Thread: Newbie Help: Programming 2011 E70

My Cars
    X5

Newbie Help: Programming 2011 E70

New to BMW's and have a 2011 X5 35i on order.

I'd like to be able to program some additional features (euro features, etc) as well as read/clear diag codes.

I knew nothing about BMW protocols, tools and codings this morning, but have read quite a bit in the past few hours, and think I'm starting to get on the right track... I've done very similar work with my VW Touareg with a eBay KLL cable and downloaded VAGCOM software, so I have some idea what these things look like, but again, zero experience with the BMW protocols, cables, and tools.

This is kind of what I think I need to do so far. Will this work for my 2011 E70?
    • Download / install / run some combo of INPA & EDIABAS (and of course learn much more about it)
    • Possibly need to set this all up to run inside a VMWARE shell? (Though I don't understand why yet)
    • Use my existing VAGCOM cable, possibly will need to modify it.
    • Try to figure out how tools like GT1, DIS, SSS fit into the picture.
    • After I have a working system, figure out how to tweak the features I'm looking for...

Any tips on specific posts or threads that might help me out? Am I on the right track? There are so many very long threads, and sometimes I end up 20 minutes into a thread about some software before I realize that it is not geared towards my generation BMW (like NCSexpert, I think).

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by pfbz; 01-09-2011 at 04:59 PM.

My Cars
    X5
    Bump for any help?

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
    Possibly need to set this all up to run inside a VMWARE shell? (Though I don't understand why yet)
    You shouldn't have to run Ediabas or INPA in a VMWare environment.
    Use my existing VAGCOM cable, possibly will need to modify it.
    It might be both easier and cheaper in the long-run, to just buy a dedicated BMW interface. You can buy a decent Omitec Ediabas clone-cable, for less than UK£100 (US$150).
    Try to figure out how tools like GT1, DIS, SSS fit into the picture.
    GT1 is the old Siemens diagnostic tablet computer, that BMW used to use in dealers. DIS is the old diagnostic software tool, now replaced by ISTA-D in dealers. SSS or “Progman” is the old coding/programming software tool, now replaced by ISTA-P in dealers. Both DIS and SSS/Progman will require a VMWare environment to run in, on your home laptop/pc. To use SSS/Progman on your 2011 E70, you would need to modify the Oracle database within the software. This can be difficult to do, and the results can be “hit-and-miss”. Sometimes it works fine, and other times it can “brick” the ECU you're working on, therefore not recommended.
    Any tips on specific posts or threads that might help me out? Am I on the right track? There are so many very long threads, and sometimes I end up 20 minutes into a thread about some software before I realize that it is not geared towards my generation BMW (like NCSexpert, I think).
    INPA, NCS, ToolSet32, etc. are all fine to use on your 2011 E70. The only stumbling block you're likely to come up against, is keeping your data files current, as you'll need to source and extract it from ISTA-P discs (Current ISTA-P is v2.40.0).

I think that covers the basics, but if you've got anymore questions, post them here or drop me a PM.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    FAL summed it up pretty good, but one more caveat I might mention is that your OBD port probably has ethernet on pin-8. Pin-8 was used on older cars as the 2nd K-line. Yours is most definitely D-Can so you don't need the k-lines, but if the cable is K+Dcan (most newer ones are) then you may need to de-solder pin-8.

To FAL: I just spent days updating WinKFP and NCS to V39 and now you tell me V40 is out? It never ends. Also, have you played with the Oracle side of SSS? I've been poking around (I used to be an Oracle DBA) but can't locate the credentials for SQLPlus. I assume they are embedded in one or more of the PHP scripts.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Poole View Post
    To FAL: I just spent days updating WinKFP and NCS to V39 and now you tell me V40 is out? It never ends.
    Yes, sorry Gene... Are you not using Total Commander or something similar?

Also, have you played with the Oracle side of SSS?
    Yes, very briefly, but with you being a former Oracle database admin', you'll know alot more about it than me. Besides, with NCS, ToolSet32, E-Sys and a stand-alone/dedicated ISTA-P (removing the need for an ISIS server) being around, i didn't see much point in pursuing it.

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi Fal the standalone ista.p looks to be the future tool for us hope an upgrade-able version is available soon..

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    gk posted some pictures on DK yesterday of the Standalone ISTA-P v38 in action with his chinese OPS clone. Looks very very promising.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    Yes, sorry Gene... Are you not using Total Commander or something similar?
    Using Unix standard utils. `cp -u' works for only copying newer files. I did some simple shell scripts to extract the various daten directories and bundled everything up into a structure that was more conducive to winkfp's "Import" menu.

Yes, very briefly, but with you being a former Oracle database admin', you'll know alot more about it than me. Besides, with NCS, ToolSet32, E-Sys and a stand-alone/dedicated ISTA-P (removing the need for an ISIS server) being around, i didn't see much point in pursuing it.
    I didn't know ISTA/P would work stand-alone. That's interesting and I look forward to the learning curve once this becomes more readily accessible.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    I didn't know ISTA/P would work stand-alone. That's interesting and I look forward to the learning curve once this becomes more readily accessible.
    I don't think it does normally, this has been something this gentleman has been working on for the past several months. He's got it setup that it will even talk to OP(P)S units.

I'm not really sure if you can continue to use your K+CAN or D+CAN cables with it, so it might require purchasing a true OPS unit, or maybe a J-2534 compliant cable in order to use it.

We'll find out more as he makes it more available to greater use, right now it's in a beta testing stage with a small group of people.

My Cars
    X5
    OK, trying to get this all figured out...

The only stumbling block you're likely to come up against, is keeping your data files current, as you'll need to source and extract it from ISTA-P discs (Current ISTA-P is v2.40.0)
    I just downloaded the v2.40 SP Daten files (links in this thread) so hopefully that will help with the 2011 E7

To use SSS/Progman on your 2011 E70, you would need to modify the Oracle database within the software. This can be difficult to do...therefore not recommended.
    OK, so SSS/Progman are out.

DIS is the old diagnostic software tool, now replaced by ISTA-D in dealers. ... INPA, NCS, ToolSet32, etc. are all fine to use on your 2011 E70.
    Still a bit confused about this... Will INPA/NCS/ToolSet32 with the correct daten files give me a complete solution for reading diagnostics and modifying options? Or do I need to set up DIS or EasyDIS in a VMware machine as well?

I'm not sure it's worth the additional complication, but has anybody had sucess setting up INPA/NCS/Toolset32 on under OSX/VMWare Fusion?

Or DIS on a VMWare unix virtual machine under an OSX primary host?

My Cars
    honda
    Hello Fal,
    I am new on the forum.
    Could you explain to me what I can do with Toolset32? I worked with NCS and Winkfp, not much.
    Sorry for bad english.
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 02-09-2011 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    OK, so SSS/Progman are out.
    In my personal opinion, yes. The modern dealer replacement for it, is ISTA/P and IBT.

Still a bit confused about this... Will INPA/NCS/ToolSet32 with the correct daten files give me a complete solution for reading diagnostics and modifying options? Or do I need to set up DIS or EasyDIS in a VMware machine as well?
    It will give you the same solution, as the BMW engineers used in the factory. INPA, NCS, NFS/WinKFP or ToolSet32 are not pretty to look at or easy to work with, but they are the best for E-chassis'.

Quote Originally Posted by miskic View Post
    Sorry for bad english.
    Your English is good mate, don't worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by miskic View Post
    Could you explain to me what I can do with Toolset32? I worked with NCS and Winkfp, not much.
    The best and simplest way to explain it, would probably be to say, that you can do "special and targeted jobs with it". Here's an example (you can get the program in English too).

Last edited by FAL; 02-21-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    The best and simplest way to explain it, would probably be to say, that you can do "special and targeted jobs with it". Here's an example (you can get the program in English too).

Can you give us some examples of what these "special and targeted jobs" are?

FOR RENT: Valve Shim Kit and Tool | RTAB tool
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1614411

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by kkamakasi View Post
    Can you give us some examples of what these "special and targeted jobs" are?
    These "special and targeted jobs" vary significantly from module to module. Most of it is simply just reading off data like VIN and part numbers, but there are other specific things that can be done.... like reading off the max RPM and max speed achieved (through the DME).. or changing the bluetooth passcode on a TCU/ULF

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    These "special and targeted jobs" vary significantly from module to module. Most of it is simply just reading off data like VIN and part numbers, but there are other specific things that can be done.... like reading off the max RPM and max speed achieved (through the DME).. or changing the bluetooth passcode on a TCU/ULF
    So it's not actual programming or coding but just a program to get information?

FOR RENT: Valve Shim Kit and Tool | RTAB tool
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1614411

My Cars
    2011 X6 4.0d E71
    WinKFP and Inpa K+dCan interface can program and update CIC ecu ?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by kkamakasi View Post
    So it's not actual programming or coding but just a program to get information?
    Pretty much. It can change the VIN on some modules, and I think it can activate voice control on some of the early TCUs, but that's about it.

My Cars
    2009 year bmw x5 e70
    hello i have bmw x5 e70 2009 year . i need know how to change USA's radio frequensy to Europian radio frequensy. via Ncsexpert mode program. Thank you

My Cars
    750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by gabimm6 View Post
    hello i have bmw x5 e70 2009 year . i need know how to change USA's radio frequensy to Europian radio frequensy. via Ncsexpert mode program. Thank you
    Hey Guys,

i have a 2008 X5 with the CCC system and would also like to know how to enable even numbers in the radio frequencies.

You guys seem to have a lot of knowledge and hopefully can help me and the above poster.

Thanks

Smiler51

My Cars
    2008 x5 3.0i
    This is a shot in the dark but im currently trying to update a e70 thats having a intermittent check engine light. I have no problems reseting with the BMW tools ect or connection with the cable, my issue is a little more intense. its an e70 with a Assembly line code of 7569969 but for the love of money i cant find the data file ANYWHERE in any of the folders of SP DATEN, I've even checked every single folder for ever model. I have even manual searched the files in winkfp. can anybody supply me with the latest Bios/software for this 7569969 or shoot me a link to the ECU family where I can get it?

Would be a major help for me to make sure this control module has got a good flash.

much thanks