Thread: E36 In-Tank fuel pump setup

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt

E36 In-Tank fuel pump setup

So I am finally going to use the instructions found here: http://www.evosport.com/tech/e36_twin_fuel_pumps.pdf

And install a second pump, hence running a duel intank pump setup and dual return also. The reason why I am not going the Bosch Motorspor 044 way is that this would give me hell at the yearly inspection (MOT roadworthy test). With dual in-tank setup nobody will ever notice.

I currently have a single in-tank Walbro 255 and it seems to work fine, I have monitored the fuel pressure. Off course I have not monitored the flow, that is a bit more complicated but my Wideband does not show any leaning out.

So to the question: If I keep the single Walbro 255 on one side, and put a standard EURO M3 pump on the other side, and run them togeather, is there any possibility that this will alter the flow rate?

What I am looking for is solving possible starvation. I am confident that the single Walbro is keeping up.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

3.0L S50B32 EURO Single Vanos with ITB's and Twin Garret GT2252 Turbo
    VEMS Standalone (www.vems.hu) most features enabled.
    Brakes, suspention, rollcage, seats, harness, wheels and tires.

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GT110 View Post
    So I am finally going to use the instructions found here: http://www.evosport.com/tech/e36_twin_fuel_pumps.pdf

And install a second pump, hence running a duel intank pump setup and dual return also. The reason why I am not going the Bosch Motorspor 044 way is that this would give me hell at the yearly inspection (MOT roadworthy test). With dual in-tank setup nobody will ever notice.

I currently have a single in-tank Walbro 255 and it seems to work fine, I have monitored the fuel pressure. Off course I have not monitored the flow, that is a bit more complicated but my Wideband does not show any leaning out.

So to the question: If I keep the single Walbro 255 on one side, and put a standard EURO M3 pump on the other side, and run them togeather, is there any possibility that this will alter the flow rate?

What I am looking for is solving possible starvation. I am confident that the single Walbro is keeping up.
    Why not try a single bosch 040 intank first?

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Why not try a single bosch 040 intank first?
    This mainly has to do with potential starvation in high-G bends, not that I need more flow in general. So the trick is to flow from both sides of the tank.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

My Cars
    yes
    This mainly has to do with potential starvation in high-G bends, not that I need more flow in general. So the trick is to flow from both sides of the tank.
    The better trick is to return to the drivers side pod and pump from there to the pass pod where your walbro is feeding your fuel rail. Put the pump outlet from the drivers pod directly into the pass side sump tray of the walbro. I did this to a 95M3 turbo track car 3 years ago and I can run down to the light is on!!

There's some plumbing drawings somewhere if you search on the track section.

Don

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    The better trick is to return to the drivers side pod and pump from there to the pass pod where your walbro is feeding your fuel rail. Put the pump outlet from the drivers pod directly into the pass side sump tray of the walbro. I did this to a 95M3 turbo track car 3 years ago and I can run down to the light is on!!

Don
    So in fact you are turning the passenger side into a giant swirl tank . I guess the gravity controlled way beetween the two tanks takes care of the problem of overfilling the passenger side.

This actually sounds much better, and much simpler to install. No T-pieces needed, I can utilise the original return hose and the only effective change is a more powerfull pump on the drivers side.

Thanks.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3

Don
    This is precisely what I am doing on my E39 M5 and what my shop does on their E36 racecars. They have found it is the best solution for avoiding fuel starvation during hard cornering while retaining the stock fuel tank.

--Peter

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Call me silly, but I thought this was the only way to hook it up (Driver feed to pass).
    I thought the drivers side was the return from the rail, then the pump from the
    drivers side pumps in the pass side, which that drivers pump then feeds the rail.

My understanding of the drivers side pump is that it doesn't run continuously like the pass pump. Its only activated to level out the fuel in the tank.

So now this draws the question of :
    1)Why would one replace the driver side pump with a bosch or walbro
    2)what are our options in ways of hooking the bmw fuel pumps/systems

My Cars
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted 528 View Post
    Call me silly, but I thought this was the only way to hook it up (Driver feed to pass).
    I thought the drivers side was the return from the rail, then the pump from the
    drivers side pumps in the pass side, which that drivers pump then feeds the rail.

My understanding of the drivers side pump is that it doesn't run continuously like the pass pump. Its only activated to level out the fuel in the tank.

So now this draws the question of :
    1)Why would one replace the driver side pump with a bosch or walbro
    2)what are our options in ways of hooking the bmw fuel pumps/systems

No, the drivers side pump runs when the pass side pump runs. The theory is simple, the pass pump returns to the drivers side. The drivers pump pumps to the pass side. Hence, you get an almost "level" situation automatically. It DOES run a little heavier in the pass side on my setup anyway...which is good since it balances out the weight of the driver.

Works great...I use the stock pump in the drivers side and a walbro in the pass. There's pictures of my setup in my build thread....I think.

Don

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    I was looking for the pictures, could not find them .. (for now at least)
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    No, the drivers side pump runs when the pass side pump runs. The theory is simple, the pass pump returns to the drivers side. The drivers pump pumps to the pass side. Hence, you get an almost "level" situation automatically. It DOES run a little heavier in the pass side on my setup anyway...which is good since it balances out the weight of the driver.

Works great...I use the stock pump in the drivers side and a walbro in the pass. There's pictures of my setup in my build thread....I think.

Don
    Thanks for clearing that up don.
    Now why would someone want to replace both oem driver and pass pump
    with a walbro/bosch. That wouldn't make sense ,would it?

My Cars
    yes
    Thanks for clearing that up don.
    Now why would someone want to replace both oem driver and pass pump
    with a walbro/bosch. That wouldn't make sense ,would it?
    Replacing both with a walbro would not make sense. Putting 2 walbro's in the pass side tank and leaving the return loop as BMW designed would make sense(good for street/drag racing)....except in road racing. Putting a walbro in the pass and relocating the stock to the drivers tank would make sense for road racing.

Don

I was looking for the pictures, could not find them .. (for now at least)
    Hmmm....I'll have to take a look too. I ran a fuel rated hose(3/8" me thinks) from the drivers side pump "out"(I used my old stock pump)under the sheet metal that is the bottom of the seat area and then into the extra plastic fitting on the stock holder(drill it out). I then used a piece of aluminum tubing that I pressed into the holder that directs the returning fuel(from the drivers pump)directly into the pass sump tray. I removed the gravity/siphon stock system from inside the tank and just allowed the return from the fuel rail to dump into the drivers tank.

UPDATE...sorry I DON'T have pics...I did this AFTER I kept suffering from fuel starvation on the track. Never took any shots.

Don

http://www.pumpkininc.com/content/doc/guide/ag-8.pdf

Here, these guys do it similar to the way I did it. Except the "T"'s that return to both sides and pump from both sides. Look up the "bimmerworld" starvation kit and essentially it's what I did...except for the part where I ran a separate line from the drivers tank that puts the returned/pumped fuel directly into the sump tray on the passenger side.

Don
    Last edited by dcvee; 01-12-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Replacing both with a walbro would not make sense. Putting 2 walbro's in the pass side tank and leaving the return loop as BMW designed would make sense(good for street/drag racing)....except in road racing. Putting a walbro in the pass and relocating the stock to the drivers tank would make sense for road racing.
    Don, I think he is thinking the car comes from the factory with a drivers side pump. This is not correct right? it is gravity fed from factory correct?

Also, wasn't there someone who setup a dual intake on drivers side who used ventury effect of returning flow to pull gas from drivers to pass tank?
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    my car did not come with pumps on both sides, but I have upgraded to that system (the one from the S50B32 (or the EURO EVO)).

What about the fuel level? If you pump to the pass side non stop with the OEM pass side pump in the right side does that not screw up the level sensor?
    Last edited by GT110; 01-12-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    Don, I think he is thinking the car comes from the factory with a drivers side pump. This is not correct right? it is gravity fed from factory correct?

Also, wasn't there someone who setup a dual intake on drivers side who used ventury effect of returning flow to pull gas from drivers to pass tank?
    Yes you are correct! That was my exact thought.I thought there was 2 pumps in our cars (1 on each side) I guess i'll have to just crack it open, take a look, and get a better understanding.

My Cars
    yes
    Min did car did not come with pumps on both sides, but I have upgraded to that system (the one from the S50B32 (or the EURO EVO)).

What about the fuel level? If you pump to the pass side non stop with the OEM pass side pump in the right side does that not screw up the level sensor?
    No it doesn't screw up the reading. Due to the open part of the tank in the center it free flows from right to left and evens out. Mine works perfectly. Check out the track forum for more information on this too.

Yes you are correct! That was my exact thought.I thought there was 2 pumps in our cars (1 on each side) I guess i'll have to just crack it open, take a look, and get a better understanding.
    Nope, just one. On the pass side. There is an internal siphon device that pulls fuel from drivers side tank and keeps the fuel relatively level. The stock fuel rail returns to the drivers side tank.

Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post

Exactly. Didn't catch that. The stock system uses venturi effect to provide the siphon that levels the tank. And yes, many have used dual fuel pumps in the pass side..which works great for drag cars. Not so well for road racing however.

Don
    Last edited by dcvee; 01-12-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Nope, just one. On the pass side. There is an internal siphon device that pulls fuel from drivers side tank and keeps the fuel relatively level. The stock fuel rail returns to the drivers side tank.
    This is the way the E39 M5 is setup as well. The modification consists principally in replacing the siphon mechanism with a pump.

--Peter

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    Thanks guys for clearing it all up for me!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    You've done a twin turbo conversion but the MOT will worry about an inline fuel pump?
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    1995 M3 GTtt
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    You've done a twin turbo conversion but the MOT will worry about an inline fuel pump?
    Yes, I have not found a company that makes TUV (TUeV) or ABE approved fuel systems, but in order to be street legal here (and in Germany) I need those documents.

I have TUV/ABE documents for all the things in my car (except the exhaust, which I revert to stock once a year), the rest is covered, the suspention, cage, seats, belts, steering wheel....

Regarding the engine conversion and also the Ceramic brakes I have had that specially TUeV'd in the same order as the big tuners do (Hamann, Hartge, G-Power, ESS.....) and I had to pay a fat bill for that. I actually could start manufacturing a kit now
    1995 E36 M3 GT #111