannies also. This transmission was a GM transmission though. There was also no unheard of weak reverse drum issues back during the E36 days. BMW really does not build them like they use to build them.

Just realize one thing...it is often cheaper to swap to another transmission from a salvaged yard than to rebuild your current automatic. Keep websites like car-part.com and lkqonline.com handy if you ever should need it. Low miles, newest in terms of years, and low cost is what you are looking for. Grade A parts or better.

One of my coworkers didn't do enough homework to realize this last month then he had VW replace his broken cam, timing chain, and a few other things that cost him like $3k+ It would have been more cost effective for him to get a used engine and paid for the labor of the swap. He told me that I made him feel bad now for showing him. Hard lesson learned I guess.

I cant thank you enough for all this information. So I think im just going to leave it alone like you said because as of now it drives perfectly fine with no signs or slipping or gears not engaging. I think I will just take it easy and gentle with it. But if anything does go wrong (knock on wood that nothing does) What would be my options? I hear repairing or getting a new auto transmission is really pricey. On the other side how much would a manual tranny swap cost? And is that even a good idea if I was in that situation????

My Cars
    Touring, and a few more
    The best way to not lose reverse is to make sure that you come to a complete stop before changing from drive to reverse, and from reverse to drive. The drum won't stand that kind of abuse. GM transmissions in some of their pickups had the same problem.

I had to replace the converter, front pump and seal ring in mine last spring. It cost me just over 500 dollars for the parts. The labor was mine. It is a pretty straightforward little transmission. It is actually not all that bad. My car had 58K on the odometer when the converter took out the pump. If I owned your car, I'd change the filter and refill the transmission. I would not do a flush though.

As to changing over to a manual transmission, why in the world would you want to do that? Your auto is perfectly fine, and there is a reason why a manual transmission car is worth less at trade in time. There are rare exceptions to that last statement, but that does not apply to an e-46 sedan or wagon.
    Last edited by stickbuilder; 01-13-2011 at 01:31 AM.
    In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT

True......good back up genuity.

Now its at 122,000 miles should I leave it be or change the fluid??? I hear it can be good or bad either way. Opinions pleaseee. Thanks
    That is a decision for you to make....as changing the fluid has been known to put the tranny in the grave.

Mike Miller's advice, I think, is to change it.

IMHO, with that amount of miles, just leave it alone until you start having problems.
    This is what I would do, were it my car.
    Last edited by danewilson77; 01-13-2011 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post
    The best way to not lose reverse is to make sure that you come to a complete stop before changing from drive to reverse, and from reverse to drive. The drum won't stand that kind of abuse. GM transmissions in some of their pickups had the same problem.

I had to replace the converter, front pump and seal ring in mine last spring. It cost me just over 500 dollars for the parts. The labor was mine. It is a pretty straightforward little transmission. It is actually not all that bad. My car had 58K on the odometer when the converter took out the pump. If I owned your car, I'd change the filter and refill the transmission. I would not do a flush though.

As to changing over to a manual transmission, why in the world would you want to do that? Your auto is perfectly fine, and there is a reason why a manual transmission car is worth less at trade in time. There are rare exceptions to that last statement, but that does not apply to an e-46 sedan or wagon.

I know that its working fine and all that but im just saying in the event of something going wrong would a manual transmission swap be the smarest thing to do? But not now it works perfectly fine (knock on wood). So I should just change the filter and add fluid how would I go about doing that? Sorry in advance im totally new to this. And thanks for all the advice so far.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    As to changing over to a manual transmission, why in the world would you want to do that?
    There's alot of interest in that ... I don't think it's a stretch to say that many would love an excuse to swap a manual in for an automatic. BMW has generally sold more automatics than manuals, however, as the used prices have come down, many newer owners would prefer a manual to an automatic, to enhance it's performance orientation.

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    Hey I checked my auto tranny on realoem and got this one
    Automatic transmission A4S200R
    Is this GM or ZF?
    Sahara Beige 323i 5MT, Bilstein struts, Carbon Fiber BMW Performance Strut Bar, Carbon Fiber DINAN Cold Air Intake, BMW BBS Style 124 staggered 18" rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 & 255/35, Front plate delete, Debadge, LED Eagle Eye Tailights, BMW Clear corners, BMW rear License Plate PDC sensors

Monaco Blue 318i Auto, Bilstein struts, BMW front grills and finisher trims of 335i, BMW Style 366 staggered 19" rims, No runflats just M mobility kit, BMW M dead pedal, Front plate delete, Debadge, AC Schnitzer replica rear trunk spoiler, BMW OEM accesories:Umbrella, Rubber floor mats, Trunk Bag Hook, 1st aid kit, Tire preasure gauge, Oil storage bag, Tire tote spare wheel for trips

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
    There's alot of interest in that ... I don't think it's a stretch to say that many would love an excuse to swap a manual in for an automatic. BMW has generally sold more automatics than manuals, however, as the used prices have come down, many newer owners would prefer a manual to an automatic, to enhance it's performance orientation.

Yeah thats exactly what I mean. Im not going to go around hoping my auto transmission fails because that would be terrible and I want it to last as long as possible. But if something was to happen, lets hope it doesnt, but i would definetly want to have a manual transmission put in there. But for now I hope everything stays working well and I can get as many miles out of it as I can. Thanks for everything guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DAES View Post
    Hey I checked my auto tranny on realoem and got this one
    Automatic transmission A4S200R
    Is this GM or ZF?

Yeah Im pretty sure its GM transmission just google A4S200R it will probably come up with an accurate answer.
    Last edited by 330ifanatic; 01-13-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Touring, and a few more
    I know that its working fine and all that but im just saying in the event of something going wrong would a manual transmission swap be the smarest thing to do? But not now it works perfectly fine (knock on wood). So I should just change the filter and add fluid how would I go about doing that? Sorry in advance im totally new to this. And thanks for all the advice so far.
    If you have an independent shop that you trust, then that would be okay. In an ideal scenario, you would be able to perform this yourself. Most reputable transmission shops would be able to do this as well, but there is the issue with them having the correct transmission fluid. Removing the fill plug can be an issue as well. I'd look for a good reputable indy shop.

There is more to the transmission conversion to a manual than just bolting in the tranny, and pedal assembly. There are issues with the computer system too. You would need to just about buy a rolling wreck and use it as a full donor car.
    Last edited by stickbuilder; 01-13-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    GM
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    GM
    Good document right there.
    You were right its a GM transmission, I am so so happy about this b/c with less than 42k on my tranny and babying it probably wont be in my hands whenever it starts giving problems! Hurray for my GM tranny!
    Sahara Beige 323i 5MT, Bilstein struts, Carbon Fiber BMW Performance Strut Bar, Carbon Fiber DINAN Cold Air Intake, BMW BBS Style 124 staggered 18" rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 & 255/35, Front plate delete, Debadge, LED Eagle Eye Tailights, BMW Clear corners, BMW rear License Plate PDC sensors

Monaco Blue 318i Auto, Bilstein struts, BMW front grills and finisher trims of 335i, BMW Style 366 staggered 19" rims, No runflats just M mobility kit, BMW M dead pedal, Front plate delete, Debadge, AC Schnitzer replica rear trunk spoiler, BMW OEM accesories:Umbrella, Rubber floor mats, Trunk Bag Hook, 1st aid kit, Tire preasure gauge, Oil storage bag, Tire tote spare wheel for trips

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    May wanna think about doing the refresh kit on it though.

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    May wanna think about doing the refresh kit on it though.
    By this you mean...

Get 25 liter oil part number on the pdf what else for it?

My Cars
    88 BMW 325i convertible
    I

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk