Thread: iDrive - new language translation & install

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i sedan

iDrive - new language translation & install

Hello guys,
    I have founded this thread because I definitely need your help and advices.
    I am trying to figure out how to translate and install any language to BMW iDrive. My english is quite good and I actually don't need to. But my mother always doesn't understand what the car is trying to say to her.
    I am already aware of all tools existing for BMW but I still can't figure it out.
    So I successfully installed before INPA/EDIABAS, DIS GT1, SSS/Progman, NCS Expert, WinKFP and all these tools I made to work and they work fine.

I know that NCS Expert won't do the trick because it is only for coding the unit options. SSS/Progman offers some other language conversions/retrofits but it can't be edited (or can be - I just can't find it).
    So now I just guessing but my wild tip is to dump M-ASK or CCC unit with WinKFP. Then somehow decompile to source code (probably IPS) and modify this module file. Then recompile back (no problem) and reprogram module (no problem too).
    If you have any clue how to do it or have another procedure I would love to see it.

(And for some people who think it is not possible.. just have a look here:
    http://www.autacesky.cz/produkty/ces...fessional-ccc/)

My Cars
    Bmw X6 (E71)
    Quote Originally Posted by mentuli View Post
    Hello guys,
    I have founded this thread because I definitely need your help and advices.
    I am trying to figure out how to translate and install any language to BMW iDrive. My english is quite good and I actually don't need to. But my mother always doesn't understand what the car is trying to say to her.
    I am already aware of all tools existing for BMW but I still can't figure it out.
    So I successfully installed before INPA/EDIABAS, DIS GT1, SSS/Progman, NCS Expert, WinKFP and all these tools I made to work and they work fine.

I know that NCS Expert won't do the trick because it is only for coding the unit options. SSS/Progman offers some other language conversions/retrofits but it can't be edited (or can be - I just can't find it).
    So now I just guessing but my wild tip is to dump M-ASK or CCC unit with WinKFP. Then somehow decompile to source code (probably IPS) and modify this module file. Then recompile back (no problem) and reprogram module (no problem too).
    If you have any clue how to do it or have another procedure I would love to see it.

(And for some people who think it is not possible.. just have a look here:
    http://www.autacesky.cz/produkty/ces...fessional-ccc/)
    Hey mentuli, didt u find out how to change the language? im also look for a guide/howto for change the lang..

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i sedan
    Actually I haven't done any progress so far.
    I was trying to figure it out but it is hard as hell.
    What I have just found out:
    It is nonsense to try decrypt official DATA file for ECUs prepared in Progman or ISTA files. The companies which managed successfully to implement another language into iDrive are even using the already existing software in your iDrive ECU.
    I was trying to find out what tool they are using but they are guarding their secret as hell.
    I am afraid that it is not possible via the classic OBD protocol.
    I will now order cable with D-CAN which I can use for CAN hacking but I am not sure with this move either.

If anybody has any clue just post it...

My Cars
    BMW E91 2008
    Hi there,

I'm starting, for a while , to know something about BMW Diagnosis and Coding.
    I'm tired to read so much things and some of them confusing or miss understood.

mentuli, where have you got all that software? Which versions?

I've an E91 from 2008 and i need that the software are recent enough for my car.

Thank you very much,

And anything i would know or try for this subject for change language i will share, because i want it too..

Regards,
    André

My Cars
    2007 MINI Cooper S
    The languages available in the CCC or CIC are determined by the vehicle order and the software version. This means, you need to change the VO to include the language you want to have in the CCC and then you need to REPROGRAM the CCC/CIC unit with either Progman or WinKFP.

Be careful though, as programming through OBD2 is not recommended. The ideal way to reprogram the CCC/CIC is through the optical OPPS (or ICOM) interface.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs3d2 View Post
    The languages available in the CCC or CIC are determined by the vehicle order and the software version. This means, you need to change the VO to include the language you want to have in the CCC and then you need to REPROGRAM the CCC/CIC unit with either Progman or WinKFP.

Be careful though, as programming through OBD2 is not recommended. The ideal way to reprogram the CCC/CIC is through the optical OPPS (or ICOM) interface.
    Hi alexs3d2,
    thanks for the reply and showing some possibilities. However this procedure does not solve my problem. Reprogramming of head unit with changing the VO does only the partial thing. There are just few languages offered by BMW and I suppose thanks to that we can ask the dealer to change the language pack. But what if I want Czech or Polish language? This just does not exist in official BMW software pack.
    But the solution I am searching for is much more complex than just reprogramming with a official software.
    As you could see in my first post the link to autacesky.cz where these fuckers are using their own procedure with already existing software in unit (they are not reprogramming the head unit) and somehow they go deeper. I am not absolutely sure if they are using the ordinary OBD-II or D-CAN cable but based on my research they probably are. I was searching through the other servers. I tried some others with google translator but nothing about the changing language in iDrives. I haven't seen any tool which can do more or go deeper. In fact I am not really sure how CAN protocol for example works and how I can use the possibilities.
    If anybody has any clue or he found something on the internet before just post it here. I would be very grateful. If someone knows or finds something what can lead me I would donate him via PayPal in a minute...

My Cars
    BMW E91 2008
    Hi there,
    I've read somewhere (i can't find now) that the CCC is based on VxWorks operating System to work with NavTeq maps, probably what this company do is change the software based on this Operating System or even can change to other operating system if at least as support to comunicate with all modules installed on the car.

The references that i have that talk a little bit of that are: from e90post, a reference at JAVA, and at 5series.

I have read a lot of things, and what i got it, is there are a lot of versions, the CCC and the CIC can be diferent from diferent models of bimmers, at least from the post's all over the net. I presume that this information is secretly keept by the ones that knows how it works.

But from the site that mentuli mencioned, i assume that the only thing they change is the images, the text on menus and the language for voice control, its not a complete change of operating system...

Share what ever you kmow

Regards,

André

My Cars
    2004 BMW 525i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepalma View Post
    Hi there,
    I've read somewhere (i can't find now) that the CCC is based on VxWorks operating System to work with NavTeq maps, probably what this company do is change the software based on this Operating System or even can change to other operating system if at least as support to comunicate with all modules installed on the car.

The references that i have that talk a little bit of that are: from e90post, a reference at JAVA, and at 5series.

I have read a lot of things, and what i got it, is there are a lot of versions, the CCC and the CIC can be diferent from diferent models of bimmers, at least from the post's all over the net. I presume that this information is secretly keept by the ones that knows how it works.

But from the site that mentuli mencioned, i assume that the only thing they change is the images, the text on menus and the language for voice control, its not a complete change of operating system...

Share what ever you kmow

Regards,

André
    Hi André,
    thanks for the useful info. When I did my research I bumped onto VxWorks as well. During that time I was really crazy and wanted to find the solution. So I personally called VxWorks corporation but I probably have asked wrong questions. That time I was thinking about reverse engineering of VxWorks system running in iDrive. However I was told it is not possible to dump and decrypt the data. Of course - reverse engineering is not the answer and there has to be some way how to access the files within the VxWorks RTOS system. But how? It is the mystery for me.
    I know that some guys have tried to access their CCC or CIC modules via FTP via the LAN cable built on the base of OBD port. And it worked .. partially. But somehow I think it is not the solution as well since it can be hacked through normal USB OBD cable. Or I think....

My Cars
    2010|535i|x-drive
    hey guys does anyone have any further update on this, I stumbled upon this issue over the past few days

I've been trying to install Asian language set into my idrive I have my car here in the US and from what I've been reading is one person can do it, they charge an arm and a leg, and other than that it is impossible....well it clearly isn't and I want to make a write up to stop people others from monopolizing services that we should have on the forums for those who want to diy

thanks

Rab

My Cars
    E60
    There is news about this topic?
    I am also interested in finding out

thanks

My Cars
    2010|535i|x-drive
    do you have any information on the topic by any chance because what I know as of now is that the Asian countries (including Europe) run on a different version of the OS in the vehicle (Vxwork) which supports the Asian character font's. Thus to add these additional languages would mean that you need a entirely new (region specific) CIC unit.

But in the instance you had at foreign unit you still need the map data to run the navigation off of. Then that creates the issue of a foreign map (let’s say for example a map of New York/North America) running on a Asian coded CIC unit (which would think it is in [Lets say for example] Korea). The issue would not be actually getting the unit to physically work which it would without a problem (it would just use latin characters where necessary) but the pain in the butt would kick in when the navigation unit tries to register itself (then to my understanding it would shut off).

Thus I think it is very possible (and what I think this other programmer does is) trick the unit into thinking it is in the proper physical region while using the registration code from the previous navigation unit (or using another reg key).

] Any help? (I am not saying I'm right, this is what I've been able to piece together of the situation).

My Cars
    E36 323i, E90 325i
    Hi

I have a Japanese 2008 E90 with CCC. I want it to use English only. I know it's one of the languages in there.
    I just want the language to default to English instead of Japanese. I think this should only require coding and not programming.
    I don't have an ICOM adapter so I don't want to try programming without one

I have tried the following codes but I still get Japanese.

There is are codes I have tried:

Code:
    CAPPL
    --------------------------------------------
    WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_1 
    englisch                english

WAEHLBARE_SPRACHE_2
    us                      USA

LAST_SPEECH      Last Language

DEF_LAST_SPEECH    Default last speech for Car/Key Memory
    There are some other codes I haven't tried yet.

Code:
    CAPPL
    --------------------------------
    JAPAN
        aktiv
    BA_LAENDER_VARIANTE
        japan
    MAX_PHONE_VOL
        japan
        japan_mulf

CHOST
    ----------------------
    MEDIA_CHAR_ENCODING
       shifted_jis              spacing for Japanese characters
       (iso                        iso character spacing)  alternative value
    The first one "Japan Active" could be a global switch that Japanizes the CCC.

Has anyone experimented with these codes?
    Has anyone succeeded in changing the language of a Japanese car to English?
    Last edited by dazz1; 07-22-2015 at 07:02 AM.

My Cars
    325i M
    Hi,

To change the Japanese language and other Japanese specific settings (Like the reverse gong) you really need to make changes to the VO (Vehicle order) with NCS Expert then at least code the necessary modules so that they setup according to the VO

Japan National version VO is L807A and Australia/NZ National Version VO is L810A There are other Jap specific things in the VO you need to change also.

By just changing the current code as above will mean the changes will not preserve if your car has a software update at a BMW dealership

My Cars
    2008 BMW X5 3.5d
    believe it or not the BMW X5 2008 which I own does not have English as an available language in the CCC unit, this is because it is a Swiss model and so only has German, French and Italian installed - as such it is missing the most common second language in Europe, certainly the most common among potential BMW customers I would say.
    Does anyone know how to add a language to this unit? Can it really be that difficult? I still can't really believe that, even back in 2008, they didn't just put a common set of EU languages in.

My Cars
    2002 BMW E46 330ci
    Hello everybody. Mentuli was my friend, but he is not on this world anymore He had accident. And I didnt ask him in right time, now it is late
    Anyway, why im trying to write here is question if someone solve this? Because im trying too to get czech language to the CCC and CIC. And MK4 too. Does anybody know how to do it? Im guessing, it is possible to get data from CCC and change the excact words and load the back. Does anybody know ? Topic is 7 years old and im hope it can be changed I found how to change to seven languages (most usable languages in world) But I want more to do. Just the menu.

My Cars
    2008 BMW X5 3.5d
    Quote Originally Posted by KubaSKL View Post
    Hello everybody. Mentuli was my friend, but he is not on this world anymore He had accident. And I didnt ask him in right time, now it is late
    Anyway, why im trying to write here is question if someone solve this? Because im trying too to get czech language to the CCC and CIC. And MK4 too. Does anybody know how to do it? Im guessing, it is possible to get data from CCC and change the excact words and load the back. Does anybody know ? Topic is 7 years old and im hope it can be changed I found how to change to seven languages (most usable languages in world) But I want more to do. Just the menu.

you say you found out 'how to change to seven languages' - can you share that information? I still have only the three I mentioned above :-(

My Cars
    2002 BMW E46 330ci
    It is easy, just Codierdaten_lesen in NCS, change via NCS Dummy the lang which you see and code it bag SG_Codieren
    There are many ways like use ISTA-P or more. BUT THE MAIN THING why Im writing here, is if someone can tell us, how to add another language or make own words translation in iDrive.

My Cars
    2013 BMW e92
    Hello KubaSKL.

I have something for you...

My Cars
    E87
    Quote Originally Posted by HUBAUER View Post
    Hello KubaSKL.

I have something for you...

Hey Hubauer, could you share your findings please?